Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

If someone called me a job hopper, I probably wouldn't argue. At least in my case, I did it to expand my scope of knowledge and gain a well rounded level of experience. Every place does things differently, and you'll never learn everything working in one place all your life. I've also job hopped to boast my skillset and pay. I can't believe how little some of these entry level jobs are paying these days! Worse yet, many of the folks who take these jobs stay in that same low position (and pay) for years. Companies just love folks who will take an entry level job and stay happy with it for extended periods of time.

I was working at a place that had rows of unskilled laborers doing menial, low paying work. One guy on the line had been there for close to a year. He was hungry for a better position, but the company kept telling the guy to stick with it and a position would surely open up. I chatted with the guy a bit, after he asked my advice. I told him they were simply dangling a carrot in front of him. If a better position opened up, they would hire somebody, not train him. I told him to use his experience, since the time spent working at least shows he's dependable. In two days, he had a job lined up and he promptly put in his notice. I believe this is happening in many different lines of work. Best thing to do is to use your current position as a launching pad, and never rely on an employer to steer your career.

Anyone else find that job hopping is a good strategy to give your career a boast? At what point do the folks doing the hiring raise eyebrows at this sort of thing?

Best advice I was ever given... If you're working somewhere and you've gone a week without learning something new, it's time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Yes it's now the norm. Unfortunately there are many older employees who cannot afford to retire and they are holding up the talent pipeline. An employer is not naive. If they really wanted to promote the guy, they would do it sooner and not later. But sometimes, there are just too many bad managers who try to stretch their employees' expectations to the limit.

If you work for a multinational company, you can probably ask for a promotion reassignment to another country.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
My job has much turnover, And speaking to new hires as I was promoted to train them in the summer it seems to be the norm. They are all in their mid twenties at the oldest and have been though several jobs previous to this one and seemed surprised at my 9 year tenure at this job.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Yes it's now the norm. Unfortunately there are many older employees who cannot afford to retire and they are holding up the talent pipeline. An employer is not naive. If they really wanted to promote the guy, they would do it sooner and not later.

If you work for a multinational company, you can probably ask for a promotion reassignment to another country.
I can see this being very true in the professional realm. There's a ton of people who just don't have the money to retire. Pensions are a thing of the past, and many sold at the bottom during the financial crash. Aside from this, people are very uncertain of the future. I think many are scared of what's around the corner, and for that reason, they are working beyond traditional retirement years... At least the ones who can find jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
My job has much turnover, And speaking to new hires as I was promoted to train them in the summer it seems to be the norm. They are all in their mid twenties at the oldest and have been though several jobs previous to this one and seemed surprised at my 9 year tenure at this job.
What is you're field exactly?

Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I can see this being very true in the professional realm. There's a ton of people who just don't have the money to retire. Pensions are a thing of the past, and many sold at the bottom during the financial crash. Aside from this, people are very uncertain of the future. I think many are scared of what's around the corner, and for that reason, they are working beyond traditional retirement years... At least the ones who can find jobs.

What is you're field exactly?
Hotel concierge, I train others to do this job and staff the travel/transportation desk.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 PM

143 posts, read 246,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If someone called me a job hopper, I probably wouldn't argue. At least in my case, I did it to expand my scope of knowledge and gain a well rounded level of experience. Every place does things differently, and you'll never learn everything working in one place all your life. I've also job hopped to boast my skillset and pay. I can't believe how little some of these entry level jobs are paying these days! Worse yet, many of the folks who take these jobs stay in that same low position (and pay) for years. Companies just love folks who will take an entry level job and stay happy with it for extended periods of time.

I was working at a place that had rows of unskilled laborers doing menial, low paying work. One guy on the line had been there for close to a year. He was hungry for a better position, but the company kept telling the guy to stick with it and a position would surely open up. I chatted with the guy a bit, after he asked my advice. I told him they were simply dangling a carrot in front of him. If a better position opened up, they would hire somebody, not train him. I told him to use his experience, since the time spent working at least shows he's dependable. In two days, he had a job lined up and he promptly put in his notice. I believe this is happening in many different lines of work. Best thing to do is to use your current position as a launching pad, and never rely on an employer to steer your career.

Anyone else find that job hopping is a good strategy to give your career a boast? At what point do the folks doing the hiring raise eyebrows at this sort of thing?

Best advice I was ever given... If you're working somewhere and you've gone a week without learning something new, it's time to move on.
It's definitely the norm nowadays, especially among the 20's and early 30's crowd. I believe I read the average length of time a 20-something remains at a job is 18 months.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
In my field (technology), it's common to job hop. Technology changes to quickly so you want to keep moving with it. Employers are not as quick to adapt so your best bet is often to go to another company. It also helps in larger salary increases.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisorthat View Post
It's definitely the norm nowadays, especially among the 20's and early 30's crowd. I believe I read the average length of time a 20-something remains at a job is 18 months.
At age 26, my running average is about 22 months... Not counting part time jobs or anything. I've had 5 jobs (all left on good terms) in a decade. I guess part of my issue was, and still is, I'm never sure what I want to be when I grow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In my field (technology), it's common to job hop. Technology changes to quickly so you want to keep moving with it. Employers are not as quick to adapt so your best bet is often to go to another company. It also helps in larger salary increases.
That's very true in my field. You want to be utilizing the latest software, and hopefully the latest technology. The trick is though, you don't want to work for a place where the owner is so deep in debt (financing this fancy technology) that he can't afford to pay you a decent wage. In that case, you could make more working for someone who's 20 years behind, but doesn't owe anyone a dime.

Some days, I'm working on stuff that's older than I am, but it was bought and paid for in cash. In that case, the owner knows what he can charge for the job to make a profit and still pay you a decent dollar. I've interviewed at places where everything looks brand new, and the place looks ultra modern... Except the wage would have been attractive 20 years ago, but not today. In a year or so, that stuff will be sold on the auction block after liquidation for pennies on the dollar.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:34 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Honestly so many employers treat their science staff so badly that now that I found a great company to work for that I feel the best thing for myself is to cling to my job for dear life, work my rear off, and prepare for a major career change if anything happens to my job. Sometimes job security needs to be a #1 concern.

After all I had another call from a recruiter today trying to sell me a 35% pay cut and total loss of benefits. Uh no thanks.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
It is common in virtually every private sector profession/career to job hop. However, one should not hop around from company to company very often. Once you lock into a position I would say a good minimum would be 3 years. You do not want future employers to think you would just hop right out of their job offer less than 3 years after hire; it does not look good on ones resume to do this.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment