Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

I haven't had to hire anyone new in my department for years, and back then (about 2005) we weren't really into the online job site thing yet. This is the first time all the external applications I'm getting are from online sources, and I'm pretty shocked.

So I just wanted to share this, to hopefully be helpful to people out there who are unsuccessfully applying for jobs online.

The position for which I'm hiring was posted last week, and I'm getting LOTS of applicants. However, out of the 48 applications I've received so far, only 3 are possibly interviewable. The rest had these problems:

• No cover letter. For many applicants, where the online application says "Cover Letter" it says "no cover letter submitted." Sorry, if you can't even do a brief cover letter online (a couple of lines about why you're applying or why I'd want to meet you), it tells me you're not very interested or engaged in pursuing this position, or that you're maybe careless or discourteous.
  • Applying for low-level job from thousands of miles away. Some people apply for the job (here in NJ) from places very far away--like California. Sorry, I'm not calling you for an interview. It's very clear that we're a non-profit and we aren't going to fly you out for an interview for a $35,000 job! Did they even read the posting before applying?
  • Resume not very readable. These online sites let applicants attach their resume. Most are in a Word Doc, and are nicely readable. But some people attach a "data" file, with the contents of their resume seemingly typed in something that looks like DOS from the 80s, with no formatting or spacing. If you can't attach a normal Word Doc, how can you perform even the minimal computer skills this position requires?
  • Horrible typos and grammar errors in the resume and online application. Please, spell the name of your city/town correctly; you live there! Please proof-read your resume and make sure you used the right "there," and did you make verbs agree with subjects. And please make sure you didn't use grammar more appropriate to a 12 year old in the inner-city or at the suburban mall. The posting is very clear that excellent written/verbal communication skills are required. BTW, none of the resumes I received in this category were from a person who was new to the US, in which case I'd cut some slack.
  • Applying for jobs that have nothing to do with your education/experience. Our posting clearly says the person need a BA/BS in a human services related field, OR at least 4 years of residential mental health or developmental disabilities experience. I'm getting all kinds of applicants with backgrounds in manufacturing, environmental science, nursing home administration, elementary school education, music, CDL driver, etc. Why bother to apply when we clearly advertise the requirements? It's not like we'll suddenly change our mind when we are dazzled by your resume about building solar panels, and suddenly decide to interview you for a job in which you'd be overseeing services to clients in human services residential programs. And it's not like our state licensing agencies will suddenly change the requirements for people we hire.
  • Grossly overqualified applicants. I know the job market is tough, and I get it if I have applicants that have worked in this field, but might be willing to take a "step down" for a lesser position because that's all there is. But if your last job was a $90,000+ position as a human services executive (we can get access to general salary ranges in this field in my state), and you're applying for a 35,000 job, that makes no sense at all. Or if you're an RN with 30 years' nursing experience, I know you only applied without really reading about the position, and you would never do this job. So a little overqualified is fine, even if I know you might leave when something better comes along. But grossly overqualified is a red flag.
  • Applicants with "fishy" stuff in their resume. One applicant used to be a surgeon. No one gets an MD, spends years as a surgeon, and then is suddenly no longer a surgeon, unless they did something bad--like losing their medical license, committing Medicare/Medicaid fraud, or committing drug related crimes. No one just decides to not be a surgeon anymore and applies for a $35,000 job in non-profit human services. Ditto for a former RN, who is now no longer a licensed nurse.
  • Grossly under-qualified applicants. Sure, if our requirement is 4 years' experience, and you have 3 years plus an internship, and you've cared for your disabled brother, I can bend requirements a little. But if we need the degree or 4 years relevant experience, and you just got your AA in Healthcare Admin, and your only jobs have been at Home Depot and Wendy's, I can't stretch anything for you.
It seems like people just randomly click on jobs and hit "submit" without making sure the job is a good match for them. I wonder if these are the same people who complain that they applied for hundreds of jobs and didn't get a single interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:18 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Reminds me of a friend of a friend who graduated in 2009 and got a job within months in the most horrible economy in recent memory.. he sat down and submitted literally as many resumes as he could for like 80 hours a week, and broke 3 mice in the process.. did not check if he was qualified or if it was even something he wanted to do. Ended up with 3 job offers.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:22 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
you make some really good points, and i do think some (not all) of the "hundreds of applications and no responses" people are going for quantity over quality in their applications, which is rarely a great idea.

but as someone who was job searching long distance (not cross country, but an 8-9 hour drive away) for fairly low-level jobs not long ago - how do you know that someone who is applying from far away expects you to fly them out? i never once asked for reimbursement for interview travel expenses or relocation expenses. if someone wants or needs to make a long distance move for some non job-related reason and they're at the point in their career where they only command $35k, of course they're going to apply for $35k jobs in their target area. that doesn't mean they're not serious or didn't read the posting. of course, hopefully they would explain when and why they are moving in the cover letter, which in turn i hope you are reading before you toss their resume. if there's no cover letter or just a generic cover letter then yeah, you're justified in your response.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Reminds me of a friend of a friend who graduated in 2009 and got a job within months in the most horrible economy in recent memory.. he sat down and submitted literally as many resumes as he could for like 80 hours a week, and broke 3 mice in the process.. did not check if he was qualified or if it was even something he wanted to do. Ended up with 3 job offers.
that's neat but i did the same thing when the organization where i worked closed in 2010 - and i probably spent 10 hours a week submitting targeted resumes and cover letters.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,508 times
I think many things you've highlighted are spot on. I also saw these things in a short stint doing hiring for a former job. That said, the job applicants from out of state thing...that kind of irritates me a bit. Not everyone expects a potential employer to fly them out for an interview. I'm a military spouse and we move a lot. Many spouses I know job search prior to getting to their location and often they have traveled to that location to interview so they would have something lined up after their move. I don't know that I would mention specifically in my cover letter that I was a military spouse because quite frankly it would allow them to discard me just for that (been there, done that.) I would probably say I was relocating to the area. Like another poster mentioned, if they didn't do a cover letter, than yes totally justified to discard, but if that person is qualified, why wouldn't you at least do a phone interview?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
For the California person, no cover letter, no mention of relocating. Also had one of the other listed problems.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
what do you consider a human services related field? To me, the "degree in X, or related field" is always subjective. I guess I don't understand why education is not considered a "human services related field" as I have always considered it to be one. You're providing a service to the public and most teachers who are "good teachers" are also very good therapists themselves by helping children with social issues, homelife, goal setting. I can see why elementary school education majors can see themselves as "or related field".

Approved Human Services Field Degree List

I guess I would say to this: I am sorry that you found it annoying that unqualified people applied for your position; however, on the flip side, many job posting these days are requiring additional requirements that aren't necessary for the position. They just require it because they can require it in this competitive market. My last job required a bachelors in finance or accounting AND five years of experience. The job could have been done by anyone with a high school diploma and probably years ago those were the requirements.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:02 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
  • Grossly overqualified applicants. I know the job market is tough, and I get it if I have applicants that have worked in this field, but might be willing to take a "step down" for a lesser position because that's all there is. But if your last job was a $90,000+ position as a human services executive (we can get access to general salary ranges in this field in my state), and you're applying for a 35,000 job, that makes no sense at all. Or if you're an RN with 30 years' nursing experience, I know you only applied without really reading about the position, and you would never do this job. So a little overqualified is fine, even if I know you might leave when something better comes along. But grossly overqualified is a red flag.
  • Applicants with "fishy" stuff in their resume. One applicant used to be a surgeon. No one gets an MD, spends years as a surgeon, and then is suddenly no longer a surgeon, unless they did something bad--like losing their medical license, committing Medicare/Medicaid fraud, or committing drug related crimes. No one just decides to not be a surgeon anymore and applies for a $35,000 job in non-profit human services. Ditto for a former RN, who is now no longer a licensed nurse.
I don't understand this part...why wouldn't you interview and find out why they are seeking the position? People change careers all the time. I am a CPA and I know a colleague who was extremely qualified, had years of experience, and decided that she didn't like accounting anymore...she quit and became a vet tech. She took what amounted to a $70,000 pay cut to start in something new...

I have friends who left lucrative careers to pursue religious studies, writing, music, etc....why would it be any different for social services?

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 10-02-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,665 times
sounds like you are the problem not the applicants

Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
  • Applying for low-level job from thousands of miles away. Some people apply for the job (here in NJ) from places very far away--like California. Sorry, I'm not calling you for an interview. It's very clear that we're a non-profit and we aren't going to fly you out for an interview for a $35,000 job! Did they even read the posting before applying?
  • Resume not very readable. These online sites let applicants attach their resume. Most are in a Word Doc, and are nicely readable. But some people attach a "data" file, with the contents of their resume seemingly typed in something that looks like DOS from the 80s, with no formatting or spacing. If you can't attach a normal Word Doc, how can you perform even the minimal computer skills this position requires?

For two of these, they are somewhat understandable. Entry level non profit positions can be tough. I move myself half way across country, at my expense, for an unpaid nternship in a non profit (it ended up being my foot in the door). So I can't nay-say that.

With the uploading issue. In applying in the online world, you need two resumes. One in word (and be able to convert it to PDF), and another .txt friendly version of it. Lots of online interfaces you have to paste in txt only versions of resumes/cover letters, and of course those need to be formatted differently for readability than the word version. They obviously uploaded the wrong version or didn't pick up on what they were doing, or the interface could have been unclear as to what was supposed to be uploaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search