Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 PM

212 posts, read 999,855 times

Advertisements

I started a new job almost two months ago. I have some experience in what I am doing now, but in a slightly different field. There are some things I have picked up with ease but then there are other items I struggle with. Not only am I learning new software, I’m also learning a new process and working with data sets I’m not accustomed to. Unfortunately, I can get a bit scatterbrained when I have a lot to process at once. Doesn’t help that I am trying to impress others and remember names of the several dozen people I work with!

Anyway, I feel like I am messing up quite a bit. Sometimes I do something really stupid, like overlook specific instructions. I’ll pull a report together and then forget I did it a week later and ask my manager how to compile that report. I feel like an idiot, but I’m working hard and writing down all my mistakes so I don’t do them again. My manager is also leaving the company and I feel disappointed that I’m not going to “redeem” myself before she goes. She’ll leave thinking I’m a moron!

Anyway, how long does it take for you to settle in at a new job?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 03:16 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,437,197 times
Depends on the field of work. I started a new one recently and my training period was 3 months. That's the time I was assigned to be training. I can definitely work independently now and have a lot of confidence, but there are things that just take years of knowledge to know/do offhand so I still ask plenty of questions. My job requires a BS and a specialized certificate if that gives you any kind of comparison/idea.

I'd expect something like retail would have a much faster 'settle in' time. It also depends on how much previous experience you have to pull from as well. Someone with 20 years in the field might feel comfortable much faster than someone right out of school.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,632,023 times
It definitely depends on the job. If it is a new direction, I would say six months to feel. Rey comfortable.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:49 PM

5,496 posts, read 6,411,595 times
I have found once I get the "flow" of how all duties affect others, then I am pretty "good to go" for unexpected issues that come up. I have performed duties repetitiously as taught, then the "light comes on" and I understand why this is being done this way.

I would say three to six months should cover the time needed for one to perform their duties competently. JMO, though.

I worked at a bank in customer service for 10 years. No matter how many issues come up and you think you have heard, seen, handled them all, a new one always occurs.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:59 PM

29,628 posts, read 24,639,800 times
This is different for every line of work, and really, every company. Some companies devote time to allow new workers to become acquainted with the way things operate in their setting. Sometimes, they'll pair new hires with folks who have been their for awhile. Smart business owners don't want new hires wondering around for 45 minutes looking for something that is readily available and within reach. Time is money.

Outside of this, procedures can be different. Documentation for example... Many companies use unique formats, where others might document things in a more standardized format. Some companies are run very efficiently, and much of that has to do with the way things operate, how organized everything is, etc. Other companies just don't give a crap, and these places can take significantly longer to become efficient in.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,887,733 times
I try to not judge any place until I have 6 months under my belt. By then I feel like I know the processes and much more importantly, know who to ask when I still have lingering questions. It takes 6 months just to make those connections.

My one exception was a place where I knew it wasn't a good cultural fit after about 2 months. Spent the next year trying to get out of that place!

Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,968,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
My manager is also leaving the company and I feel disappointed that I’m not going to “redeem” myself before she goes. She’ll leave thinking I’m a moron!
I would look at the bright side. You have an opportunity with a new manager to not make those same mistakes.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:52 PM

217 posts, read 511,414 times
I tell people it takes a year as even when you have everything handled with the software, etc...you still get to go through the ups and downs of seasons. All businesses have busy and slow times. You get to know the bosses when they are busy and when things are slow...but to really get to know a job and its in and outs, you need to be there for a full year.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
depending on the complexity of the job. it takes me several months. but when do i start trying like yesterday.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:43 AM

7 posts, read 73,883 times
I think the best way is that you should find something you really love about the job, to get curious of how things work, to think how you can do better and how you can balance things, or love the job itself.

And in a short time you will get used to everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment