Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
No, you misunderstood. I used paragraphs to seperate topics and thoughts.

The first paragraph was a comment about how her list of criteria was reasonable, and a couple of examples i have seen, along with a comment that food providers arent as unusual as some had suggested.

The next paragraph was to answer her question without regard for location, COL or availability of free food.
But your first paragraph insinuated that in your field, assembly workers meet the OP's criteria. When COL needs to be examined as well as location. I doubt the perks in your workplace are common countrywide.

Your second paragraph had no sway in my response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 04:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,739 times
Let me clarify a few points. The list is idealistic, but not entirely unrealistic. Disclaimer would be that people in any profession can have a job that matches these criteria, they just might be very hard to find. I know composers who are making 150k a year and hitting all these points, however most composers are freelance and don't hit any of these points. I guess I'm just trying to see which jobs have the best chance of hitting all of the points.

I would probably agree with engineering and finance, but both are fields I'm not entirely keen on going into. Computer engineering especially is getting outsourced like crazy.

I do not think 50k starting salary is unreasonable to ask for. Plus, I'm at a point where I NEED to make 50k at least to support myself and family. I currently make 80k now so it would even be a cut for me.

What I mean by widely available is if I did get laid off, I would be able to find work quickly again, whether it was right where I was already living, or any other place in the US. Some jobs are very localized to certain cities and regions.

Company food has been pretty common in my experience. I'm not even talking full meals, I'm just talking drinks, coffees, and snacks. Most businesses have them, but you're also seeing more and more companies provide full meals for their employees.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Let me clarify a few points. The list is idealistic, but not entirely unrealistic. Disclaimer would be that people in any profession can have a job that matches these criteria, they just might be very hard to find. I know composers who are making 150k a year and hitting all these points, however most composers are freelance and don't hit any of these points. I guess I'm just trying to see which jobs have the best chance of hitting all of the points.

I would probably agree with engineering and finance, but both are fields I'm not entirely keen on going into. Computer engineering especially is getting outsourced like crazy.

I do not think 50k starting salary is unreasonable to ask for. Plus, I'm at a point where I NEED to make 50k at least to support myself and family. I currently make 80k now so it would even be a cut for me.

What I mean by widely available is if I did get laid off, I would be able to find work quickly again, whether it was right where I was already living, or any other place in the US. Some jobs are very localized to certain cities and regions.

Company food has been pretty common in my experience. I'm not even talking full meals, I'm just talking drinks, coffees, and snacks. Most businesses have them, but you're also seeing more and more companies provide full meals for their employees.
If you're so sure these positions exist....why are you here asking? The point is still that ALL of these criteria in ONE job is damn near impossible. And what's wrong with the 80k job you've got?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:19 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
But your first paragraph insinuated that in your field, assembly workers meet the OP's criteria. When COL needs to be examined as well as location. I doubt the perks in your workplace are common countrywide.

Your second paragraph had no sway in my response.

Fail.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Nursing I would say.

Maybe teaching as well.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:11 PM

336 posts, read 411,725 times
OP, how did it all turn out? Hope you found your dream career
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment