Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 AM

544 posts, read 610,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
I said that to a coworker once. "How freeing it must be to work at Starbucks!" And she said no, we would just bring the same approach to work to a different place and before long we'd be complaining about different things and stressing about different things.

That was a very non-thought out comment you made to her. Starbucks is practically like fast food work. Which is hard work. Standing on your feet all day, dealing with a bazillion customers that act like kids even though they are 45 and are business professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 09:43 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
You'd be surprised at the qualifications it takes to be a librarian...but yea, low stress.
True, but librarians appear to be going the way of the dinosaur. Check out the placement rates for recent library school grads: Placements & Salaries 2013: Explore All the Data#_

Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM

219 posts, read 483,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
That was a very non-thought out comment you made to her. Starbucks is practically like fast food work. Which is hard work. Standing on your feet all day, dealing with a bazillion customers that act like kids even though they are 45 and are business professionals.
The point was not to belittle the job nor to say it's an "easy" job. I've done fast-food work before. And no, it wasn't "thought out." It was a comment I made in a moment of exasperation in an office environment following a typical meeting that was complicated and draining for reasons it would take me too long to get into.

The point was that someone who tends to stress out about stuff will stress out regardless of what they're doing, whether it's work or going on a trip or whatever.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 AM

544 posts, read 610,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
True, but librarians appear to be going the way of the dinosaur. Check out the placement rates for recent library school grads: Placements & Salaries 2013: Explore All the Data#_
You also have to take into consideration that librarians are known for being great in bed, so they have to fend off guys non-stop.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
lol @ NFL referee and ice cream truck driver. How about candy taster? Sadly, I suspect what another poster said is true -- there aren't many low stress job options left now.

Dental hygienist does make at least one list of low stress jobs, so it's interesting that a poster who does this job confirms this. Another job that makes the low stress list is hair stylist. My dad owned a barber shop -- started cutting hair at age 18 and did it until the day he died. He was probably the happiest, least stressed person I have ever known.
Of course with dental hygiene it can depend on the dentist you work for. If you work for a total jerk who is breathing down your throat, then dental hygiene might become stressful. With hairdressing, you have to deal with messing up a person's hair, which a lot of people can become very sensitive about. Then, you might have to deal with someone who becomes angry because you couldn't maker her look like Kim Kardasian or Jennifer Anniston.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Someone listed baker as a low stress job? Try having an order for a large, ornate wedding cake or a high volume order of decorated cookies or cupcakes.
Yeah, and they have to carry very heavy trays of donuts and pastries all day. I am not sure there is any job that is low stress.

Maybe blogger perhaps?? Of course, then you have to deal with stress if your blog doesn't make any money.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:32 PM

308 posts, read 600,375 times
deliver pizza for papa johns

Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times
From personal experience: Painter and decorator. The painting side particularly, I found it VERY therapeutic, it is however mind numbing. Any craft based job as well (i.e. potter) but you have to have the knack for it.

Design jobs however are high stress, but more intellectually rewarding.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:34 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Stress means different things to different people.

The isolation of library work or the boredom of some of the jobs mentioned above would be stressful for me.

I think the OP meant jobs where you do not have someone standing over you all the time, constant short deadlines, quick turn-around if I am not mistaken? Maybe low pressure instead of low stress?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Of course with dental hygiene it can depend on the dentist you work for. If you work for a total jerk who is breathing down your throat, then dental hygiene might become stressful. With hairdressing, you have to deal with messing up a person's hair, which a lot of people can become very sensitive about. Then, you might have to deal with someone who becomes angry because you couldn't maker her look like Kim Kardasian or Jennifer Anniston.
Not sure about dental hygienist, but hair styling really is low stress. If a customer doesn't like your work, he or she doesn't come back. Over time, you develop a loyal customer base and seeing them is like seeing old friends. My dad saw new faces here and there, but they were probably less than ten percent of his business. Most were regulars. The downside is the pay. You can only cut so much hair in a day. All in all though it's not a bad life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment