Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times

Advertisements

Keys to success is 21rst century America

1) Be rich
2) Pay people a dime above minimum wage
3) Enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:00 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Since the job isn't entry level you probably want someone with years of experience. This is part of the skills gap myth. It's not that you can't find workers...you just can't find workers that can get off the launch pad right away. A job like yours in the Pittsburgh area would get tons of applicants if you had reasonable qualifications. Employers are not willing to train anymore so the younger generations are having trouble getting any experience or getting their foot in the door.
^This is literally killing me every day I go apply for jobs. I see so many jobs that I know I could do. I read the posting and think to myself "I could've done that in high school" and then I read the requirements and they want years of experience or a VERY specific degree or certificate. If employers were willing to spend, say, a couple weeks training new employees, I'm confident I could do anything (besides obvious things like being a doctor).

I'm the type to generally have an upbeat attitude, but I can't even begin to express how much the entry level job market sucks. I didn't grow up getting awards for every breath I took, but never before have I felt this worthless.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
^This is literally killing me every day I go apply for jobs. I see so many jobs that I know I could do. I read the posting and think to myself "I could've done that in high school" and then I read the requirements and they want years of experience or a VERY specific degree or certificate. If employers were willing to spend, say, a couple weeks training new employees, I'm confident I could do anything (besides obvious things like being a doctor).

I'm the type to generally have an upbeat attitude, but I can't even begin to express how much the entry level job market sucks. I didn't grow up getting awards for every breath I took, but never before have I felt this worthless.
But it isn't true. It's all just a ruse. Jobs aren't really there. People 50 and older can't find work. People 30 and under can't find work. The point is, the jobs are a ruse because all the jobs are already taken up and will only open up for people that already have jobs. See how it works? I can't wait to see all fast food jobs being taken over by machines, nothing says riots like poor people unable to find work at the bottom.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Denied a way to *earn* a living, millions of people are forced to turn to the government just to survive
I predict that this country will move steadily to the left, eventually becoming a fully Marxist state, in which the government controls nearly the entire economy. Just take a peek at the ongoing Obamacare debacle and imagine that on an economy-wide scale.
I for one think this is EXACTLY what the powers that be want to happen. Nothing that is happening right now is an accident. And when it does, and when they say you will have to be microchipped, because they will, in order to get food or shelter, that is really the end. Didn't a little book called Revelation mention an implanted chip of some sort?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
But it isn't true. It's all just a ruse. Jobs aren't really there. People 50 and older can't find work. People 30 and under can't find work. The point is, the jobs are a ruse because all the jobs are already taken up and will only open up for people that already have jobs. See how it works? I can't wait to see all fast food jobs being taken over by machines, nothing says riots like poor people unable to find work at the bottom.
Yeah. I just hate when people tell me to go work anywhere, take any job... and I'm just like "I'M TRYING!!!" lol.

Literally the only job I will not do is janitorial work and that's because I'm sensitive to smells. The smell of public restrooms, vomit, trash, and other gross things causes an instant gag reflex and I throw up almost immediately. It's actually pretty strange I guess... I've thrown up in public places because of it. Walking past trashcans is a big "no no" for me. Haha.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:34 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I debated enough with him to know it's pointless. He's simply repeating the same tired mantra over and over again. Besides, I'm not going to debate with someone who feels they have the audacity to dictate what my opinions and beliefs are. And I simply don't have the time to get wrapped up in meaningless debate. People are very good at pointing out the problems. Seldom do they offer reasonable and viable solutions. Enter the groveling whiner routine. Then it's a matter of placing the blame.

And the country has been going down the can for a much longer period of time. It was simply masked temporarily with easy money while the can was kicked. Didn't hear many whining when all those blue collar jobs were packed up and shipped off. That's right... It didn't effect everyone. They should have studied harder in school, right?
And how are you any different? You post the same thing over and over again worded differently. The sentence in bold is tripe. Many people have offered complete solutions or even solutions to specific problems, but this country is full of "see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil" monkeys. Don't hurt the rich man, he will take all the jobs to China. Cowards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire
I didn't say people don't want to work. Most do. Unfortunately, many of the jobs available are unpopular and go unfilled. What makes you so sure I'm a republican? I didn't vote last time around because both choices were god awful. It was like asking which cyanide pill would you prefer.
This paragraph makes me think of powdered donuts. Not sure why. There were actually a lot of choices, it's just everyone thinks their vote doesn't matter and would rather keep the current political system in place. Many of the so called jobs that are there go unfilled? Endless videos on youtube of people talking about going to ND looking for oil field jobs that aren't there. Big box stores can only hire so many people.

We need a different economic model in the 21st century. Making living things into dead things isn't how to do things.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Quote:

Maybe you could start a product line with the seal of "made by overpaid and unqualified workers". If the problem you speak of is so pervasive, consumers would SURELY flock to your products. But then again, you would be one of those business owners that your ill rails against.
Actually, we have that now; it's called Starbucks' "Fair Trade" coffee --- and Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Since the job isn't entry level you probably want someone with years of experience. This is part of the skills gap myth. It's not that you can't find workers...you just can't find workers that can get off the launch pad right away. A job like yours in the Pittsburgh area would get tons of applicants if you had reasonable qualifications. Employers are not willing to train anymore so the younger generations are having trouble getting any experience or getting their foot in the door.

This has been a issue for many decades. How to get experience when you need experience to get the job.

The vast majority of people I know did so through internships.

Unfortunately, the courts are making unpaid internships more difficult, but still, internships are out there and available. Do them in your summers between semesters and that first year (if you don't have a job) or two right after undergrad. It got my foot in the door and I am far from alone.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:33 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,019 times
Quote:
No offense, but one would be far better off moving to a lower COL location where they could earn 25-28K for a similar job. I doubt Seattle is considered much of a hotbed for assembly jobs.
Well the issue of livability was not part of the OPs claim. He was simply saying he cant get a job, and I am simply saying that there are lots of jobs that go unfilled. MANY people live here on that wage, so it is doable, especially in a dual income home. These positions go up well past $25/hour and again, full benefits. Whether Seattle is a hotbed for assembly jobs doesn't matter, that just happens to be what I have.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:35 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,381 times
If you hate competition, then goto a communist country. People that fail to compete are the same ones that want to give everyone a trophy in kids soccer leagues just for participating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment