Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:14 PM
JEM JEM started this thread

33 posts, read 54,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Are you him?
No, we are good friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Would this involve a person from Philly that was warned multiple times to knock it off. If it's you then no I can guarantee you it wasn't me, I didn't care and your posts were comical at times.
To knock what off?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
The rat didn't like this person. She knew that he spent a lot of time posting on the job. She needed a way to get to him, so she did it. His company looked into it and cut him loose. Now he's unemployed, and jobs are scarce. He had no workplace issues prior to this event.

His boss even went to bat for him, so when she didn't act on the information, the rat contacted HR and they lowered the boom. The rat made such a stink that they had no choice. The truth is that he did have a lot of downtime and posted a lot, yet that doesn't give a person the right to contact his employer.

The rat basically ruined his life, for the foreseeable anyway. He's self-supporting and doesn't have a whole lot in savings. Come January, if he's not employed, he's in big trouble.

Okay, so you lost your job for being on the internet when you should have been working.

Was "the rat" right in doing what she did? No --- it was really none of her business.

Was the company wrong for firing you for wasting THEIR time, resources, and money while you played around on the internet? No --- you were playing around when you should have been working.

The bottom line is this: When you are hired for a job, you are on their time for whatever your work hours are. Downtime? No such thing. There is always something to do. If you are at work, you are supposed to be working for your employer, not playing around on the internet, your smartphone, or anything else.

Okay, I'm all geared up now for the attacks I'm sure will be coming my way

Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Okay, so you lost your job for being on the internet when you should have been working.

Was "the rat" right in doing what she did? No --- it was really none of her business.

Was the company wrong for firing you for wasting THEIR time, resources, and money while you played around on the internet? No --- you were playing around when you should have been working.

The bottom line is this: When you are hired for a job, you are on their time for whatever your work hours are. Downtime? No such thing. There is always something to do. If you are at work, you are supposed to be working for your employer, not playing around on the internet, your smartphone, or anything else.

Okay, I'm all geared up now for the attacks I'm sure will be coming my way
Actually, in this case, the bottom line is that the rat was dead wrong. As you said, none of her business. Unless he was doing something illegal, there's no reason to plot and scheme for someone to lose their job. There were calls made and e-mails sent to his work. Lots of investigating. She was relentless and wanted him fired. Kind of psychotic if you ask me.

As for him being online, that's not the issue. Of course the company was right in firing him although I think a warning was in order. Everyone knows that employees shouldn't post while at work, yet so many do. I'm not sure if you're implying that the rat had just cause to drop the dime on someone because he got on her nerves. She's not the judge and jury of him. It's disgusting.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:02 AM

143 posts, read 357,364 times
Ok, so this rat isn't a coworker of your friends?

She's a person who posts on the same internet board where your friend openly speaks about his job and stuff. So she found him on LinkedIn and FaceBook, and from there contacted his boss and HR people to have him fired?

Edit: Creepy stuff like this is the reason I don't have LinkedIn and my Facebook is totally private and doesn't display my last name or my work information.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
Ok, so this rat isn't a coworker of your friends?

She's a person who posts on the same internet board where your friend openly speaks about his job and stuff. So she found him on LinkedIn and FaceBook, and from there contacted his boss and HR people to have him fired?

Edit: Creepy stuff like this is the reason I don't have LinkedIn and my Facebook is totally private and doesn't display my last name or my work information.
The rat only knows my friend from a website, that's it. Yes, she basically stalked the poor guy, nosed around his LinkedIn and Facebook accounts to get what she needed to take him down. Creepy is the perfect word for this.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 AM

143 posts, read 357,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
The rat only knows my friend from a website, that's it. Yes, she basically stalked the poor guy, nosed around his LinkedIn and Facebook accounts to get what she needed to take him down. Creepy is the perfect word for this.
Yeah, definitely creepy. Definitely crosses a few lines. Like I said, this is a perfect example of why I don't use LinkedIn (or Twitter...) and keep my Facebook as private as possible. Even on here I try to keep the info I post about myself/my location to a minimum.

Is there a reason she wanted him to lose his job? This sounds kind of obsessive/stalker-ish, especially if there was no real "motive"... is your friend worried about his safety at all?

Edit: what website did this happen on?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
Yeah, definitely creepy. Definitely crosses a few lines. Like I said, this is a perfect example of why I don't use LinkedIn (or Twitter...) and keep my Facebook as private as possible. Even on here I try to keep the info I post about myself/my location to a minimum.

Is there a reason she wanted him to lose his job? This sounds kind of obsessive/stalker-ish, especially if there was no real "motive"... is your friend worried about his safety at all?

Edit: what website did this happen on?
I'm sorry, I'd rather not say, just yet. He was a comical type guy who made silly threads. People would rag on him, yet his threads would get pages and pages of replies. She just didn't like him. Instead of ignoring him, she would egg him on, making remarks about his posting online. He'd come back, joking that his work expected their employees to goof off. Once she got what she wanted, it was on like popcorn. It was all just a bunch of nothing, you know, just silly bs. No big fights, he just got under her skin.

There's no safety issue. They live thousands of miles apart.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Unless you're particularly stupid, you could. I mean how hard is it to pick up a phone and dial or send an email.

Personally, I wouldn't. It's not my job to narc on employees. Now, if we shared job duties and it was creating inordinate stress and the other person just didn't care that they weren't pulling their weight and I had to pick up the slack? Absolutely. If it's harmless, I wouldn't care.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
My answer would be that it's wrong and it's not the other person's business how much he posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment