Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 08:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times

Advertisements

When I interviewed, the HM mentioned that some people in the department work 72 hours a pay period. I didn't say anything one way or the other about that, but I definitely would rather work 72 hours than 80. So I was offered the job I applied for and I wasn't offered any options. Haven't started the job yet, but I do remember either the HM or HR said "we hired you for 80 hours a pay period." I didn't know I had a choice because I wasn't offered a choice, so I just said "okay." Now I see they are advertising the same job as mine, but 72 hours a pay period. I don't remember if the one I applied for specifically said 80 hours a pay period, but it probably did.

So once you are locked in for 80 hours a pay period is it that big a deal to switch to still full time but 72 hours a pay period? I'm sure they don't HAVE to let you switch if they don't want to. I just wish they had told me: We have this and this; would you prefer one over the other? But they didn't say anything at all other than they hired me for 80 hours a pay period. Am I pretty much locked into 80 hours a pay period because that's what I said "okay" to?

Last edited by luzianne; 11-03-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
You eligibility for benefits could come into play if you work less than 40 hours a week.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It may be related to benefits, it may be related to a paid v. unpaid lunch, it may be related to something else. You are just going to have to ask them.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 AM

No, it wouldn't affect benefits. Full time is considered 36 to 40 hours a week. I'm just wondering how hard it is to change, or if it's even possible, if you are hired for a specific number of hours a week.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It depends on the company, what is done at one is not going to be done at all of the others. I would not suggest even asking until after any probationary period is over.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
I don't understand how your company is structured with one position having a 72 hour req, another 80. There must be some difference in coverage schedule, salary, requirements, otherwise it simply doesn't make sense.

Bearing in mind that I find your structure confusing, I have never renegotiated the terms of a job immediately after hiring. I offered you a job, you accepted, that's it. If you come to me very early on and try to change things, you start to enter the category of high maintenance, troublesome employee.

I am open to talking about terms and conditions a year in, after you have established yourself and we both know how things are going. Life changes, business changes, other personnel shifts sometimes require it.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I don't understand how your company is structured with one position having a 72 hour req, another 80. There must be some difference in coverage schedule, salary, requirements, otherwise it simply doesn't make sense.

Bearing in mind that I find your structure confusing, I have never renegotiated the terms of a job immediately after hiring. I offered you a job, you accepted, that's it. If you come to me very early on and try to change things, you start to enter the category of high maintenance, troublesome employee.

I am open to talking about terms and conditions a year in, after you have established yourself and we both know how things are going. Life changes, business changes, other personnel shifts sometimes require it.
That's what I was wondering. Thanks for the feedback. It's actually a hospital, so people work all different kinds of schedules. Some work four 10 hour days a week. Some work four 9 hour days. Some work five 8 hour days. If you work 36 hours you get paid for 36, not 40. Some of it is dictated by coverage needed. I just feel like I should have been offered whatever options were available instead of pigeonholed into one and not told about the other. I didn't realize anything else was available because no one told me. Given an option, I definitely would have jumped on the 72 hour per pay period job rather than the 80 hour per pay period job. If I had realized when they offered me the job that they also were hiring for 72 hours a week, I would have asked them about that before I accepted.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
I see. I know very little about hospitals, but they are very large employers, so I imagine there is a reasonable amount of turnover, simply because somebody somewhere is going to retire or move.

I would wait 6 months then ask if you could move to a 72 hour position next time one opens up. That way you let your manager know your interest without being annoying.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:17 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
It's possible they just have different positions. They may not need everyone to work 5 days a week and those that are working 72 hrs now applied and were hired for positions posted with 72 hrs. (I'm assuming this is an hourly vs salaried position).

Since they now have a 72 hr position posted, you could conceivably go to HR and ask about the 72 hr position and allow them to hire for your 80 hr position. Keep in mind if they do go for it you may have to work the 80 hrs until they can hire for a new person.

Also know that it may not look great if you were recently hired and already want to work less. You may want to find out more about how the 72 hr people are scheduled - is it 9 full days, is it still 5 days a week but shorter days, ect...I doubt you'd be getting to decide that portion of it and that may affect your interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment