Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:24 PM

533 posts, read 1,108,210 times

Advertisements

I don't want to preach, but it just seems like bad karma to go out of your way to get someone else fired in this type of economy. Just keep doing your own thing, and if your coworker sucks as much as you say they do, they'll eventually screw themselves over and get themself fired without your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 PM

12,931 posts, read 9,540,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
I don't want to preach, but it just seems like bad karma to go out of your way to get someone else fired in this type of economy. Just keep doing your own thing, and if your coworker sucks as much as you say they do, they'll eventually screw themselves over and get themself fired without your help.
good point

Old 11-10-2013, 07:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morecoffeelesssleep View Post
So you're saying there is nothing I can do even if my coworker has no degree, and no knowledge in our field as he/she was just hired so she can have a paying job?

I always have to re-do his/her projects and stop my work to teach this person how to do their job. I don't get paid for training btw. He/she has been here for 2 years and should know how to do things.
I wasn't going to jump in this thread as I'm on the second page and have read nothing but GREAT advice, commentary, and opinions. I can only believe that you are indeed young and very inexperienced in the ways of the working world not to have picked up immediately on the theme of the responses.

He/she was not just hired so as to have a paying job, he/she was hired because he/she is related to the owner, the "have a paying job" goes with the territory, however, at the risk of repeating myself he/she is related to the owner.

Of course all the managers like him/her...they "get it".

If you don't have the stamina and talent to keep doing what you're doing and continue gaining all the experience and exposure it seems you're getting, find another position. On the way out I would certainly advise you to thank everyone you have had the good fortune to have worked with, all the great opportunities which have been presented to you, etc., etc., but keep your observations concerning he/she to yourself as you leave.

Good luck to you, sincerely.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:33 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,245,410 times
I think if this person is a nice and good person and has the ability to learn, you should have your owner relative get them the proper training. I assume you got this job because you're related to the owner, so you probably have no idea how hard it is to find a job in this economy. It's so hard it's scary, and if this person is on the older side it's even harder. Purposely trying to find a reason to get this person fired makes you look like a complete ******* and it's embarrassing people are so low like that. There's better ways to approach this situation.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,635,793 times
If the boss is asking you to redo the projects, than the boss is fully aware.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:30 PM

30,133 posts, read 23,508,546 times
Quote:
EDIT: So maybe firing is a bit extreme, so now I'm wondering what I can do to better my situation...

Sooo... one of the "graphic designers" returned from his/her [ don't want to say gender ] extended vacation.
Don't get me wrong, I honestly like him/her and think he/she is a great person and I always enjoy our conversations, though he/she really is horrible at graphic design. I can vouch the only reason why he/she has his/her job is because he/she is related to the owner.

I'll try to keep the description on their work habits short as a lot of viewers of my thread are not graphic designers and probably won't understand. I'll just say that basically this coworker of mine who I'm forced to partner and split the workload with is terrible.
I'm also pretty embarrassed because I've met famous models, gave them my contact info, promising them amazing work on their photos.

I was told this person is some what of just a "helper" until I pull through with re-shooting models and getting them edited and he/she won't be coming in every day after we get some work done in bulk.

I fear that my managers will just have me re-do everything he/she did and it really is a pain.
I feel scared to say anything as I'm young and without experience. I really love my job as I see there is lots of room for me to grow as this company is new and has recently expanded out of state.
I feel that I'm in a tight position as my partner is a close family member of the owner and is liked by all the managers.
Two things I've learned, and not necessarily because I did them, but because others have done them and I've witnessed the results:

1) The squeaky wheel gets the oil......right out of the door.

2) You're not the manager, do not screw with someone's livelihood. Their time will come. Suck it up and deal with it. If you do not understand why, see rule #1.

Quote:
So you're saying there is nothing I can do even if my coworker has no degree, and no knowledge in our field as he/she was just hired so she can have a paying job?
Are you the one that hired him/her? If not, see rule #1. You go in with that attitude, questioning the person who hired him/her, you are guaranteed a pretty little pink slip. The last thing you do is question why the company hires people. They will start questioning why they hired you. LET. IT. GO.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 PM

12,931 posts, read 9,540,617 times
you have received some really good information from everybody who posted a reply, I hope you got the message as it's pretty overwhelming what everybody thinks would be the right way to deal your situation.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 AM

981 posts, read 2,697,356 times
Quote:
I don't get paid for training btw.
Actually.. you are paid to do whatever your bosses ask you to do. Even jobs with defined responsibilities usually have a line at the end of the list "Any other duties assigned by manager" type of catch all.

If you are having trouble getting all your assigned tasks in your work week completed because of these additional training or rework of this coworker then have a conversation with your manager about your workload without casting negative tones on that portion of the work.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
If you embark on a path to "get my coworker fired", someone will be fired. You.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:59 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,745,762 times
Don't get involved. Worry about your own skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment