Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:49 PM

8 posts, read 8,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds to me like its time to change jobs before it becomes obvious that you have a problem with the "close family member of the owner" and get yourself fired.
So you're saying there is nothing I can do even if my coworker has no degree, and no knowledge in our field as he/she was just hired so she can have a paying job?

I always have to re-do his/her projects and stop my work to teach this person how to do their job. I don't get paid for training btw. He/she has been here for 2 years and should know how to do things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 03:52 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,639,296 times
since you are young and inexperienced, I wouldn't worry about trying to get anyone fired at this point. focus on the task at hand, your work and leave the drama for another time. I don't think that will look good for a novice to be caught up in the middle of trying to get someone fired. what if it don't work, especially if the person at question is related to the owner. don't let the drama overshadow your good work just stay focus, you only have to deal with this person 8 hours a day.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:58 PM

8 posts, read 8,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
since you are young and inexperienced, I wouldn't worry about trying to get anyone fired at this point. focus on the task at hand, your work and leave the drama for another time. I don't think that will look good for a novice to be caught up in the middle of trying to get someone fired. what if it don't work, especially if the person at question is related to the owner. don't let the drama overshadow your good work just stay focus, you only have to deal with this person 8 hours a day.

As I said, it's not just a 9-5 job for me.
This is my career, and he/she is actually making the company look horrible by putting out bad design/photoshop work that I have to re-do.

I've tried politely correcting this person and tried to give him/her tips on how to do photoshop but he/she doesn't listen. Then I'm later asked by my boss to re-do his/her work.

I'm wondering what I can do to better my situation.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,491,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morecoffeelesssleep View Post
So you're saying there is nothing I can do even if my coworker has no degree, and no knowledge in our field as he/she was just hired so she can have a paying job?
Answer your own question. What can you do? Probably nothing.

In fact, what business is it of yours whether he/she has a degree or knowledge? The management hired this person. It's their business, not yours.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:

I always have to re-do his/her projects and stop my work to teach this person how to do their job. I don't get paid for training btw. He/she has been here for 2 years and should know how to do things.
there is something called on the job training and its legal, and instead of doing this person work why don't you train them or show them how it is done properly. if this person don't know the field then somebody have to train him. sure you are not paid to train him but training goes on on every job and everybody has to get this person up to speed. we have a new guy on my job and everybody have to get him train on what to do, he worked with somebody else last week and will be working with me this week. just try to make the best of the situation for now.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:07 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,726,660 times
its not just your co worker, these types are all over the place, i held the same position of others that didnt have degrees, but they were hard workers. if you arent given the chance to out perform them or manage them, then life will get boring around year 2 and it will be obvious that it is time to leave. my first professional job was like this, i was finishing my masters and working at the same time, my boss knew this and promised to give me more responsibility and larger projects then the rest, it never happened, after 9 months of waiting i bailed...and im glad i did as im now into my 3rd professional job and im given way more responsibility.

you shouldnt start any fuss over your colleague, just do what youre asked, get your experience under your belt and bounce if you arent moving up the ladder. good luck

Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
This is my career, and he/she is actually making the company look horrible by putting out bad design/photoshop work that I have to re-do.

I've tried politely correcting this person and tried to give him/her tips on how to do photoshop but he/she doesn't listen. Then I'm later asked by my boss to re-do his/her work.

if it really bothers you that much then you and this person need to have a meeting with the manager and talk about the situation. not sure if this will change anything since the person is related to the owner and i'm sure the manager knows that to. get all the experience you can from this place and use it on your resume and update your portfolio of your work and be ready to start looking. best of luck

Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,617,417 times
Quote:

What part of "related to the owner" do you not understand?

Either deal with it or move on.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
Quote:

If this person is a close relative of the owner and all the managers like him/her i cant see it as being in your best interest to go tell the owner that his relative is incompetent.
As an example if i own a company and i hire my daughter to work there what do you think will be the result/consequence of an employee approaching me to tell me my daughter is basically useless on the job?
I'd say you can either help my daughter accomplish her tasks or you can find a new job..
Let us know how you ultimately resolve the issue.
Good luck

Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,121,086 times
Quote:

Does the boss know that the work is John/Janet's work or do they think that it is your work?
If they know that it is J's work then they already know the poor quality and choose not to do anything about it (except have you fix it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment