Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 10:29 PM

17 posts, read 11,668 times

Advertisements

I think I have all the reasons I need to leave my current job, but just want to get some opinions.

Hi all.

I've been working my current position for almost two years (two years in January). During that time, my feedback has been positive, and how I bust my butt. Over the last two years, I have taken on more work and tried my best tto do the best job I can.

During my two years, a promotion has come up three times. The first two times, I was written off. The third time, my boss came to me and told me to interview for it. I was excited, and I interviewed.

After about a month of hearing nothing, my boss set up a metting and told me I didn't get it. Okay, well it was really dissapointing, especially since I bust my butt and am doing more work than the other two people in my role (there are two other people in my same position, and I was assigned more of a workload than the both of them).

I find out today that the person who got the promotion was one of the two other people in my same position. He actually started a year later than me, and I trained him when he was onboarding. I had more expereince than him, not just in our current roles but overall.

Am I wrong to be upset about this? It kind of makes me want to accept I have no upward movement there.

What would you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 01:45 AM

801 posts, read 547,221 times
Did you ask your manager why you didn't get it? What was the point of recommending you for the position if someone else was better suited for it?

Old 10-30-2020, 04:30 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
I'd chat with manager. There might be reasons why that you don't see or have. Also, you were written off twice, that didn't seem to upset you. Just take it as an indication that you're still a square peg and the hole is round

Old 10-30-2020, 04:38 AM

410 posts, read 342,974 times
Look for another job, but keep the one that you have until you find something better/different.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:48 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Guy #2 who you trained is either the manager's or some execs drinking buddy or in-law etc.

Quietly move on as soon as possible.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:09 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Like the saying goes, "Don't get too good in a job you don't like". Since you are the best worker in your role than the others, you may be too valuable to move up. Others, who don't produce as well as you may be the better candidates. Management may not feel confident that you would do well in a higher position or just simply like you where you are. It is unfair but management considers what is best for them and not for you.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:35 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I think this same situation comes up here on CD often, people think they are better, more valuable workers than they really are. I'm sure I'm guilty of that too so I'm not casting stones here. The reality COULD be that you're not as good of an employee as the one who was promoted. There might be reasons behind it that you aren't aware of.

I will say this.....if you like the job, your co-workers, the firm......quitting in a hissy fit doesn't really present the measured, thoughtful solution and that's a pattern that can be hard to break if you quit every job that doesn't 100% go your way.

Talk to your manager, tell him/her your desire to move up and ask for specific metrics for you to attain in order to be promoted.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:33 AM

17 posts, read 11,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Did you ask your manager why you didn't get it? What was the point of recommending you for the position if someone else was better suited for it?
Yes, my confidence is lacking.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:43 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Brush up the resume, start looking.

Should I follow up? Not sure what to do here.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:47 AM

144 posts, read 80,915 times
i would talk to the boss before taking such decisions. If everything goes that bad, look for another work, but talking is always very important, no matter if it's work, parents, or whatever.
Talk, explain your point of view, LISTEN, and only then take decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment