Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,549 times

Advertisements

I don't think kicking her out is the way to go in this situation. Have you talked to her to find out the reasons why she gets herself fired? Is it intentional? Does she become bored and needs something challenging? Why doesn't she just look for another job instead of getting fired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
The daughter has chosen her own path and mom can talk till she's blue in the face, or wring her hands all day and the 'kid' is not going to change her destructive life choices.

Hopefully mom isn't supporting this gal; that would only enable her to continue her ways.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:03 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
25 years old?

She is an ADULT.

She won't change until the roof over her head depends on it.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I am so glad to have found this I am at my wit's end on how to deal with my adult daughter! She is 25 yet she's been fired from every job she's ever had, and all for the same reason; attendance.

The thing is when she starts a job she's very good at it but after about a year to a year and a half she starts to get bored and starts slacking off to the point where she will make up lies so she can call in. For example, at her latest job she was fired for (after working there for 15 months) telling her boss she had fell and injured her leg and needed a few days to recuperate. He was nice and told her no problem, unfortunately she was busted when he saw her out and about, she was fired shortly there after (this wasn't the only incident there).

She has had a total of 6 jobs and the longest job she's had was 19 months; not even two years!

To make matters worse I found out she was secretly taking money from me by using my credit card to make what would seem to be an innocent transaction from wal mart or whatever but she'd use the "cash back" to get cash after she'd use my card for gas or something. Once I found that out I told her she can not use it anymore.

Any advice? Thanks!
Kicking her out of your home could be good but that is totally up to you. Where would she go if she's penniless? It's easier to say than do when it comes down to it because you still want her to be safe.

You can decide to let her still have a roof over her head in your home, and food to eat but I would cut the food way back to the very basics. Cut off ALL money. Never give her money for gas, never let her use the credit card for anything. If she gets tired of peanut butter or baloney sandwiches, she may start thinking about working. Stop paying her way for everything else.

If she ever steals from you or pawns anything, then kick her out of the house. Likely you've just made it way too easy because you hand her money or a credit card every time she's between jobs so that being between jobs doesn't hurt.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:19 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
She doesn't mind being fired because there is nothing that "scares" her about losing that job. She has a nice comfy cushion to land on till she finds something else. That cushion is you, your food, your utilities, your room for her etc. I bet you buy her gas to help her "look" for another job etc. In all honesty, her job is something extra for fun stuff and that's what motivates her into working. But her necessities are all taken care of so it's just "roughing" it for a few months in between jobs on your dime.

You need to make it extremely tough on her if she loses a job. Lose her "room" by locking her door and make her a couch surfer. Change the password on the wifi. Let her cellphone go out of service for non payment. If possible, buy her an unlimited bus pass so she can look for jobs/go to interviews. Don't give her gas money. Lock your room before you leave so she can't rummage through it. It will be very annoying on you (and don't hesitate to show that annoyance too!) but the lesson will be valuable to her. (that is if you don't want to kick her out, this is the alternative)

Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Adhd?

Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I pretty much agree with everyone else. I also wonder if she has ADHD or something. But even if she does, she needs to keep a job. It is part of being an adult. If she lives with you, give her a month to move out and make sure she knows you will not come to her rescue if she runs out of money, and follow through! Feeding yourself and keeping a roof over your head are great motivators.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
Even if she had ADHD, mom has to be careful to use that as another excuse.

I have ADHD - two jobs minimum my whole life due to boredom/need for constant change, until I found a happy medium as a 911 operator (good enough to keep me from getting too bored).

Old 11-09-2013, 10:41 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
25 years old?

She is an ADULT.

She won't change until the roof over her head depends on it.
I agree completely.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:45 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Oh I don't know. Some people like have their 40 year old living in their basement needy and dependent on Mommy for everything. Nothing wrong with that if you're into that whole sick codependent thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment