Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:30 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

I recently got a call back from a company I applied to. They are a huge machine manufacturer in the St Louis area, and I absolutely adore their product line. Anyways, they have a program they want me to consider. I would start working full time while taking classes in the evening (paid for by the company). After 3 years, I would have a bachelors degree in industrial science. From there, they would have me work in the area they feel I am best suited, either engineering, production, tool room, automation technology, design, etc. Sounds like it could really open doors in the future.

Only problem is the pay is less than I am used to, although there are gaurenteed raises every 6 months ($1). What really appeals to me is I have a great deal of faith in this company. I would love to work for them, and get a complete overview of their entire operation. When it comes to their competition, I believe they will literally dominate the market. In many areas, they already excel. It's one thing to have a job... It's another thing to work for a company you love!

Anyways, is it worth taking a paycut for such an opportunity? I'm still relatively young, and can afford to take some risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Invert the value of the cost of college into 6,240 hours (3 years * 2,080). Add that to the payrate, than it is a valid comparison.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
If you can afford to take the cut and like bobtn said, consider the money they are spending on you for school, then do it. It sounds like a great opportunity. Remember that your 'salary' is more than just the money an employer puts in your bank account - it's the pay, benefits, ect. If you know you can afford to have less disposable income for 3 years and will come out of this with a degree and a solid career in a field/company you seem to really buy into, you probably also will end up having a higher earning potential in the long run. I really see no downfall here.

I took a fairly significant (10-15%) paycut to move to a new area that I knew would fulfill me personally as well as open new doors professionally - I did the math and knew I could afford it even though it's scary giving up money - it was probably the best decision I've ever made.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 PM

582 posts, read 778,853 times
Also, don't forget to take into consideration the cost of living for an area. St Louis is cheap when compared to many big cities. So a smaller salary in St. Louis may still result in a better standard of living.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Also, don't forget to take into consideration the cost of living for an area. St Louis is cheap when compared to many big cities. So a smaller salary in St. Louis may still result in a better standard of living.
Actually, I've been looking for an excuse to take a large (55ft) boat off a relatives hand. Depending on the location, I could very well decide to live on it Around here, it costs about 8K to rent a dock that could accommodate that size boat.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
How long would it take to get up to where you are now?

So say you are making $22/hr and only getting 3% raises each year, but this job starts at 18/hr with with those $1 raises, that'd mean it'd be 2 years until you get to $22/hr.

BUT they are paying for your education (take that into consideration).

Also, in 3 years will your salary increase? Say it goes up to $30/hr in three years, for example. But at your old job, in three years, you'd be making just over $24/hr.

I obviously don't know what your real numbers are, but if a job is willing to pay for my education I'd take it!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:02 PM

I researched a little more. At the end of the 3 years, I would have my jounreyman card and enough credits to earn a bachelors degree in industrial science. Both can open doors and improve my earning potential. I'm earning that around here, but I'm also living in a more costly metro area.

I think major factor is the opportunity it may afford going forward. Instead of being regulated to one title/position, I could transition towards bigger and better things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I obviously don't know what your real numbers are, but if a job is willing to pay for my education I'd take it!
I tend to believe much of it would be review, at least in the beginning. Of course, to work at the larger companies, everyone wants to see the paper...

Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Actually, I've been looking for an excuse to take a large (55ft) boat off a relatives hand. Depending on the location, I could very well decide to live on it Around here, it costs about 8K to rent a dock that could accommodate that size boat.

Have you ever been down to the St. Louis area? Not sure where you'd dock a 55 footer...I never saw anything but trash barges and the occasional paddle boat on the Mississippi... ;-) But the COL is definitely lower and Soulard and the Riverfront area have some decent nightlife. St. Louis is much quieter than Chicago and I was always struck by how little pedestrian traffic there is.

I think it sounds like a good opportunity and all the more if you get schooling and training out of the gig. Are the classes you'd be taking affiliated directly with a college?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I would take it, no doubt about it.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Go for it. That's quite an offer and opportunity. You'll regret it if you don't. My feeling is, you'll never get as far as this company is going to put you in that length of time without them. In other words, it's going to take you a lot longer to get that far without this company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment