Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:36 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,402,092 times

Advertisements

Incapable of using a bus route? I went to a job interview yesterday that I'm waiting to hear back from. I have a fresh list of jobs I apply for. It may come down to me having to go to another state because there's no work to be had with only a GED and limited work history in the state of massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 PM

29,643 posts, read 24,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Incapable of using a bus route? I went to a job interview yesterday that I'm waiting to hear back from. I have a fresh list of jobs I apply for. It may come down to me having to go to another state because there's no work to be had with only a GED and limited work history in the state of massachusetts.
Perhaps a scaling back of the internet whining could be incorporated into your plan for success?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,402,092 times
If you know of any companies in america that will hire someone with a GED and not much work history (because it's so hard to find a SIMPLE JOB in this economy since 2008) let me know. I'm willing to stay in a homeless shelter if I have to.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:06 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,741,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So if an effort may not net results, it isn't worth making an effort? I don't get it... You might think it's cute to call others "bootstrapers", but if those are the folks finding success, wouldn't it be worth taking a page from their playbook?
It isn't worth the effort when you waste time and effort on nothing. Think about it this way. You can do 5 applications and take up 5 hours of your time and hear nothing back because whatever reason (resume black hole, under-qualified, not connected, ect.) or you could be with say friends or family and not sign up for jobs. Both actions have the same end game. Neither give a different net result. I am utilitarian and ultimately if the net result is the same, non action is better. You waste less time and energy.

The big issue with the suggestion is what works in one company may not work in another let alone different industries or even in some cases are irrelevant to the specific situation one is in. And when someone questions that many successful people look at that as whining.

Another thing is many people who talk about success forget about the biggest factor, luck. Luck is almost everything when it comes to finding a job whether you are unemployed or underemployed. You may be following the perfect interview and now you are not going to get the job because you don't know the bar. Think of it this way, if there was a better candidate that put in for any job you got, you wouldn't have gotten it. And not by lack of effort, but because someone is bigger, stronger, smarter or better than you.

Quote:
There's an awful lot of people here who seem to believe that success is a god given right. Some believe that the entire country will crash and burn if they don't get that super awesome, high paying middle class job. I don't know if this logic deincentivizes the individual in their effort, but that logic is entirely false. There have always been people who live miserable lives complete with low paying, unstable work. The economy did fine. Fact is, the economy will always need folks to flip burgers. For the foreseeable future, it will also require a slave class who makes just enough to eat, put gas in the car and afford a place to sleep. If anything, that should provide ample incentive to work even harder towards one's goals of beating the system.
I honestly think the country will should the middle class not get rebuilt. Not because of the whole idea that I have that eventually the wants that drive the economy will be out of reach and cause companies to close down because they don't make enough profit. (I still think that is a possibility though.)
What is the reason I think the country will crash and burn, because if not we'll need to tax the rich to make up the loss in tax revenue. The middle class pays the bulk of the taxes in this country and since 2008, the middle class has been crushed and is a shell of its former self.

Do we need the low end retail, yes. Do we need burger flippers, yes. The issue is we have too many of these jobs created and not enough of the jobs that were actually lost during the recession. More middle and high wage jobs were lost than low wage jobs during the recession but more low wage jobs wage jobs were created during this "recovery" than middle and high wage jobs. That is not a sound economic strategy for the long-term.

Quote:
It is a tough world to get a break in. What have you done today to compete with the millions of other folks looking for a job? Ask yourself that question each and every day. Or join the ranks of roaming grovelers who satisfy their frustrations by harboring the victim mentality.
I had an interview today thank you very much. One that only a few people did due to the fact it was a posting up for only a few days and need to be filled fast. I'll see where that goes. I also was looking at jobs too.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 AM

7,021 posts, read 14,414,879 times
Read this article and it may change your perspectives..

The Secret Experiment I Just Performed On You - and Why You (Still) Shouldn't Overestimate the Competition | M&I

Although it's written for Finance, the principles could apply to any industry or level.

And before you argue how it's short sighted or it couldn't possibly work, actually DO some of the things suggested in the article (like reaching out to people.) THEN if it still doesn't work, feel free to whine about it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It isn't worth the effort when you waste time and effort on nothing. Think about it this way. You can do 5 applications and take up 5 hours of your time and hear nothing back because whatever reason (resume black hole, under-qualified, not connected, ect.) or you could be with say friends or family and not sign up for jobs. Both actions have the same end game. Neither give a different net result. I am utilitarian and ultimately if the net result is the same, non action is better. You waste less time and energy.

The big issue with the suggestion is what works in one company may not work in another let alone different industries or even in some cases are irrelevant to the specific situation one is in. And when someone questions that many successful people look at that as whining.

Another thing is many people who talk about success forget about the biggest factor, luck. Luck is almost everything when it comes to finding a job whether you are unemployed or underemployed. You may be following the perfect interview and now you are not going to get the job because you don't know the bar. Think of it this way, if there was a better candidate that put in for any job you got, you wouldn't have gotten it. And not by lack of effort, but because someone is bigger, stronger, smarter or better than you.

I honestly think the country will should the middle class not get rebuilt. Not because of the whole idea that I have that eventually the wants that drive the economy will be out of reach and cause companies to close down because they don't make enough profit. (I still think that is a possibility though.)
What is the reason I think the country will crash and burn, because if not we'll need to tax the rich to make up the loss in tax revenue. The middle class pays the bulk of the taxes in this country and since 2008, the middle class has been crushed and is a shell of its former self.

Do we need the low end retail, yes. Do we need burger flippers, yes. The issue is we have too many of these jobs created and not enough of the jobs that were actually lost during the recession. More middle and high wage jobs were lost than low wage jobs during the recession but more low wage jobs wage jobs were created during this "recovery" than middle and high wage jobs. That is not a sound economic strategy for the long-term.

I had an interview today thank you very much. One that only a few people did due to the fact it was a posting up for only a few days and need to be filled fast. I'll see where that goes. I also was looking at jobs too.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,741,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Read this article and it may change your perspectives..

The Secret Experiment I Just Performed On You - and Why You (Still) Shouldn't Overestimate the Competition | M&I

Although it's written for Finance, the principles could apply to any industry or level.

And before you argue how it's short sighted or it couldn't possibly work, actually DO some of the things suggested in the article (like reaching out to people.) THEN if it still doesn't work, feel free to whine about it later.
I don't disagree with that article. There is good logic in there, no doubt about it. However if you are the internal candidate let's say, you do rely on luck that perhaps you are the best available candidate for the job. Otherwise, you won't get the job. I am pragmatic but not negative. It is not out the realm of possibility that you can be in that 75% of those getting the interview based on a connection. However, that's still 74% at most, you have to rise above. If you are external but had the amazing resume, you need to rise above all that much more and be a damn great interview.

Not trying to nitpick but I think it just supports my views in someways. Could this be my own framing, perhaps but if you read what I've said about you need to rely on luck that you are the best candidate that fits their needs, it doesn't matter if you were in the 25% or 75% because you are the one that ended up with the job, not the first person who set the initial bar, the person who went before you, the person that went after you or the last interview of the interviews. And no, I am not trying to whine or complain before trying the options, I am just a pragmatist and realize that I have to be lucky that nobody is better than me and I meet the essential needs the company needs filled at that point in time.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 AM

10 posts, read 22,081 times
From my own experience, what I saw is that companies laid off workers and continually divided up their work and expected employees to do more for the same pay. I would imagine after years of this routine, you get a little po'd and suddenly, whatever morale you had is out the window. That can carry over to new companies, so even though an employee is starting fresh at a new place, they may be a little skeptical at how things might turn out. Again, morale. I think most people when they feel appreciated will want to do a good job. When they know they could be gone the next day, maybe they aren't going to put their heart and soul into what they're doing. Maybe companies need to stop treating their employees as machines.

The flip side is the labor pool that's out there. Some people that would make great employees have given up looking for work altogether! I wonder about new grads and their work ethic or lack thereof. I don't have much experience with that so I don't know what's going wrong there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment