Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:58 PM

128 posts, read 233,319 times

Advertisements

What do you do when a company contacts you, asking you to apply for a specific job, when you'd not been actively looking?

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a well-regarded company nearly two weeks ago for a job that lines up pretty well with my skills. However, it was 3.5 hours away, in another state. I'd thought about moving, perhaps in a year, but I decided to stay put. Until this job pops up. After mulling it over for a day, I told the company's internal recruiter that I was tempted, but not looking to move, but thank you for contacting me. I regretted that (this job was that good) and a day later, advised I'd changed my mind. Someone helped me redo my resume, and I applied online a week ago. I didn't get a response, and emailed recruiter yesterday. The short of it, I've got a phone interview set up for Monday while I'm on my lunch hour (I'll be sitting in my car on my cell).

I've done a LOT of thinking, done the pros/cons, etc. For a variety of reasons, including financial, this would not be a good move geographically for me. Within a few days of applying, it turns out I'll probably get a promotion/pay bump where I am, due to a situation with someone else leaving.

I'm going to go through the phone interview, but not any further.

It is nice to be wanted, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
I am ALWAYS available, just sometimes more than others. I often get jobs calling me while I'm employed but I always hear what they have to offer.

Sometimes it would just to a LOT more for someone to employee me than other times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-05-2013, 09:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie24 View Post
What do you do when a company contacts you, asking you to apply for a specific job,
when you'd not been actively looking?
You have a conversation with that headhunter about the basics and consider it.

After a day or two... you ask THEM to be more specific (if they can be)...
and to arrange a private chat with someone in authority at the interested company.

Quote:
After mulling it over for a day....
Someone helped me redo my resume, and I applied online a week ago.
That was a tactical error.

If you have been recruited you shouldn't be expected to apply.
They are presumed to already know enough about your ability by making the overture.
The initial conversation with the headhunter should settle out any other concerns.

Bringing a fresh copy of a updated resume to an in person meeting? You bet.
Apply? Coldly and online to boot like any other schmo? No thanks.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You have a conversation with that headhunter about the basics and consider it.

After a day or two... you ask THEM to be more specific (if they can be)...
and to arrange a private chat with someone in authority at the interested company.

That was a tactical error.

If you have been recruited you shouldn't be expected to apply.
They are presumed to already know enough about your ability by making the overture.
The initial conversation with the headhunter should settle out any other concerns.

Bringing a fresh copy of a updated resume to an in person meeting? You bet.
Apply? Coldly and online to boot like any other schmo? No thanks.
There was no headhunter. Internal recruiter. She fully admitted she was looking for candidates on LinkedIn. The position is very interesting and would be a good challenge, but due to the very small town location (although within 30-45 minutes of much larger towns), they were likely having difficulty finding qualified applicants.

It did seem a bit odd that I was asked to apply. My complete resume (although with different wording) was up on LinkedIn.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
For some positions companies are afraid they will get several hundred applicants which will take a lot of HR staff time, so they prefer to limit the numbers by searching Linkedin. In some cases they may actually be trying to sabotage their competitors bypoaching their employees. This is also a way to eliminate people who are unemployed from being able to apply. I wouldn't think they want you, specifically, but rather you would be one of several/many they would interview from linkedin.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For some positions companies are afraid they will get several hundred applicants which will take a lot of HR staff time, so they prefer to limit the numbers by searching Linkedin. In some cases they may actually be trying to sabotage their competitors bypoaching their employees. This is also a way to eliminate people who are unemployed from being able to apply. I wouldn't think they want you, specifically, but rather you would be one of several/many they would interview from linkedin.
They weren't keeping the position a secret. It was posted on the company's own website, as well as bunch of other websites, as I found out by googling. My experience is actually a very good fit for this position. But as I mentioned, the location isn't as desirable as a big city would be, plus they would be very hard pressed to find someone with the required experience in their area. You'd have to go to candidates in larger cities.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 AM

23,529 posts, read 24,011,889 times
The best time to get another job, is when you already have one!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
I get calls from recruiters every few weeks but I love my current job and have no desire to deal with the circus that is the hiring process at most companies so I politely decline "thanks for considering me but am I not currently seeking other opportunities..."

Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
What do you do when a company contacts you, asking you to apply for a specific job, when you'd not been actively looking?

It doesn't work this way for professional positions. When a company contacts you for a specific job it shouldn't be "to apply" it should only be "to hire". Anything else and one should wonder what's really going on.

Quote:
I was contacted via LinkedIn by a well-regarded company nearly two weeks ago for a job that lines up pretty well with my skills. However, it was 3.5 hours away, in another state. I'd thought about moving, perhaps in a year, but I decided to stay put. Until this job pops up. After mulling it over for a day, I told the company's internal recruiter that I was tempted, but not looking to move, but thank you for contacting me. I regretted that (this job was that good) and a day later, advised I'd changed my mind. Someone helped me redo my resume, and I applied online a week ago. I didn't get a response, and emailed recruiter yesterday. The short of it, I've got a phone interview set up for Monday while I'm on my lunch hour (I'll be sitting in my car on my cell).

I've done a LOT of thinking, done the pros/cons, etc. For a variety of reasons, including financial, this would not be a good move geographically for me. Within a few days of applying, it turns out I'll probably get a promotion/pay bump where I am, due to a situation with someone else leaving.

I'm going to go through the phone interview, but not any further.

It is nice to be wanted, though!

Old 10-06-2013, 11:44 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
I have never had anyone contact me when I wasn't looking for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment