Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:31 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I have also heard about Speech Therapy and Physical Therapy rank high in terms of finding and keeping a job.
I am an SLP, and Speech therapy where I live (Raleigh/Durham, NC area) is OVERSATURATED. I drive an hour to work. Like so many others, I went into what was supposed to be a "hot" field - and it IS, as long as you live in an area that's not popular. I didn't know finding a job where I live was going to be hopeless, or I would have pursued something else.

Also, for many reasons, I'd suggest Physical Therapy ASSISTANT, not a PT - there is a greater need for PTAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I am an SLP, and Speech therapy where I live (Raleigh/Durham, NC area) is OVERSATURATED. I drive an hour to work. Like so many others, I went into what was supposed to be a "hot" field - and it IS, as long as you live in an area that's not popular. I didn't know finding a job where I live was going to be hopeless, or I would have pursued something else.

Also, for many reasons, I'd suggest Physical Therapy ASSISTANT, not a PT - there is a greater need for PTAs.
Many healthcare careers are oversaturated...I see someone is STILL posting to become an RN...they have been oversaturated for about 5 years and still schools are churning out RN's that can't get jobs unless they move to a rural/remote area.

OP do lots of research before choosing as the above poster stated PTA's are now in demand but that could change, however, there aren't that many schools. Keep in mind you will have to be willing to relocate to get a job, any place near a school is going to be saturated. As you look a good rule of thumb is to determine if you "touch a patient", if not the job could and can be outsourced.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Doctors
Dentists
Bartenders

Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Or, one can just be sour and jealous. It seems as if you've perfected that.
What's really sad is that you've contributed nothing else to this post. Must be dull having nothing better to do... at least I did provide an answer - get a security clearance - before I added in the dark humor... yeesh.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Truthfully, the answer is "no."

The only real exception *MIGHT* be something that requires a high-end security clearance, but those are not easy to get, and I've seen people with top secret clearances tossed out like litter, so even those are not a sure thing... but it's better than nothing.

Some more amusing ideas - your mileage may vary:

1) Professional BS artist: If you can brown-nose, back-stab, and otherwise make a big show about nothing, you'll always have a job since we live in a world where form beats substance every time.

2) Politician: You can do whatever you want - or nothing at all - and the worst that'll happen is that you'll still collect a great pension (remember when the working class had those?) and end up a commentator on a talk show somewhere.

3) Useful idiot: Similar to the first option, but with a greater focus on directed stupidity. If you can muck up other people's projects, stall progress, and otherwise get in the way while advancing your boss's plans, you'll keep your job.

4) Overpaid executive: Did your company's stocks go up? Get a big bonus! Did they go down? Get a big bonus? Did you destroy the company? Lay everyone off and get a big bonus! No consequences at all.

5) Crime lord: Not an easy field to get into, but it works if you're ruthless. Note that white collar crime, such as investment banking, tends to pay better and involve less violence.

Of course, in reality you're referring to real jobs, especially ones that involve producing something and which would appeal to honest and skilled workers. Sadly, those jobs have been reduced to insecure temp positions thanks to decades of horrible economic policy that has been cheered on by stooges who think anything is justifiable if somebody makes money on it.

Good luck.
You have a great sense of humor!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
not - so - much anymore. maybe stable once you get in, but really difficult to get in these days depending on your field/ veterans preference level.
I would not even count on a government job any more. Except maybe a prison guard.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:27 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Not that I've been doing research on various jobs, but I'm in the field of Speech-Language Pathology & although that takes a graduate degree, it's the only job I know that isn't affected by the bad economy. It's always in high demand, you can work in various work settings, you can work with pretty much any age range of person from as young as 18 mos of age to the elderly, you can even have your own practice/business if you want to. The pay is pretty good. I'm in school for it now, but have been working as an SLP (speech-lang pathologist) for the past 2 yrs now & getting the full salary. This is now my 3rd year doing it.

Other than that, I have no idea what other job fields are good.

I DO worry about our society's job situation. I have a dear friend who's been out of work for a few years & there seems to be zero hope in sight. He may not have a college degree, but he's an honest, hard-working, loyal person & if given the chance, he won't let his employer down, but he can't seem to get anything. His experience is mainly in warehouse work. All the warehousing companies go through temp agencies & they all want RECENT experience. My friend has years of experience, but it's not considered recent, so he can't get work.

I think at this point, everyone should be trying to get work at home jobs & be their own boss because it's bleak out there!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
What's really sad is that you've contributed nothing else to this post. Must be dull having nothing better to do... at least I did provide an answer - get a security clearance - before I added in the dark humor... yeesh.
Well, I loved the dark humor! And it's pretty close to the truth!

Old 10-19-2013, 04:02 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Not that I've been doing research on various jobs, but I'm in the field of Speech-Language Pathology & although that takes a graduate degree, it's the only job I know that isn't affected by the bad economy. It's always in high demand, you can work in various work settings, you can work with pretty much any age range of person from as young as 18 mos of age to the elderly, you can even have your own practice/business if you want to. The pay is pretty good. I'm in school for it now, but have been working as an SLP (speech-lang pathologist) for the past 2 yrs now & getting the full salary. This is now my 3rd year doing it.
Please see my post, fellow speechie...where I live, SLP is absolutely GLUTTED and SATURATED. What's more, caseloads seem to be dropping and no one is sure why (I am in a nursing home). Folks I've talked to say when a job posts in my area, they have 10-20 applicants in an hour. Honestly, if I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would have done PTA. As others have said, that will probably be over-saturated soon too, but at least as of RIGHT NOW there seems to be plenty of opportunity.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I would not even count on a government job any more. Except maybe a prison guard.
Even those are subcontracted now, at least in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment