Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,835 times

Advertisements

So, my one year anniversary is up. I have proven to management that I am a hard working individual who always goes above and beyond. And I'm not just talking out of my mouth. I have been acknowledged on many occasions by management. I have been told that I am the most productive employee in my department. Also, my punctuality and attendance are great.

I'm thinking about asking for a raise but don't know if I should. I know I already get paid more than a few of my co-workers (they shared their salary with me) but I do have much more experience than they do. And I think my pay is probably more than what is normally paid for my type of position but I want more money. Should I ask for a raise? And how should I ask? Should I tell them how much more I want or should I let them tell me how much they are willing to raise to? I'm not good when it comes to this type of stuff.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
It never has worked for me. I ask my boss for a raise every morning as soon as I walk in the door, and he always says no. =(

Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Absolutely. Start by requesting an anniversary performance review. Employees usually don't request performance reviews unless they are confident their performance is excellent and justifies a salary increase. They will understand this. If they arrange a review they will be prepared with an offer, if they avoid one they do not intend to increase salary.

Make your case as you did here, highlight your performance and give examples. Have a reasonable number in mind. If they offer a number that exceeds it, smile and accept. If it doesn't or they don't make an offer, present yours.

I doubt they started you off at the maximum they are prepared to pay, especially if you are as weak at negotiating starting salary as you are at requesting a salary increase. ;-)

Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Seriously though, I have never requested a raise at a job. What's the point?

If I know my performance has been great and I have been working somewhere for a couple of years without a hint that I will be getting a raise, I start sending out resumes.

Your company doesn't need to be reminded to give you a raise. If you feel you are worth more than what your employer is paying you, find a different job.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAlvarez2011 View Post
And I think my pay is probably more than what is normally paid for my type of position but I want more money. .
This sounds problematic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment