Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times

Advertisements

OK, so I'm still referring to the 5:00 am. coworker here. Apparently, she has suffered from migraines for a very long time (like 20 years). From what I've witnessed over the past 4 years, she has had issues with it interfering with work. She told me she used to come into the office a long time ago and then have to lay down. Now, as I said in other thread, she's always home. But, it really seems to be interfering with her work, causing her to not be able to focus, etc. She seems to be getting them more often and worse and worse. But my question is, isn't there something she can do to reduce the occurrences or amount of pain? She has said in the past she doesn't want to take medications because they make her feel weird. I believe she's talked to a doctor but I don't know how regularly.

At any rate, if it's affecting her work, then what? She just confirmed with me that she went to go work on a ticket and did the wrong one, which is exactly what I predicted with her procrastinating doing her tickets until the last minute, which is always what she does.

I guess this is more of a venting thread, I've received opinions and information before on what she can do for the actual migraines, that's for her to research. I guess my question really is, when does it become an issue, where someone needs to say hey, if you can't do your work, then maybe you need to go on disability or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:58 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
When her boss decides it is an issue.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Having had bouts of them: migraines are a serious issue. The medications are less than perfect; for some people they don't work, they can even trigger the migraines themselves. Even after the pain has gone you can be unable to focus well for a day or two afterwards. If it's interfering with her work, it's really up to her supervisor to do something about it though.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Get out of her business. It is between her and your boss.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:21 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Honestly, her medical issues are none of your business. Trying to figure out how to help her or trying to determine if she's taking medication or seeing a doctor is none of your business. If her migraines are interfering with YOUR ability to do YOUR job, tell your manager, without referencing your co-workers illness. It's between your co-worker and her manager.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Get out of her business. It is between her and your boss.
Not necessarily. Because when a co-worker cannot do her job, somebody has to pick up the slack. Most likely the OP is the person who has to "cover" when the co-worker is incapable of doing her job.

I do agree that the boss needs to step up and talk to the woman and explain that if she cannot do her job then she needs to either talk to a doctor who can help her achieve a better quality of life.

My question would be... How does this disability affect her personal life? Is she still going to weddings, parties, cruises, etc., and the migraines only seem to debilitate her when she is at work. If so, there is more to this than meets the eye. It's easy, when you are a slacker to cry "migraine" when you don't want to do something. After all, it's not like a broken leg, it's all subjective. If you say you have a migraine, nobody can dispute that, now can they?

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
There is a question the OP has to ask herself:

Does she want to see the work get done or does she really just want to see her coworker get punished?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Stay out of it. Do your work. Let management and HR figure it out. If her manager decides to ignore it, then so be it. Not your problem. Don't make it your problem. Her missing deadlines is not your problem, it's her manager's issue. Her making mistakes is not your problem, it's her manager's problem. Keep silent and do your work.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Not necessarily. Because when a co-worker cannot do her job, somebody has to pick up the slack. Most likely the OP is the person who has to "cover" when the co-worker is incapable of doing her job.

I do agree that the boss needs to step up and talk to the woman and explain that if she cannot do her job then she needs to either talk to a doctor who can help her achieve a better quality of life.

My question would be... How does this disability affect her personal life? Is she still going to weddings, parties, cruises, etc., and the migraines only seem to debilitate her when she is at work. If so, there is more to this than meets the eye. It's easy, when you are a slacker to cry "migraine" when you don't want to do something. After all, it's not like a broken leg, it's all subjective. If you say you have a migraine, nobody can dispute that, now can they?

20yrsinBranson
No Necessarily. There will never be any circumstance in which a coworker will any input into another coworkers medical treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It is none of your business and should not be an issue with you. It should be an issue with her boss if she can't get her work done or is doing it improperly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment