Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I did well for myself with just a HS degree because bigger companies would take you on and you could learn on the job and move up. There was always a "wall" of course, a line few crossed without higher education (upper management), but that was easier to get too. I went to college in my 30's and my H got his MBA in his 40's, paid for by his employer. Sometimes someone would reach the upper levels even without a college degree because they knew the business and had a good reputation. Those days are over though, those kinds of companies and jobs don't exist here the way they did.
This. The fact is many thing have changed since the 60s. It has really kicked up in the recent recession where we see companies want employees to work under the title they should be at with a paygrade that is significantly lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Not saying they ever will, but could you imagine if those conditions returned? Employers have had it so easy to get qualified employees, just picking the most perfect ones. They wouldn't know what to do if they actually had to COMPETE for them.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:19 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
But on the other side of the coin is that many companies HAVE to vett their candidates. Hiring a felon with previous rapes on his record is not the employee many companies want to take a chance on.

I worked as a security guard and knew 2 which had served prison time. They lied on their applications and nobody cared to verify their past employment.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:24 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Keep in mind that something like 25% of today's 18-26 year olds have some sort of criminal record.

Yeah, yeah I know some of them are for "harmless" things like possession but the record is still there. Which gives companies one more reason not to hire someone.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
But on the other side of the coin is that many companies HAVE to vett their candidates. Hiring a felon with previous rapes on his record is not the employee many companies want to take a chance on.

I worked as a security guard and knew 2 which had served prison time. They lied on their applications and nobody cared to verify their past employment.
Doesn't surprise me. Back when the economy was healthy, security was about the lowest paid field. Ex-convicts were most of the applicants.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep in mind that something like 25% of today's 18-26 year olds have some sort of criminal record.

Yeah, yeah I know some of them are for "harmless" things like possession but the record is still there. Which gives companies one more reason not to hire someone.
It depends when and how this happened incident happened. Could it be a self-defense crime that they ended up pleaing out despite having a reasonable case (the lawyer went with the sure thing rather than waiting on a conditional)? Also did the person learn and grow from their experience? I mean we typically see more career criminals in America but there are a number that actually do their best to never go back to jail and stay away from situations that could put them back in it.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Not saying they ever will, but could you imagine if those conditions returned? Employers have had it so easy to get qualified employees, just picking the most perfect ones. They wouldn't know what to do if they actually had to COMPETE for them.
Oh it will be interesting when that finally does happen. I imagine that there are a number of hiring managers who were around in the "old days" where you had to entice people to take say Wells Fargo over Chase for employment.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:25 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Yeah. Why bother training americans when you can get a kid to do it for pennies?
Or, instead of whining, said candidate could meet the potential employer halfway by doing some learning on their own. Of course, whining is the path of least resistance so... Here we are today.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:05 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
From The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/bu..._20131201&_r=0

I am not sure about one statement in the article. It says you are limited to one skill with no chance of advancement. That may happen in some factories but the one where I worked in the office moved its workers around so they learned all kinds of skills. That should have enhanced their chances of advancement. Good article and another bit of good news.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:10 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,985 times
Is it true that in the 60s you could get by with a high school degree?

Fast forward 50 years and ask yourself a new question. Is it true that in the 2000s you could get by with a bachelor's degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment