Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:23 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times

Advertisements

They may just want your transcripts to prove that you graduated with the degree you said you have and took the classes you said you took. If they have some sort of GPA cutoff, they would have asked your GPA during the screening process. They're probably not going to go through the trouble of bringing you in for an on site interview only to turn you away after getting a glimpse at your transcript. You're not the only one who's time is valuable, you know. All things being equal, a candidate with a good GPA is preferable to a candidate with a bad GPA, but all things are never equal. Just go to the interview, give them your transcript as requested, and don't worry too much about your GPA. I had a horrible college GPA but I'm much better at working than going to school. If people ask about it, that's exactly what I tell them, though it's a much tougher line to sell when you have no work experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 05:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Wow, things are tough out there! In all my decades of employment, I was never once asked for a college transcript. My resume says I graduated magna *** laude and provides contact info to my college. That fact has never been challenged, other than perhaps someone calling to verify and not mentioning it to me. It's a different story if one is applying to graduate school, but for jobs people never used to care much about grades. Perhaps it's the field I was in. Even when I was newly graduated I had work samples an employer could look at.

OP, perhaps you can offer some references from your college who would tell the employer that you were a student who applied himself and ultimately was successful. I'd take a neatly typed single sheet of names and their contact info and hand it over with your transcript. Of course you need to OK this with the people whose names you are providing.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppage View Post
Going to the interview requires me taking a day off work or coming in a few hours late. Not sure whether it's worth it.
Oh look there's the slacker attitude sneaking back in.

It's possible they want to see your technical resume to see what MATERIAL you actually LEARNED. And your overall GPA.

From what I remember, you can retake those courses, right?

So do it.

You obviously had enough courses to graduate, right? So I don't really understand what's going on anyway. What HAPPENED to those courses? Were they electives or replaced with something?

What's your plan? Never ever apply for another job again?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:39 PM

52 posts, read 111,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Oh look there's the slacker attitude sneaking back in.
That has nothing to do with being a slacker. I recently started work at a warehouse and I don't want to already be asking for days off.

Quote:
From what I remember, you can retake those courses, right?
I'm graduated. Not sure if I mentioned that.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
You'll never go until you go, and at the very least it'll give you practice on your interview skills. Go for it.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,614 times
Quote:
I have an interview with the state government on November 12th. I was excited until the manager told me to bring my transcripts. I'm thinking about canceling the interview because my transcript has a couple blots on it because I went through a period of depressing and thus unmotivation. If they take a thorough look though my transcript then they'll see those times where I dropped classes and got a 0.0 in 2 different classes I wasn't able to drop. Other than that my grades are consistently in the 3.0-3.5 range.
I'd say that I decided to take time off but didn't meet the cut-off time to withdraw from the classes without it showing as a 0 on my transcript.

I've got a whole semester of 0's on my transcript

Old 11-02-2013, 01:27 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
People that are saying that anyone might be screwed out of a govt job because of a couple of F's don't have a clue what they are talking about. I have a relatively good paying job with the federal govt and my first semester in college I had a 0.86 GPA. That was two F's, a D, a C and a Satisfactory. Then I continued with occasional subpar (F's) performances until I finally graduated many years later. Suffice it to say that I have more than your two "0's", and it never came up in my interviews.

My guess is that they want to see your transcript because they'd like to see something up front that shows you meet the education requirement, whatever that is. But, you know, if you are content with putting your college degree to work in a warehouse job, then sure, don't go to the interview.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:58 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,037 times
Quote:
But my bad times were near the end.
So, this isn't great. But it is what it is. You can't change what you did. You just need to explain candidly and do better in the present so that you establish a more recent history that looks better than your current recent history.

Quote:
Not in my opinion. School and work are two very different things. Many college students slack off because they lack direction or are depressed, but that doesn't affect their ability to show up on time to their job and work hard.
You're making excuses for your poor performance. The fact that you don't take any responsibility for your past performance would be even more concerning than just the "blight" on your history you're worried about in the first place. Without a relevant work history, your performance history in school is the closest thing they can look at. It's perfectly fair.

Quote:
They want me to bring my transcript to the interview. The manager sent me an email saying I had been selected for an interview if I'm still interested in the position. The interview is a 2-hr long, on-site technical interview and I'm supposed to bring my transcripts. I dread the possibility of one of my interviewers being an academic snob who sees my transcripts and suddenly gets a bad impression of me.
You can't change the fact that you had some bad periods in college. You also can't change how future employers feel about it. They have a right to decide you aren't an ideal candidate because of it. However, what you can do is work to make sure you are more consistent going forward so that they see you are capable of sticking with something and doing well long-term. Don't get a chip on your shoulder. It may not be the only thing they care about. It may not matter. But being able to take responsibility for your past choices and performances is key.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 22,790 times
Your attitude about the whole thing will really impact the view they take; if you go in dejected and assuming they'll reject you, they will. Be positive. Let them know your record has some bad spots because you were going through a personal crisis, but you overcame it and graduated despite the challenges. Overcoming difficulties is part of life, and the fact that you didn't give up should impress your prospective employer. Be proud of the fact that you overcame this challenge - many people never advance past their problems.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Floppage, likely they have already picked who they want to hire but being a gov't agency they have to interview so many people. You are probably just part of an unwanted quota.

The good side is that you can add this experience to the dozen other threads you've done on the topic of your unwantedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment