Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times

Advertisements

Reading this thread it is a little sad, as I know the truth about how companies actually view this kind of stuff.

My daughter has some severe medical conditions, she has been hospitalized right around 30 times in her life, we have been told multiple times that she would not be leaving the hospital, and my wife has basically lived at the hospital for weeks at a time.

It has cost me multiple jobs, going back to a few months after she was born. Some were by my choice, others were by their choice.

There were some people that would surprise me with their understanding, the exact type that many assume would be the most heartless about the situation were often the most understanding, including 1 regional manager that was seen as a cold heartless guy by many employees, who not only sent balloons and flowers to my daughter, but called almost daily to find out how she was doing, and personally went out of his way to ensure that anything that my clients needed was taken care of with me still receiving the full commission. One company that the owner and a couple of the other employees hired a maid service to come in and clean my house, and than bought groceries and had them delivered to my house the day before my daughter got released from the hospital. there are also many more stories of kindness and understanding that I saw from some people.

The funny thing is the ones who ended up being the most heartless about things were the same ones who would complain about how heartless companies had become when it was their own personal situation. I could tell people stories about managers lying to my referral sources telling them I was in alcohol rehab when my daughter was in the hospital for 2 months, other managers constantly threatening my job, being fired for not showing up when my daughter was given 24 hours to live (only to have HR force the managers to give me back my job), and many other instances of worthless behavior from management or ownership.

The truth is that even with FMLA it is usually unpaid, and when a company decides to fire you anyways you are stuck in a mess of paperwork and government regulations, which can take months to get through. While I would have had a case a few times, I decided to pass on fighting the old company, partially because I was able to find jobs easily being a pretty good salesman, and partially because I did not have the resources to sit around and wait for the government to get around to forcing a settlement to my case. I fully understand that companies count on that happening and know they will likely get away with it, however my reality did not put me in a position to do much about it at the time, and I have a feeling many more people have the same issues, especially when they have personal insurance, and have the costs of not only co pays and deductibles, but also the additional costs of having to live in a hospital or travel back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Several things:

With any terminal illness, there is never a definite date set as to when someone is to die, but especially cancer as people can go into remission several times and then finally succumb to cancer.

Second, she already took an entire month off to care for the parent, as allowed by company policy.
The rule is that only spouses and children qualify for this undetermined leave. Very few companies in the world today in this economy will give anybody "undetermined leave". Are you serious? I think she should be grateful she got that at all. She should find a hospice/home health aide or other family to help. She is a part timer on top of that. Otherwise, f*n resign.

I have been underemployed for 3 years. I would literally give an arm or leg for her job. Put me out on an operating table, take my arm in exchange for her job. She's ungrateful and is trying to take advantage. There are at least 500 people who would take her job in a heartbeat, with lower pay and without bennies. And she wants MORE leave? - Where do these people come from...
FMLA covers parents, meaning if she worked more then 24 hours per week she was entitled to at least 12 weeks.
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm

Quote:
Qualifying conditions

(Q) When can an eligible employee use FMLA leave?
A covered employer must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12 month period for one or more of the following reasons:
  • for the birth of a son or daughter, and to bond with the newborn child;
  • for the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care, and to bond with that child;
  • to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent – but not a parent “in-law”) with a serious health condition;
  • to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition; or
  • for qualifying exigencies arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is on covered active duty or call to covered active duty status as a member of the National Guard, Reserves, or Regular Armed Forces.
The FMLA also allows eligible employees to take up to 26 workweeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a “single 12-month period” to care for a covered servicemember with a serious injury or illness.

Also you choosing to be unemployed for 3 years is not her problem, she had a job, and is covered under federal labor laws, which means she should still have a job.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
nobody chooses to be unemployed. you're buying into the corporate profit propaganda.
If she is covered under the law and has money to litigate in court, let her. She needs to stand up for herself. Still many in this economy would love her job right now. Employers know that. you can bash the unemployed all you want. employment at will ensures even you are not exempt from losing your job or becoming a part timer if you're employed as a W-2 worker. and yes, you can lose "your business" if you are one of those "holier than" business owners/IC contractors.

don't ever say to somebody "you chose to be unemployed"....! you say it here on the Internet, ok. Feel sorry for you if you say this to somebody's face somewhere. You say that in the wrong place to the wrong people....never know. Come to the Bronx, NY and say that to somebody I guarantee you they will beat you to a pulp.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
nobody chooses to be unemployed. you're buying into the corporate profit propaganda.
If she is covered under the law and has money to litigate in court, let her. She needs to stand up for herself. Still many in this economy would love her job right now. Employers know that. you can bash the unemployed all you want. employment at will ensures even you are not exempt from losing your job or becoming a part timer if you're employed as a W-2 worker. and yes, you can lose "your business" if you are one of those "holier than" business owners/IC contractors.

don't ever say to somebody "you chose to be unemployed"....! you say it here on the Internet, ok. Feel sorry for you if you say this to somebody's face somewhere. You say that in the wrong place to the wrong people....never know. Come to the Bronx, NY and say that to somebody I guarantee you they will beat you to a pulp.
Oh we have an internet tough guy here. So let me get this right, you think she should abandon her parent that is responsible for her being on this earth, and raised her, to kiss up to the corporate world, but I am a corporate shill for pointing out that it is your responsibility to get yourself to work? Oh and you want the rules changed by the government to where once you get a job you are entitled to keep it, but you think someone should dump their parents in an old folks home when they get sick, and just be thankful she has a job? Yep I am the uncaring ass.

By the way I have a disabled child, I have lost multiple jobs and deals costing me thousands of dollars because of my need to care for her, yet I have found a way to always stay employed, oh and I did it without a college degree. You want to talk about how easy it is to become unemployed, I know all about it, I also know all about how hard it is to keep working, even in an area where at one point the unemployed was well over 10% and the underemployment, quit looking, and unemployment rate in my area was estimated to be around 60%, yet I found a way, even if it meant taking the worst jobs I could find. i have been through crap that most people cannot even imagine, yet I never sat there on unemployment or living in someone else's basement living off their hard work bitching about how bad things sucked, instead I did the best I could in my situation. You don't like it, not my problem.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:03 AM

you're the "Just because I can do it...so should the millions of unemployed." "Bootstrap person" -
your "choose to be unemployed" was was very resentful and extremely offensive to millions if not billions of unemployed people who have circumstances you do not know about. many of us also have disabled and terminally ill family members. Your hard lot in life is not harder than anybody else's. You seem to want to take the prize for "the hardest circumstances" and "if I can so can all the millions" . You don't know someone's life. -

I don't believe you have the guts to spew like this in public. You say all this because the Internet is a safe cover.

You are hateful and very resentful. The level to which you are judgmental just blows my mind. By far I have never encountered this level on city-data anywhere. Some people need to put elderly in nursing homes and yes, disabled kids in group homes. And there are hospices for terminally ill. Some have to choose between doing those things or going through extreme hardship, eviction, homelessness, etc. this may be "immoral" to you and that's fine. Other people find it immoral as well but they have no choice. Some people have no extended family/spouses/siblings to help out. Not everyone qualifies for Medicaid/Medicare or other gov't help that you feel they have no right to collect.

seriously. I give you the prize for the most judgmental and biased.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM

19 posts, read 27,619 times
Quote:
Several things:

With any terminal illness, there is never a definite date set as to when someone is to die, but especially cancer as people can go into remission several times and then finally succumb to cancer.

Second, she already took an entire month off to care for the parent, as allowed by company policy.
The rule is that only spouses and children qualify for this undetermined leave. Very few companies in the world today in this economy will give anybody "undetermined leave". Are you serious? I think she should be grateful she got that at all. She should find a hospice/home health aide or other family to help. She is a part timer on top of that. Otherwise, f*n resign.

I have been underemployed for 3 years. I would literally give an arm or leg for her job. Put me out on an operating table, take my arm in exchange for her job. She's ungrateful and is trying to take advantage. There are at least 500 people who would take her job in a heartbeat, with lower pay and without bennies. And she wants MORE leave? - Where do these people come from...
Yes. People in the scenario described by the OP make me sick. I don't expect anyone to care for me, and I don't care for anyone. And to all those who would say that I'm just kicking someone when they're down -you're wrong. I'm just stepping over those who have elected to lay down while the productive class goes about making an honest wage through their own work. The only problem is these people are cockroaches who survive not on their own, but thanks to the welfare state and the big government that coddles them every time they get a boo-boo. That we are even having a discussion about whether to help this person out makes me so sick; what is this country coming to that we think we need to give people a pass? You think the Chinese care about this sh*t? They know how to handle the dregs of their society; they "disappear" while we fall all over ourselves to do everything short of wiping the butts of our inferior classes.
No sympathy from me; forced taxation is all you'll get.

Last edited by coop_x; 10-22-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
Yes. People in the scenario described by the OP make me sick. I don't expect anyone to care for me, and I don't care for anyone. And to all those who would say that I'm just kicking someone when they're down -you're wrong. I'm just stepping over those who have elected to lay down while the productive class goes about making an honest wage through their own work. The only problem is these people are cockroaches who survive not on their own, but thanks to the welfare state and the big government that coddles them every time they get a boo-boo. That we are even having a discussion about whether to help this person out makes me so sick; what is this country coming to that we think we need to give people a pass? You think the Chinese care about this sh*t? They know how to handle the dregs of their society; they "disappear" while we fall all over ourselves to do everything short of wiping the butts of our inferior classes.
YEA.....! And he roasted me for saying that the reality in this post Recession decline is that the long term unemployed will take her job without a blink and probably do it way better. I boldly said I will give up an arm via surgery to take her job. And I'm serious.

People want to work. Corporations use too many obstacles and favoritism, to keep them out. Application tracking systems, credit checks, demanding Facebook passwords, demanding W2 or 1099s, discriminating because someone has job gaps/"long term Unemployed" stigma, etc. None of that is any proof of whether someone is skilled or motivated to do the job. Yet the people who actually are employed are often less productive than those who aren't. The unemployed are hungry for a chance. those that have it don't care.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:01 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
I thought this was a post about a woman caring for her dying mother? Whilst I certainly agree that her employer cannot give her unlimited time off ~ calling her a 'cockroach' and going on about the 'welfare state' doesn't seem to belong in this thread.

As for your reference to the Chinese - I have no desire to race to the lowest common denominator in terms of workers rights either. Here in America, we don't make our poor and unemployed 'disappear'; is this what you are advocating for? And, the inferior classes, eh? I wonder where you fall poster.

Somewhere, there is a rational and happy medium. You certainly have not found it.

IF the lady described in the OP is entitled to FMLA, she should certainly avail herself of that. IF she is not; then she may well lose her job and there is not a thing she can do about it.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:15 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I want to share a good story about this topic.

My friend worked for a very small company, so they were not required to provide FMLA. They also did not provide health insurance, so she went without. She was diagnosed with a severe form of breast cancer (most likely would have been caught much earlier had she had insurance and regular check-ups).

She ended up going through cancer treatment for several months. Her employer basically just let her take off time as she needed to while she went through this. She did work each week, but wasn't completely able to predict how much she could work. They could have easily fired her, but they didn't.

I look back and I realize how incredibly fortunate she was.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:21 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
My BIL lost his job because he had to take time off to take care of his father, who had Alzheimer's. The mother had cancer herself so she couldn't care for the father. It was a shame, but the company was having trouble and needed to downsize, and he was the first one they let go because he'd taken off so much time already. It was a business decision on the part of the company, and it was a personal decision on the part of the family to have a family member stay with the father rather than use professional health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment