Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Still be skew'd towards prefering males over females I'd bet
I agree, in fact I'd guess that more females would prefer a male boss than the males would. I often hear women complain about working for a female boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I'm a woman who would be happy to never have to work for a male boss again given the ****-poor excuse for leadership I've seen coming from men in my previous positions. A lot of empty suits and patting each other on the back.

Of the male bosses I appreciate, they always have a working wife. I've noticed working women get treated less well by male supervisors with a stay at home wife.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, in fact I'd guess that more females would prefer a male boss than the males would. I often hear women complain about working for a female boss.
That has been my experience as well. I have been extremely surprised by the number of women who will bluntly state that women often do not work well together.

That said, I have had female bosses and have generally been pleased with them.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
That just means that 77% of Americans prefer a male boss.
As a male boss, I would fire you for your weak grasp of basic statistics.

:-)

Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,403 times
100% of american's currently employed would like a better pay raise each year as well...

Old 11-12-2013, 01:02 PM

419 posts, read 901,815 times
I have had good male bosses and good female bosses. It seems that the last few years have been with some outstanding women leaders.
What I have seen with anecdotal consistency is that most female workers do not like working for women. they prefer men. Some of the reasons I have been given when i asked about it are-
"Men are easier to manipulate."
"I do not have to compete with men."
"Women tend to dislike me because I am prettier."
"She does not like me because my husband is more successful"
and more.
I was suprised by these as I could see no evidence of any of it. Of course I am just a dumb male- quoted from one of the women providing the above reasons.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:13 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,665,923 times
I'm sure these surveys are useful to someone somewhere but I hardly see the point asking such questions in a vacuum. What would be more interesting to me is to survey the people happy with their current bosses and then ask the followup if they would be even happier if their bosses were the opposite gender.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:22 PM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,231 times
I just want someone competent and mostly fair. I worked for a woman who was passive and indirect...she had her "girlfriends" and if you weren't in that group, then you just didn't get that fair of treatment. And I'm a woman. But now, I work for a man. He thinks, as does the CEO who's made it clear, that women aren't as smart as men. The insulting little comments and the disrespect has finally gotten to me. You know, women are only good for a couple of things but we dare not talk bidness with the good ol' boys. Those kind of men talk over you and dismiss most everything you say. It's absolutely infuriating.

Like I said, I don't care what the gender (good qualities for both) but I need you to be logical, competent and fair. Oh, and not afraid of someone asking a question without being offended for some perceived affront. Good grief!!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:08 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,667 times
I don't care what sex they are as long as they don't micromanage...

Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
I've had both and going by harmony in the workplace it was hands down for the male bosses.

The most extreme was a company of about 60 full time with 5% or 3 being male and none were supervisors or management.

They would joke having to keep a few guys around for the heavy lifting or security...

The most blatant thing that occured is when the company had a 3 day training and spa weekend... and the men were not invited... they were told the females would not feel comfortable if males went along plus it might cause problems with spouses.

This was in the early 90's... often wondered how it would go over today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment