Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:33 PM

141 posts, read 147,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Sorry champ, no matter how spin it or how much you dwell on it, you were fired. Honestly you found the job on craigslist - you can't expect them to be the epitome of professionalism. They said they no longer need your services and have posted your job. The end.

Just because they say they will train you does not mean they are obligated to employ you for that 30 days if they feel you just aren't a fit for the company. Most jobs will have a 90 day probationary period where they can let you go with no reason required. The fact that the manager gave you a BS reason about it being a slow period means that it probably was just something about you that didn't fit. Just let it go and move on. Maybe go back to legit job boards, too.
She said she would evaluate me along with Mark, and the owner. You think it's fair if you been there 2 weeks that they up and fire you especially when told you would be given at the very least a 30 day trial and that 2 weeks into that trial they would provide feedback on what you need to improve on if anything.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:38 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Was your internship your first job?

I don't understand why you aren't seeing the obvious here. If they don't like you, they aren't going to extend a 30 day trial. If they see potential but have issues, they will bring it up. If they feel it is a lost cause, then they will let you go without that.

This really is basic common sense, I can't help but wonder that even if your work was good, it is clear that you don't understand a basic work environment. I'm not trying to insult you but this is two threads now that the obvious isn't sinking in. That is probably why they just let you go because explanations seem to go over your head.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2455 View Post
She said she would evaluate me along with Mark, and the owner. You think it's fair if you been there 2 weeks that they up and fire you especially when told you would be given at the very least a 30 day trial and that 2 weeks into that trial they would provide feedback on what you need to improve on if anything.
It doesn't have to be fair - that's the point. Really, do you want to work for someone who runs a company like that?

They didn't like you and cut their losses and moved on. No point in keeping you around 2 more weeks if they already knew they didn't want to keep you. I know that sucks to hear, and it's not what you were told when you started, but you got hired via craigslist...what did you expect? Sometimes a person just doesn't fit with the culture of a company - it doesn't matter how polite you are or if you follow the rules. I worked for a small company and since we all worked so closely together the manager really made a effort to make sure new hires really clicked with the group...maybe you just didn't click and the employees were simply being polite to you. I seriously doubt accidentally showing up on the 11th has anything to do it with. Now, showing a sense of humor here would have been a much better play in that situation...

If you really want to turn this into a learning experience, you could email the manager and ask for feedback about your performance or suggestions...but if they give you a good review, drop it. Don't press them for why they let you go.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 PM

217 posts, read 512,678 times
Quote:
After glancing through this thread, I find myself wondering why it is still going on. You were fired, that has been covered. You asked if you were fired, that was answered...you then tell people they did not read your whole post. Um, yes, we did...right down to the end where you ask if you were fired. Yup. Fired. Done and done.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
You need an answer or else you'll drive yourself crazy. Ask them in a detailed letter why they let you go so you can have an opportunity to improve for your next job.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM

141 posts, read 147,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndTiggerToo View Post
After glancing through this thread, I find myself wondering why it is still going on. You were fired, that has been covered. You asked if you were fired, that was answered...you then tell people they did not read your whole post. Um, yes, we did...right down to the end where you ask if you were fired. Yup. Fired. Done and done.
I am asking for reason/angles of why I was fired. If you have nothing to add why are you in the thread. I am not trying to be rude to you, just saying. I also was asking why she told me nothing was wrong, would keep my resume on file, work slowed down etc. But put up the exact job again on Craigslist.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
You need an answer or else you'll drive yourself crazy. Ask them in a detailed letter why they let you go so you can have an opportunity to improve for your next job.

Do not do this.

Move on.

They would never answer this letter anyway, they would be insane to do so. They'd be begging for a lawsuit.

Realize there are, in jobs and love, rarely things like "closure".

Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
One of these two reasons:
1. They really thought they had more work than they did. This happens. I hired to replace someone who was leaving and found there was not much for the new hire to do. The departing person was really good at appearing to be super busy and because she was a good producer, I was none the wiser. If the new hire had been on probation I would have let the new hire go. Nothing against them, it would have been my fault.

2. Even though you were polite and willing to learn, you were not a good fit personality-wise with the current staff. I learned to trust my gut feeling on this when assessing applicants so we wouldn't end up with a situation like yours.

Either way, I doubt you are at fault. I would chalk it up to experience and move on, because you'll never really know for sure what happened.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
We can't tell you why you were fired. It could be any reason. The title of your thread "was I terminated?" Not why was I fired? No reason to jump all over people. Move on.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Quote:
I am asking for reason/angles of why I was fired. If you have nothing to add why are you in the thread. I am not trying to be rude to you, just saying. I also was asking why she told me nothing was wrong, would keep my resume on file, work slowed down etc. But put up the exact job again on Craigslist.
They said it wasn't your work...but they still let you go and posted the job...the only part left of this equation is you. What other angles do you think exist?

She was letting you down easy because she didn't have the balls to tell you the truth. That's why she told you your work was fine and they would call you if it picked up - because it was easier for her to lie than to be honest with you.

If it wasn't your work (you'll just have to take the manager's word for it), and they posted the job so it's not a slow season, then it's you. Just you. Have you every just gotten a weird vibe from someone? Like there wasn't anything in particular that was wrong but you just knew they weren't going to be someone you'd want to hang out with? Or gone on a date where on paper they were great, but there just wasn't a spark? They were nice enough but you didn't really care if they called you? Sometimes it just isn't meant to be. They don't have to have a concrete answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment