Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you do at lunch?
Brown Bag 39 52.00%
Resturant 9 12.00%
Work Through Lunch 15 20.00%
Get some Exercise 5 6.67%
I Don't Have / Take a Lunch Break 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 06:09 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,303,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Do you eat lunch?
Do you skip lunch?
Do you work out?
Play sports?
Are you not allowed a lunch?
Forced to take lunch?
Work a shift without a meal?

So, what about you?
(1) I just transitioned back to night shift, which really messed me up at my previous job. I am trying to only bring a yogurt/fruit/fun-size snack everyday. I guess I eat "lunch" somewhere from 2-4 AM. At my last job, I started eating WAY too much, especially when my sleep schedule was severely disrupted and packed on some pounds that have since been lost.

(2) No. My supervisor told us, however, that if we're really busy and can't take a lunch, let her know and she'll pay us for that hour.

(3) No. I used to be active but not anymore. It's hard on night shift. I actually wish there was a gym at work because I would definitely go during my break. I got really lazy being on night shift at my last job so my now my husband and I have been making sure we go for a 30+ minute walk AT LEAST 4x/week before I leave for work at night.

(4) See above. I miss sports. I miss daylight!

(5 & 6) Nope. We have a contract. We go for lunch. However, I'm not going to let a patient die so if I can't leave the work area, I don't and my supervisor will pay us.

(7) Nope. I need something.

We have a break room with a TV, thankfully, because it gets eerily quiet at night. Not that there's much on anyway but at least there's something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:40 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,716,611 times
I eat at restaurants every day since the company pays for it.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,987,985 times
I usually bring my own lunch 4 days a week, the 5th day I eat at the cafeteria, but we have a really great one with a chef who makes delicious food at affordable prices ($5-$9 lunches).

Most days I do take a full lunch, but random days I will eat at my desk to leave earlier, like if I have a doctor's appointment or something.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:00 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,126,577 times
I used to be able to go home, which was great. Now I brown bag and work halfway through lunch. I wish it was half an hour and I could come in or go home earlier.....

Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 PM

162 posts, read 227,842 times
When I hated the jobs, I ate lunch at the library and looked for employment elsewhere or filled out applications for school. As I wait, I would still eat my lunch somewhere else away from that office politics.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,351,794 times
I order lunch and tend to work while eating. Rarely do I bring something from home.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 PM

874 posts, read 1,258,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Do you eat lunch?
Do you skip lunch?
Do you work out?
Play sports?
Are you not allowed a lunch?
Forced to take lunch?
Work a shift without a meal?

At various times I've:
1. Carried my brown-bag out to the canals to watch the Manatees grazing.
2. Eaten at resturants with co-workers.
3. Met my spouse for lunches in the park, followed by a short run.
4. Skipped lunch and shortened my hours.
5. Worked out in the company gym during lunch.
6. Gone for a long run during lunch.

Currently, I paddle out for a surf a few days a week at lunch. Other days, I take a shorter lunch and just run down to the beach to check the surf and get some exercise. Sometimes I'll eat at a resturant with co-workers, but only on special occasions.

So, what about you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
All 12 months of the year I swim 2000 yards here MWF at lunch, outdoors in the sun. Beautiful. Woollett Aquatic Center in Irvine, CA a couple miles from where I work.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I play outdoor full court basketball, again all year round.

You two know what's up! Nice work. (no pun intended)

As for the poll options, I've done them all, but I mostly pack my own and eat with friends. When the weather's nice, we'll take a walk outside too. In my old life, I worked through lunch every day with the exception of 1-2 days/mo., max. My new lunch style is a welcome change.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,085,496 times
I bring my lunch to work. I have coworkers who buy their lunch everyday, don't know how they can afford it. My brother goes out to lunch most days. Must be nice but I think it might get old too.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:11 AM

6,893 posts, read 7,520,486 times
Yeah, you left out "go home for lunch" as an option. I'm with Wartrace - the dog has to be let out to pee! Plus, it's just a nice peaceful break.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:52 AM

317 posts, read 573,899 times
get a 6 pack and chug it, something fast like a miller lite or a corona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment