Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,370 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone on here is an Etsy seller? either part time or full time.

I have had a shop since last spring and to date now has resulted in only 2 sales.

The only exposure I seem to get to my shop is through the "google keyword ads" feature that Etsy has. It's a little bit extra but supposedly you get more traffic to your shop than you would otherwise.

I hope this is not another place where its all about popularity, Facebook friends, all that crap. I figure that is a niche site to attract serious buyers who don't have the Wal-Mart mentality... All I see is way too many looky-loos. I would think now is a time that sales start picking up.

Please don't tell me it's all about the down economy. Unless you live under a rock, you know !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Just wondering if anyone on here is an Etsy seller? either part time or full time.

I have had a shop since last spring and to date now has resulted in only 2 sales.

The only exposure I seem to get to my shop is through the "google keyword ads" feature that Etsy has. It's a little bit extra but supposedly you get more traffic to your shop than you would otherwise.

I hope this is not another place where its all about popularity, Facebook friends, all that crap. I figure that is a niche site to attract serious buyers who don't have the Wal-Mart mentality... All I see is way too many looky-loos. I would think now is a time that sales start picking up.

Please don't tell me it's all about the down economy. Unless you live under a rock, you know !!!
Why aren't you using social media to drive traffic to your shop?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
What are you doing to promote your shop? You can't expect people just to buy.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:11 PM

20 posts, read 35,787 times
You definitely need to promote your shop. People aren't going to know you exist unless you make it known that you do. Start a blog, have a twitter and Facebook set up, hand out business cards. An Etsy store is much more than just a local craft fair table. You've definitely got to promote.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
You have to treat Etsy like you would a regular business. You need a marketing plan.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post

You can pay google for like 1 to 5 cent(you can set your own price, you can pay $1 if you want) per each click where people go to your website via google service.

As for google keywords, you have to use the right keywords. If there is no traffic for your pages, that means either nobody is searching google with those keywords or your website is not even in top 5 pages of the google result.

Edit:

the best way to test is to search your keywords in google. If you can't find your website(s) after few days, that means those keywords are no good.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:33 PM

533 posts, read 1,111,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser01 View Post
You definitely need to promote your shop. People aren't going to know you exist unless you make it known that you do. Start a blog, have a twitter and Facebook set up, hand out business cards. An Etsy store is much more than just a local craft fair table. You've definitely got to promote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You have to treat Etsy like you would a regular business. You need a marketing plan.
This.

Not to brag, but I'm an excellent seamstress, and once considered setting up an etsy shop. Once I searched through etsy and realized how many other people are selling similar things, I decided against it because I'd have to do a lot of marketing/promotion.

What do you make/sell?

I know an etsy seller and she has business cards, promotes it on a facebook page, twitter, blogs about it, promotes it on (appropriate) forums, and goes to craft/art shows. Also what she sells is pretty unique, she uses wood from the Missouri Ozarks and from trees in the bayous along the Mississippi river to sculpt pretty and natural looking serving platters/bowls, small furniture, jewelry boxes, and some other things.

Unlike many other crafts sold on etsy, she doesn't have to pay for many materials (the natural wood is free), and her carving tools were pretty much a one time expense, other than sand paper and natural stains.

Edit: another thing she does, is she'll make items similar to things sold on popular websites like Pottery Barn and Anthropologie but advertise and sell the items at a lower cost. For example in the past she has sold wooden napkin rings that look similar to these but sold them for $20 instead of $28.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:08 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,370 times
I have a facebook page and a Twitter page as well. I tweet about everything I put up for sale. Im about out of ideas...

Old 11-20-2013, 06:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,232,887 times
Have you been able to sell anywhere? Have you sold locally at weekend markets or yard sales? What did you do before Etsy? I dont know what you sell, but you have to sell something people want, or need, and it has to be priced right.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:30 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,925,282 times
What do you sell? How is it special, different (from competition) and desirable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment