Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Yeah, she's hoping to get into a BSN program.

It's interesting to hear that there isn't a nursing shortage anymore, it seems a lot of people keep pushing that idea (that's the impression I was under).
Because of the mantra of "there's always jobs in healthcare". If she can get into a BSN program, good for her. She might want to consider other options - Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Polysomnography (sleep tech), Medical Technology - all fields where there is need. PT is PhD for most part; OT is headed in that direction. Sleep Tech right now is AAS or add-on certificate to respiratory tech, but it too is on track for BS minimum. Good luck to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 AM

10 posts, read 22,144 times
I just talked to a nurse the other day that was laid off from her job (she's mid 50's) and she said the trend at the place she worked is to get rid of the older crowd and hire younger nurses on a per diem basis because it's cheaper and they don't have to give benefits. Not sure if that's happening all around, but that's what she experienced there.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
At 60, I am one of the few RNs left at my job without a BSN (went to a diploma school a long time ago). I worry because I'm expensive and the only new hires are new grads (this is psychiatric). The entry pay is low and most leave under a year for a better job. I live in a "medical mecca" and there are certainly no shortages of RNs. I don't think the big downtown hospitals, which pay much better, hire new grads unless they're pretty special, but then, psychiatric is a whole different environment.
Labor Delivery/Newborn Nursery/etc. have never wanted for staff, even during shortages. I guess a lot of people just want to be involved in this, as someone said, because it's "happy" work. (For me, it would be suicidal. There's a place for all of us!)
A lot of our new grads are finishing an NP and leave to do that. Also, many are not solitary or primary breadwinners, so there is some flexibility. I feel vulnerable being older and relatively expensive, so have taken a slot that no one wants and that actually uses what I'm best at- emergency stuff, floating, flexibility, being charge with little information. Most people can't stand that. Oh, and I work third shift- more security. (THere were layoffs in the 1990s when the place downsized a lot). Turnover seems highest on the dementia unit (for good reasons) and low on the detox. People seem very committed to detox work, plus the manager makes a big difference, too.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohallboyz View Post
I just talked to a nurse the other day that was laid off from her job (she's mid 50's) and she said the trend at the place she worked is to get rid of the older crowd and hire younger nurses on a per diem basis because it's cheaper and they don't have to give benefits. Not sure if that's happening all around, but that's what she experienced there.

Many of the hospitals in my area are union hospitals, so there is protection from that. Though, it partially explains the shift to PAs at many of them.

My mom was a nurse ans still teachers nursing, but she is continually shocked at the pay nurses get now, happily shocked. I have three good friends that are nurses and they earn between 95-110k a year, but of course they've been doing it for 20+ years. I don't know if anyone foresaw that 15 years or so ago.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Many of the hospitals in my area are union hospitals, so there is protection from that. Though, it partially explains the shift to PAs at many of them.

My mom was a nurse ans still teachers nursing, but she is continually shocked at the pay nurses get now, happily shocked. I have three good friends that are nurses and they earn between 95-110k a year, but of course they've been doing it for 20+ years. I don't know if anyone foresaw that 15 years or so ago.
Do you know the pay range for a NP?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Because of the mantra of "there's always jobs in healthcare". If she can get into a BSN program, good for her. She might want to consider other options - Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Polysomnography (sleep tech), Medical Technology - all fields where there is need. PT is PhD for most part; OT is headed in that direction. Sleep Tech right now is AAS or add-on certificate to respiratory tech, but it too is on track for BS minimum. Good luck to her.
Wow, you shout down others responses and failed to recognize that there is no such thing as an associate's for a Respiratory technician nor a certificate add on. There is a separate board examination.

We are Respiratory Therapists....three board exams, and a tough program. Techs clean equipment and don't have contact with patients. A job you can do walking off the street without a license or degree.

Also, anyone can become a sleep tech without an associates....I know techs that got in the door after spending a week in Atlanta and paying a little over three grand.

How to Become a Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT)

Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 PM

202 posts, read 265,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Physical Therapy is not PhD, the degree awarded now is Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT). The DPT is usually a 3 year full-time program post-undergraduate.

For the OP, I think nursing is a great career and still has a good job market. There is more competition in bigger metro areas. You will find a job, but you may not first receive your ideal unit or area of nursing. BSN is starting to be preferred in many major hospitals.

Last edited by Coinnle Corra; 11-14-2013 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Do you know the pay range for a NP?

I don't, but depending on region and speciality, and experience, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an 80k difference between bottom entry level and top senior positions.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:11 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
There's no nursing shortage in many areas. In most areas, saturation. In smaller, more rural areas maybe yes. I think it's hard to find any decent job nowadays, even in health care. A new nurse will have to work med/surg and probably nights.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:13 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
It's true the shortage is gone...that's not to say that jobs are impossible. I have yet to meet a nursing student who didn't want to go into LD/OB work. Everyone wants to play with the babies.

Long story short, if your sis REALLY wants a career in nursing, do it! Start out from the get go with a Bachelors, don't waste time on the 2 yr degrees. She should keep in mind that a job isn't guaranteed and the LD/NICU/women's health specialties are hard to come by. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone go into the field if they think jobs are abundant. It does depend on the locale, too. Some places pay better than others, some have more jobs available. If she's willing to move where the jobs are, even better.

It wouldn't hurt to have a back up plan...with the way healthcare is changing in the US it's hard to predict what could happen. There could be a flood of new patients into the market requiring more healthcare workers or employers could find themselves much less profitable due to the new patients and low reimbursements and thus work with minimum staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment