Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM

150 posts, read 305,717 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm recent college grad in a tech field looking for a job. I was just wondering, to all those who may be familiar, how common is a non-compete contract upon hire? Someone warned me against these today and I am trying to get a feel for how they may be. For example, I would be cautious about signing something that would prevent me from working anywhere in the same industry for x amount of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
While I am not sure about how common it is in Tech, it is very common in sales. The thing to check on though is whether they are even enforceable in your state. In many states they are not, or they have to provide you additional compensation for having a non compete. That is one reason insurance companies will still pay out their sales people for a certain term after they leave, that way if someone was to join another company and try to take their client with them they would be open for a lawsuit.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
In general any contract you sign that unreasonably hinders your employment will be frowned upon by the courts if challenged and are probably unenforcable.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 AM

171 posts, read 326,949 times
Doesn't the BIG airplane company in the USA do it also? Also, seems I remember a Non-Compete usage with prescription drug companys a few years back. Don't know if it still exists. Guess it could serve the purpose of maintaining prices, trade and manufacturing data, costs, and being more able to compete with another, or just plain simply do away with a little guy! Tis' life.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,016 times
It's like a pimp clause. It's common for consulting firms, folks who make money placing you to work on client sites, where you can be converted or be pirated.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,442 times
It's common but read it carefully. Saying that you won't work a second job for a competitor is reasonable. Saying that if you leave you won't take customers or coworkers with you is reasonable. Saying that if you leave you won't work in the industry for x years is complete nonsense.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM

211 posts, read 529,222 times
They're not too common outside of certain fields (usually the higher paying fields). Just make sure you read very carefully. If you sign a Non-compete without understanding it, there's a good chance you'll have shot yourself in the foot.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:23 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Really depends on the state. Here in Arizona someone fought a non-compete contract all the way to the state supreme court and the court decided in favor of the employee. The way some employers have gotten around it is to also add an intellectual property clause to a contract. So anything (clients, business practices, pricing, etc...) you learn on the job you are not allowed to use someplace else. Typically only enforced for sales people from what I have seen.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:35 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
My husband has one in his contract but they never enforce it.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,371 times
My husband signed one for a company that repairs wheels on cars. Basically "we're teaching you the process" so if you quit you can't take that knowledge and use it within a certain geographical area for 2 years. I think it's a bogus contract, who doesn't "learn" or "train" on the job? Can you imagine the lawsuits lol? Also, his boss promised XX% of whatever he does in repairs and he already went back on that original verbal agreement for an extra two weeks to "train" him longer which really meant I want to make the money and keep paying you $10 an hour. He's making the percentage now but now his boss is saying he's making too much money...seriously...what a tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment