Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times

Advertisements

There's a serious disconnect between companies and potential employees in the United States—one that may be holding our entire economy back. And, contrary to the conventional wisdom, it's a problem that has been caused—and can only be cured by—companies.

Why Good People Can't Find Jobs -- What You're Up Against|Vault Blogs|Vault.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 03:41 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
For everyone who feels trapped by what the media have been selling to us as an "economic collapse" over the last five years or so, I'm going to suggest reading a little Steinbeck -- The Grapes of Wrath raises some points, but it needs to be compensated with Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday, two lighter-hearted stories of how one community got through a major economic upheaval.

The point in those two works was that everyone who tried found something to fall back upon; not the fancy packages sold to us today by the hypesters of Madison Avenue and the Beltway, but a locally-based network that helped everybody get by by "taking it out in trade" (And remember, Steinbeck set his writings in a time before everyone looked to Big Brother/Sister for the supposed "answers".)

Greater reliance on both our local resources and ourselves would lead usto discover that there's a lot more potential out there than meets the eye at first. But what would our state and national hacks and grafters do without somebody to lead around by the nose?

They might have to do what a lot of the whiners here are complaining about; they migh actually have to get an honest, challenging job.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-11-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Some say that will change once the older populations leave the workforce, but I'm not holding my breath. I see alot of temporary basic warehouse positions out here and most of the require prior experience and/or a forklift license.
What happened with the classes? What about the bus route? Did you ever take it?

I work full time + occasional overtime and STILL find myself taking manuals and books home so I can improve my ability on the job. Between all the downtime you've had whining here, how many books and educational resources have you read?

Nobody owns your personal failure but YOU.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What happened with the classes? What about the bus route? Did you ever take it?

I work full time + occasional overtime and STILL find myself taking manuals and books home so I can improve my ability on the job. Between all the downtime you've had whining here, how many books and educational resources have you read?

Nobody owns your personal failure but YOU.
We all know the answer to those questions.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
There's a serious disconnect between companies and potential employees in the United States—one that may be holding our entire economy back. And, contrary to the conventional wisdom, it's a problem that has been caused—and can only be cured by—companies.

Why Good People Can't Find Jobs -- What You're Up Against|Vault Blogs|Vault.com
eapprentice

There you go. Now you have something to occupy all that free time that would normally be spent here whining. You don't even have to get on the bus or visit a vocational school or college. Learn 1% of what's on there and discuss what you've learned with a potential employer.

Unfortunately, there is not a web site that offers an attitude transplant, which is what you need most.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
I need hands on job training and a certification. I'll admit you suprised me though, I never seen that site before.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I need hands on job training and a certification. I'll admit you suprised me though, I never seen that site before.
No, you need a new past time besides whining on the internet. I shudder to think where my life would be today if I had your attitude and approach.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Since the whole world has to be about you and your inability to solve your own quandary...

Haas Technical Forum: Manual Updates | Haas Automation, Inc. | CNC Machine Tools

Read the operators manual thoroughly, all 200 and something pages. If you have time to whine on the internet, you have time to learn something that may be useful in your pursuits.

And take some of those tax payer donations and invest in a future.

CNC Programming Handbook, Third Edition: Peter Smid: 9780831133474: Amazon.com: Books

So maybe you can be a proud tax payer one day.

Only after you have made SOME attempt to secure a future for yourself may you whine and complain about lack of opportunities.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
You and a lot of people. Sadly employers shifted from job training and complaining that people can't get up to speed, they have gone and moved it to people gaining job training outside and then complain that they cannot find talent that does things our way. If there are managers that think my view is wrong, please reply to it.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:06 AM

582 posts, read 779,217 times
I decided to give in. The whiners are correct. The only people getting jobs are those that already have experience. So all those in college, save your money and drop out. There won't be any jobs for you since you have no experience. All you high school seniors, might as well get used to living at home. Because even so the US is the second largest manufacturing country in the world, producing more products than the combined countries of Europe, none of the manufactures will hire anyone without experience. I'm also sorry to inform those that work for company that provide training services to corporation, you will be out of a job soon. It's clear that no companies provide training any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment