U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:06 AM

191 posts, read 282,263 times

Advertisements

Due to a personal situation, I need to give notice after only 3 months at a large company. I know people do this all the time but I'm an old-timer and have never left a company without at least working there a couple of years.

I am dealing with huge guilt knowing that my boss, who I really like, will have to go through the hiring process again. However, the job was open for over 6 months before I even applied.

Should I give 2 weeks notice or longer? Does it make any difference?

Arggh I hate this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,513,221 times
It's really up to you. The good thing is that they should still have some candidates from the last time the filled the job.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 AM

6,269 posts, read 18,886,732 times
2 weeks is standard protocol.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
Why wouldn't you give two weeks? Explain to your boss that you would love to stay but due to personal circumstances you must leave.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 AM

17,000 posts, read 20,665,159 times
Just give the normal two week notice.

Look at this way, while it is a little awkward, most likely your boss will hire one of the other candidates who are probably still looking for work.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM

370 posts, read 620,303 times
Since it sounds like you have to leave as opposed to wanting to leave, why don't you give them as much time as you can/want? If you want to work 4 more weeks, then give them that or negotiate something with them. They can always release you at any time including immediately when they receive your resignation. Depending on how entrenched you are on your project and the ease of transitioning and absorbing your workload it could go either way. Don't let guilt be the factor; people understand that life happens.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:05 PM

612 posts, read 1,184,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
Due to a personal situation, I need to give notice after only 3 months at a large company. I know people do this all the time but I'm an old-timer and have never left a company without at least working there a couple of years.

I am dealing with huge guilt knowing that my boss, who I really like, will have to go through the hiring process again. However, the job was open for over 6 months before I even applied.

Arggh I hate this!
Just give him as much notice as possible. Explain things to him and he should understand.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,041,157 times
2 weeks is fine. Leave on good terms, with a good explanation and you should be fine.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:22 PM

242 posts, read 180,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
2 weeks is fine. Leave on good terms, with a good explanation and you should be fine.
This here but minus the explanation.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:30 PM

5,020 posts, read 3,209,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post

Arggh I hate this!
Hey, I feel your pain. I have seen a job that I could easily do and it's...$14 an hour TO START...But I have agreed to go with this employer and WILL stay as I am curious as to the pluses/minuses of it.

Maybe I'll hate it, maybe love it.

In your position I WOULD give 2 weeks and apologize for this disruption, but let them know it's the best I can give them...

Or could you say "I have this personal situation and can you forgive me but let me take XX time? then return?"

Could be they already like you and may bend over backward to keep you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or