Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:26 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Tekkie, it sounds like you're on the user side of supply change mgt. Is that correct? Are you looking at companies that are on the software side of the business? Given you're in Detroit, would likely have to look at another relo, but I would think that your experience as a user, and your obvious technical knowledge might bring something to the party for a software company.
Yeah, you are correct.

I'm not really familiar with the software side, or at least who the big name players are. I did work for a company that designed their own warehouse management suite and sold it to warehouse to manage their inventory. But that is the extent of my experience with that.

Do you have some suggestions to get me started? I don't know who the major players would be on the software side.

And I am open to relocating if that is necessary. I wouldn't be opposed to going back to Denver, where I moved from a few months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Unfortunately SCM is not one of my fields so, other than SAP, I'm not that familiar. But a search for "supply chain management software companies" produces a lot of links like THIS. Also, read any of the links that are associated with Gartner. They've long been software consultant gurus.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Here's what I'm confused about. You say it was my choice to work until 1am. I did not want to work until 1am, but that is what they expected. I work for an IT sales company and yesterday was 3rd quarter end. That said, the expectation was that all deals would be booked prior to the end of the night. Are you familiar with a sales environment? I think this is a pretty common practice.

If I would have signed off on my own, without their acknowledgement, wouldn't they just fire me? You're right in that they don't have a gun to my head forcing me to do anything. However, if I don't do as they say, wouldn't they chalk that up as insubordination and use it as a reason to fire me? I think they would, or at the very least, use it as a reason to write me up. If I can help it, I don't want to leave on bad terms.

This isn't a situation where it was like, "oh, well there was a lot of work to be completed and I stayed up late to complete it to be a good soldier". It was more like, "there is work that must be completed tonight and you must stay online to complete it". In my opinion, I don't have a choice as long as I want to have a job there (which I don't want anymore, but I do need the money).
I've worked in several different high-stress, deadline-driven industries. I still set boundaries. If you don't do all that they want, will they fire you? I don't know. It's always a possibility. However, you can work until 1am every single day and they can still fire you. Hard-working, talented workers are fired all the time and for reasons that have nothing to do with their job performance. I've seen it time and time again.

Are the late nights frequent occurrences? Or is this an end-of-quarter thing? If it's once a quarter, maybe you can plan in advance. If it's a frequent occurrence, then you are going to have to make some decisions about how many hours you are comfortable working and then brainstorm ideas to make it a reality.

Also, how are your coworkers dealing with this? Is there anyone there not working crazy hours? Maybe you could observe how they do it.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:04 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I've worked in several different high-stress, deadline-driven industries. I still set boundaries. If you don't do all that they want, will they fire you? I don't know. It's always a possibility. However, you can work until 1am every single day and they can still fire you. Hard-working, talented workers are fired all the time and for reasons that have nothing to do with their job performance. I've seen it time and time again.

Are the late nights frequent occurrences? Or is this an end-of-quarter thing? If it's once a quarter, maybe you can plan in advance. If it's a frequent occurrence, then you are going to have to make some decisions about how many hours you are comfortable working and then brainstorm ideas to make it a reality.

Also, how are your coworkers dealing with this? Is there anyone there not working crazy hours? Maybe you could observe how they do it.
It happens particularly during end of quarter or end of year (the last two weeks of December are absolutely atrocious; easily 15 hour back to back days), but can happen really at any time they want something booked to meet some sort of discounted pricing deadline. For example, maybe one of our distributors has special pricing on some sort of equipment and we need a deal booked ASAP to make sure the pricing is recognized. I've worked several late nights over the course of the year due to things like this. This certainly sets a record for time though.

As far as how many co-workers are dealing with it, I can't say exactly how many. I work remotely. However, it has been something often complained about in our annual culture survey that is conducted by the HR department. So I know it's an issue. Management just doesn't care about it IMO. The ability to make $$$ and satisfy ridiculous promises for our clients far exceeds the value they put on our work/life balance.

You're right in that you can get fired no matter what, no matter how many hours you work. But I'd prefer to explain to potential future employers that I got fired or let go because they had to cut back in the department rather than due to insubordination. So that's why I don't really see it as an option to just tell them to screw off, in a manner of speaking.

Bottom line is that I don't think I have a choice but to get out of here. This company is not going to change and I'm not going to adapt to it in a way where I will be happy working here. I'm burnt out: tired of working the long hours, tired of being talked down to by arrogant a**hole sales people, and tired of the lack of support by management.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times

Paul Simon - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover + lyrics - YouTube

Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:

This isn't a situation where it was like, "oh, well there was a lot of work to be completed and I stayed up late to complete it to be a good soldier". It was more like, "there is work that must be completed tonight and you must stay online to complete it". In my opinion, I don't have a choice as long as I want to have a job there (which I don't want anymore, but I do need the money).
Life is too short. RUN. There will be other jobs. I usually say have another job before quitting. But your health is more important.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,488 times
You can take up freelance assignments that can help you to survive until you find a good job. Jobbuckets is one of the leading freelance job sites that will help you to post your skill sets. You can take up small projects and gain experience.After a month or two you can bid for a project at elevated cost.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 AM

28 posts, read 79,927 times
Default Are you the only person in office?

Quote:
Here's what I'm confused about. You say it was my choice to work until 1am. I did not want to work until 1am, but that is what they expected. I work for an IT sales company and yesterday was 3rd quarter end. That said, the expectation was that all deals would be booked prior to the end of the night. Are you familiar with a sales environment? I think this is a pretty common practice.

If I would have signed off on my own, without their acknowledgement, wouldn't they just fire me? You're right in that they don't have a gun to my head forcing me to do anything. However, if I don't do as they say, wouldn't they chalk that up as insubordination and use it as a reason to fire me? I think they would, or at the very least, use it as a reason to write me up. If I can help it, I don't want to leave on bad terms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that you had to work until the work was completed because you had a deadline, but did others work with you, or are you the driving force for yourself? Can you get your work done in a timely manner? Are you not completing tasks or over completing them? How can you make yourself happy in this position? Have you ever heard of a headhunter and have you thought about consulting one or a regular career consultant? Are you a part of a team? Can you become a part of a team that comes in at the same time daily and leaves at a reasonable hour? Are you able to delegate the work load so it does not sit entirely on you? Have you spoken to your supervisor/manager about an assistant, co-worker or someone to give you office support?

Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
I'm stressed to the point of being depressed, scared (for my health), and desperate to move on and hopefully land something that is more manageable for me. I would have quit ages ago if not for my student loans. I don't want to defer them and let interest accumulate and cancel out all of the efforts I've put forth to pay them down. I honestly feel like a prisoner.
You are a prisoner. And that's the entire goal of the system you are locked into.

You might find another job, but in the end the management that can get free labor (you're getting paid for 40 and working 80 hours per week) out of their employees is rewarded and stays with the company.

The only way out is buying your freedom. Get out of debt and save as much as you can. Then figure out a way to no longer be someone else's employee.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 AM

273 posts, read 503,224 times
First off you're in Detroit. You must leave that city ASAP. It's a failed city and I can't see it improving. Have you considered the east coast??? I was in a terrible job situation like you describe and I eventually got fired, it was the best thing to ever happen to me. Actually, the moment I got fired a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders, it was a surreal experience. Yes, I was facing financial difficulty, but I was assured that I'd never have to go back to that HELLHOLE of a job. Another thing I noticed was I would always try to find a job, while I was working at the HELLHOLE, but the pace and demands were so exhausting that I never was successful in my search. After I got fired, job interviews were pretty routine and I had a better idea of what jobs to pass on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment