Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Dare I ask why the word "ghetto" is used to describe crummy buildings, poor equipment and/or cheap business owners?
For the same reason that a desktop computer (as opposed to a laptop) is pure ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For the same reason that a desktop computer (as opposed to a laptop) is pure ghetto.
OMG! I work at a ghetto job!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
OMG! I work at a ghetto job!
As I type from my back up desktop puter, but hey I got dual monitors Most I know in trading don't use wireless slow and not as secure.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 PM

341 posts, read 674,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Nope.. we only rely on Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, CNBC (free portions), Seeking Alpha, etc. Still, there's a ton of quality information from these free services but it's a bit difficult having a discussion with other professionals who assume Bloomberg access is ubiquitous.
Lol, dude that's brutal. You guys need some stickers made:

Got bloomy?

Maybe the upper crust will get a grip. What's a bloomy sub per year, $10k? It'd be worth it just for the rumor mill scroll.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post

Got bloomy?

Maybe the upper crust will get a grip. What's a bloomy sub per year, $10k? It'd be worth it just for the rumor mill scroll.
No it depends, but we are all aware how their former mayor became a Billionaire with a big B. Some big shops pay little we pay a little more. But when you move a decent size milliseconds matter. Golden Slacks spends millions for milliseconds, probably high millions. I am sure some on here no more than I. I have seen the data center in Jersey City which is old by today's standards.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post

Got bloomy?

I thought it was $25k/year but I could be wrong. DJX is only $250/month for those who can't afford Bloomberg.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Dare I ask why the word "ghetto" is used to describe crummy buildings, poor equipment and/or cheap business owners?
Don't worry ... companies in the suburbs and in the country can use the term too!

Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 PM

Working in Detroit

Old 10-18-2013, 01:20 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Professional job hopper checking in so I'll jot down what I've seen over the years:

Two toilets to fill 50+ employees' "needs". When the stalls were full, one had to go to the gas station next door. It was a lot cleaner anyway.

I brought in my own hand soap. There was never any available.

Same for the hand towel.

In one place, we had to remind new hires to NOT leave any food in the fridge overnight. The raccoons were smart in that neighborhood.

Get in back of the roach coach line if you're new here. Seasoned employees get first dibs. And don't you dare even think about sitting in their chair in the lunchroom.

Finding your coat on the floor on your way out. Someone more important than you needed that hanger.

That soft drink you brought in is theirs too, along with any other personal items that you "left out". Hey, they've worked there for 10 years. They've earned your respect.

The suggestion box has dust on it.

The official 401(k) documents have typos.

Your boss has a tattoo on his neck.

The nighttime watchdog tries to attack you every time you walk by his cage. But he'll warm up to you in time.

Free lunch for everyone! Night shift gets leftovers. Should be OK. It's only been sitting there for 6 hours.

And I'll save the best for last:

"We'll explain the entire benefit package to you after you complete the probationary period".

Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I guess I find the term "ghetto" politically incorrect, besides inaccurate for a crummy job with crummy everything. I'm not normally politically correct, but it's like using the word "retarded" for stuff that seems dumb. Clumsy slang. Is "ghetto" now a slang term, when used as above? Are people aware of the origin of "ghetto" in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment