Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:10 AM

211 posts, read 529,242 times

Advertisements

From what I understand, most of these are being outsourced to Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Those days are long gone. Back when I was a kid living in the Rochester, N.Y. area Kodak was THE factory job to have. There were a few other large factory employers but Kodak paid well enough to live a nice middle class life. I remember every year the newspaper was filled with "Kodak bonus sales" advertisements. Now Kodak is on its death bed.

I currently live in middle Tennessee. There are quite a few large factory opportunities for people BUT they aren't what they used to be. Nissan recently expanded its factory but nearly ALL of the new hires they brought in are temps making 13 dollars an hour. The GM plant in Spring hill has been hiring but starting workers at 15 dollars an hour. Bridgestone shut down its passenger tire production in 2009 and reduced the workforce during the downturn in its truck tire operations. They started hiring new production workers starting at 13 dollars an hour. The workers USED to start at 20+ dollars an hour.

Looking at the auto suppliers in the area the typical unskilled factory job is paying between 12 to 8 dollars an hour.

Back when I was a kid a man could go to work at one of these factory jobs and his wife could stay home and raise their kids. The family could afford a home and two cars on one income. You can't do that now.
Cry me a river. What's so bad about starting out at 13-15 an hour? Those jobs typically have a lot of overtime. That means you can easily start out making $45k a year with no education.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:15 PM

8,061 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Cry me a river. What's so bad about starting out at 13-15 an hour? Those jobs typically have a lot of overtime. That means you can easily start out making $45k a year with no education.
Yup, its just wonderful. These jobs used to pay 20 dollars an hour or more to start. People DIDN'T HAVE TO work overtime to earn 45k a year.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:27 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The work was boring, physically difficult, tedious, and some times dangerous. absolutely no skills or training or specific aptitude, no extensive pre employment tests, complex background investigations, or employment verifications. no skills or post high school training/education?
Is he willing to work for minimum wage? Is he willing to compete with illegal aliens for work?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:21 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
If location isn't an issue then he can consider General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton Conn. They do take the inexperienced and train them. It's a defence contractor so he will have to keep his nose clean. Get this from my understanding they still have a pension along with another plan he can contribute to. Not a bad deal starting out at such a young age.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
There are still a few jobs here and there like that, but they don't pay what they used to. Many prefer or even require Spanish. Pretty sad. This particular sector has been hit by two forces... Jobs leaving the country, and illegal aliens scoping up the remaining jobs. America and it's workers have been packaged and sold off to the lowest bidder.

If he really wanted to do that work... He will probably have to start off making little. $10/hr, but those jobs often include benefits like paid time off and health insurance. It still a better deal than retail. Is he relatively smart and capable of learning new skills? The skilled trades always pays better. Some companies offer assessment exams for unskilled workers. If they do well, the company will hire them at a halfway decent wage and teach them the skills needed.

Fabrication, welding, machining... The manufacturing trades are still needed, and their workers are fast closing in on retirement. If he is not cut out for college, it may be wise to consider these types of professions. You still need a brain, but these jobs are often geared towards a more hand on type learner. There are several skilled tradesman in my family, and they have all done well. Many of the younger ones like myself followed the same path, and all seems well.

Nobody can say for certain what the future holds, but these careers are still vital. Though companies require fewer skilled tradesman thanks to automation and other technological advancements, there is but a tiny fraction of young people considering these jobs. Worse yet, many of these young folks are not cut out for the work. Unskilled labor perhaps, but skilled tradesmen were always cut from a finer fabric.

It's not a bad idea to start off in an unskilled labor position. That's how many have done it. If he's smart, he will chase bigger and better opportunities in the future. They are there if you look for them.

Quote:
Yup, its just wonderful. These jobs used to pay 20 dollars an hour or more to start. People DIDN'T HAVE TO work overtime to earn 45k a year.

No sense whining about the past. Most young folks like me have to compete in the environment we live in today, not the one enjoyed 30 years ago. There's enough sadness and despair to drive on to drink. Since I'm trying to keep my alcohol consumption in check, I just worry about the cards that were handed to me.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
So? Most professional positions regularly feature 45-60 hour weeks as salaried, exempt positions.A 48 hour average per week allows 120 hours for other activities.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Back in "my day" when I graduated from High School in the 1960s, many of the kids I had gone to school with went straight from High School to the factory and made enough money to bring up a family. There were factory jobs for everyone who wanted to work. The work was boring, physically difficult, tedious, and some times dangerous. But it was steady work for good pay.

They started at the factory with absolutely no skills or training or specific aptitude, but the company did not care. They just wanted workers. There were no extensive pre employment tests, complex background investigations, or employment verifications. If you wanted to work, they wanted you!

Maybe my 19 year old nephew was born 40 years too late, but he would be a perfect person for that era. He wants to work for a company doing work in a factory and or an assembly line.

In your hometown is there any factory jobs available for a recent High School Graduate with no skills or post high school training/education? What type of job would it be and how much would it pay? And is it hard to find a job like this?

Factory jobs, no. However, there are a lot of service jobs in the restaurant, pub, and bar industry that does not require skills or post high school training. It is not uncommon for a waiter, bus boy, or even bathroom attendant to earn several hundred dollars in cash per night here in Chicago.

Most factory jobs around here are unionized, so it is also not uncommon to have blue collar workers earn more than white collar workers.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Hablas Espanol? Does he speak Spanish because a lot of those low paid grinder jobs go to Hispanics that have questionable status.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Most factory jobs around here are unionized, so it is also not uncommon to have blue collar workers earn more than white collar workers.
In Chicagoland? I've seen very few unionized plants still standing. They simply can't compete with the overwhelming majority of shops and plants that pay a pinch of sawdust an hour and require Spanish. Pretty soon, their going to have to print the signs in Spanish.

Here's a good one though... I was doing my grocery shopping in a Mexican grocery store (best prices in town) and I heard an ad on the radio. I knew enough to know it was a job ad. Buncha Spanish, buncha Spanish, something about dinero... General Motors. No crap... General Motors was advertising positions in their union Chicagoloand plant... In Spanish!

This country has a new slave class, Americans need not apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment