Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM

621 posts, read 1,033,029 times

Advertisements

I came across an AD on Craigslist about an EBay seller job, where this company gives you items to list on an Ebay account, and they pay for the shipping, listing price, etc. They gave me the following info;

In order to be a consigner all you need to do is have two things
an ebay account and a paypal address
two simple things that can be done in 30 minutes or less.

for evey 10 items you sell on ebay you get 400$
the amount the items sell for does not matter they all start very low and have 100% item sell through
we pay all ebay fees

we sell closeout items like sweatshirts, computers, tv's, etc
we start you off with good items and give you more as you ask for them

basically all you have to do is list the items for sale that we give you
you can list them any time from anywhere you want
the program allows you to work from a coffee shop or at home in your spare time
We pay all Ebay fees and Shipping charges
We ship all items ourselves once they sell and the payment has been forwarded to us
We sell thousands of items monthly

you put in the paypal address we give you on the ebay form. The payment is collected and items are shipped within a few days
this is an easy program to follow and you can make a pretty good income by consigning
we have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of inventory so there are plenty of items that will keep you selling as long as you enjoy
doing the work. We wont run out anytime soon. We have 2400 sellers on Amazon and Ebay.
Last week one seller made 3000$ by selling 100 items
Our items are mostly in the collectibles category there are also many antique glassware items

if you want to be an auction consignee,just send us an email that says in the header

I want to try Auction Consigning and make some money!
sales team partners customer service
Moderator cut: snip

Do you think this is a scam or legit?

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 10-15-2013 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Deleted email address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 AM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Of course it is a scam..............You get $400 for selling 10 items no matter what they cost and they pay all the fees? Yet they brag at the end of the email that someone made $3,000 for selling 100 items.....wait that should have been $4,000 if you believe the first part of the scam. Our items are mostly collectible/antique glassware.....yet they mention TVs, computers, sweatshirts?

Come on....common sense tells you that is no deal for them. Remember the easiest scams are the ones that take advantage of people's greedy tendencies! When people think they are taking advantage of a company/system then their common sense goes out the window and suddenly they are the victim!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
This is how the scam works:

You list the items for them, make a sale and collect the money from your buyer via PayPal. You then forward the money to the "E-Bay" scammer. They do not ship the item to your buyer.

They will ask you to forward the money immediately via western union. Once the buyer figures out they are not receiving the item a claim will be made with paypal to refund the purchase price. Since you have already sent the Scammer the money from this "sale" the money will come out of your pocket.

Lets say they can scam you for two - three weeks before you figure it out. You would probably be on the hook for 2 or 3 thousand dollars.

Always ask yourself "why do they need me"? Why would they pay me 400 dollars for something they can do themselves in a matter of minutes?

If you want to verify it is a scam just tell them you would like to use THEIR paypal account for payments in your ads.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:06 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

Always ask yourself "why do they need me"? Why would they pay me 400 dollars for something they can do themselves in a matter of minutes?

If you want to verify it is a scam just tell them you would like to use THEIR paypal account for payments in your ads.
The explanation is simple... Nigerian royalty have a less than stellar record with eBay and Paypal, although they are superb at tracking down international lottery winners.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
You should totally go for it. Then post here afterwards.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:20 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I saw a pretty good scam on Craigslist the other day myself. I flagged it and it disappeared so I can't post the text here but it was something like this......

Turn 200 dollars into 2000 dollars... I am only doing the first 20 people..

Hi, my name is Jose and I am the manager at a Wal-Mart finance center. I have access to green dot money card accounts and can change balances easily. I can change 200 dollars into 2000, 300 into 3000.

When I complete the change you will send me 10% by check. I will only maintain contact via texting or cell phone. I do not meet clients at work because I could be fired for running this business on the job.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe people fall for this type of scam BUT I do not feel bad for any idiot that does. Essentially the guy is saying he can help you steal money. If an idiot falls for this he/she DESERVES to lose the 200 bucks they put on the green dot card.

Of course what happens is "Jose" will need your green dot card details in order to "make the change". What Jose will actually do is remove the 200 dollars you have put on the card.
I love the title the guy used too... "I'm only doing the first 20 people" Yep, he is "doing them" alright. I love how it creates a sense of urgency AND tells idiots exactly what is going to happen to them - they will get "done over".

Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Be suspicious any time any one asks to use YOUR eBay or Paypal accounts or any other account you maintain! It should be simple to see through this scam, yet many will fall for it!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Yes, it is a scam. And, as noted above, YOU are responsible for producr delivery or refund since you are using your paypal account.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You should totally go for it. Then post here afterwards.

Yes, please let us know how this turns out for you.

Don

Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,509 times
If you seriously have to ask if this is a scam or not, you should turn over your finances to an attorney or trusted family member so as not to be scammed in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment