Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They could have stated who paid the tab and whether it was during business hours/on the clock.
Seriously? It seems pretty obvious.

"Upper management (CEO, CTO, Director, and Facility Manager) invite 3 Supervisor's to a dinner to discuss roles and company as well as a thank you for their hard work."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:23 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by work_here View Post
so, accepting to go to a dinner with upper management, then just not showing up to it without kindly declining or saying he wont be there, is ok?
i guess if there isn't an interest to move up in the company or give a good impression to the CEO, then this is ok?

Yes, I think its OK. I would say that response would be something i would do too. As an employee, I may not want to socialize with other employees, including management. Unless attendance was required, he had every right to not go for any reason. If your CEO was offended, then i suspect whoever sent the invitations didnt express the need to attend correctly. He may not be interested in "moving up" and I'm sure he knows that not attending could endanger that. hes not looking to be anybodys Bi$#h. However, you would have to consider why you wouldnt promote him if hes good at his job and if his promotion would be the best for the business. Do you not do whats best fro the company because a guy didnt go to dinner and brown nose the leaders? You know hes shy, leave him alone and be thankful hes an otherwise great employee.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Pretty simple conversation, IMO.

Manager: Hey, you realize that was perceived as disrespectful, right?

Supervisor: Sorry, thought it was kind of an optional thing, and __________ insert whatever reasoning here.

Manager: Sure, it may have been optional, but it was effectively career suicide. It's also optional to consider you for future promotions that may involve political skills. You may want to consider some damage control down the line if it's important to you. if not, no big deal. Good? Go out and get back to work, since the only thing saving your skin right now is results.
Supervisor: Ok, well I give you a full 60 hours a week and based on my reviews for the last XX years, i have been a very high performer. My time is my time and this was positioned as an optional event. I'm happy in my job and not interested in moving up. If thats going to be a propblem, I will be happy to take my industry knowledge and strong work ethic elsewhere.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:35 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by work_here View Post
Upper management (CEO, CTO, Director, and Facility Manager) invite 3 Supervisor's to a dinner to discuss roles and company as well as a thank you for their hard work.
Invites in outlook are sent out 3 weeks prior. All are aware.
The night of the dinner, everyone but one supervisor shows up to the restaurant. Everyone sits at the table wondering where the supervisor is. The Facility Manager calls and texts, but no response.
On monday, the Director speaks with the supervisor and the supervisors response is "i was tired and didn't feel like going" .
Although it is known that the supervisor is not very social and is shy, this is just plain rude and disrespectful. The supervisor is GREAT at their job regarding work productivity and knowledge.

wondering how to deal with this situation. The supervisor didn't violate a company policy directly, but this is just rude.

Any input or help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: The supervisor accepted the invite. The supervisor never called or informed anyone he would not be attending. So, everyone was waiting at the table. Then they started trying to contact him.
The person being disrespectful here is the boss. Keep work at work. I hate it when the boss thinks he owns an employee. You go to work so you can get paid to socialize with whomever you please.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Supervisor: Ok, well I give you a full 60 hours a week and based on my reviews for the last XX years, i have been a very high performer. My time is my time and this was positioned as an optional event. I'm happy in my job and not interested in moving up. If thats going to be a propblem, I will be happy to take my industry knowledge and strong work ethic elsewhere.
CEO: Well, that's very unfortunate. We would have liked to have had your input on the upcoming reorganization. Bob thought you might be a good choice to lead the new group, but Mary made a pretty strong sell as to why she should head it. Looks like you'll be working for her now.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The person being disrespectful here is the boss. Keep work at work. I hate it when the boss thinks he owns an employee. You go to work so you can get paid to socialize with whomever you please.

In professional jobs this is not the reality. These people were all in management / supervisory positions. That isn't 9-5 or even 8-6 work. There is before work and after work and weekend communication, some of it social. That is the reality of the world. Heck, I'll be at a bar with my boss this weekend when our colleges play each other. Not my first choice, but she invited me and it is the smart choice.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:03 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Common courtesy would suffice here. He should have called beforehand and let everyone know he wasn't coming. He made himself look bad.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Manager: Exactly. Don't want to move up? No problem - get back out and keep performing at a high level. Like I said
Quote:
You may want to consider some damage control down the line if it's important to you. if not, no big deal. Good? Go out and get back to work, since the only thing saving your skin right now is results.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
The person being disrespectful here is the boss.
Please read the first post again, absorb the very plainly written description of the dinner invitation (which was given and responded to in the affirmative) and then please explain your comment. Just for the heck of it ...

Old 11-20-2013, 08:29 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Don't you also hate it when someone RSVP's for an appreciation dinner, then doesn't show up? And when politely asked about it on Monday, provides some lame excuse about being tired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment