U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 05:21 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,290,944 times

Advertisements

I was curious about how many of those working at companies read the glassdoor.com reviews. Especially upper management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,605,680 times
I'm positive management often writes reviews.

There was a company I interviewed with a few years ago, a small CPA firm, and the partner did nothing but insult me from the moment I sat down until I left the interview (prematurely). I visited the glassdoor review page for the firm and there were twelve in-depth reviews by former employees about how it was the most hostile working environment they had ever worked at, how it was common for people to be shouted at and told they were stupid or worthless, that the longest tenure of a manager was a year and a half, etc.

Well, out of curiosity, I revisited the glassdoor page for that firm a few months ago and not only had all of the negative reviews been removed, but there were three glowingly positive reviews about how it was a great place to work!! Obviously the partners either wrote the reviews themselves or forced their underlings to do it, and they somehow got glassdoor to delete all of the negative ones.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:38 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,430,103 times
Why don't you do some research on it and report back your findings? I don't think a study on this has been done yet.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:07 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,290,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why don't you do some research on it and report back your findings? I don't think a study on this has been done yet.
Sounds like a job for 20/20 or 60 minutes.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,357,159 times
They did at my last company, for sure. Someone had written a scathing review, and the CEO started calling people into his office one by one to try to figure out who it was, having managers 'remind' employees about the Social Networking policy, etc. They had no interest in fixing the (mostly) truthful critiques. They only wanted to find and punish the person who did it.

I never write reviews on that site until after I'm long gone! Too risky that someone would figure out who wrote it and retaliate.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 AM

2,115 posts, read 3,861,876 times
Yes they do.

I work in a large company and HR prints up reviews to talk about hiring best practices, how to improve negative interview reviews, etc. I'm not upper management, but I'm sure they get a copy too.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,772 posts, read 54,424,430 times
I have been management here for a couple of years and I looked at it once. It's not reality, though. The positive reviews
come from people that just got a nice promotion or are planted by HR, and the negative ones are always someone that didn't get the promotion or hate their boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment