Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

In many industries, especially mine (marketing and advertising), there's no such thing as an 8 hour day for salaried employees. Our salaries are usually lower than our freelance hourly rate too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 09:34 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Unfortunately this thread is off topic for the Connecticut forum so I am moving it to the Work and Employment forum. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-23-2013, 10:49 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfromMA View Post
When I was asked to come in on the weekend to cover a shift last minute, I said yes. When I was asked to come in three hours early to attend a meeting, I showed up. When I was told our operational hours would be changing, I said I would plan to remain the extra hour each night.

My approach, so far, was to wait until my probationary period was over, and then address it, showing I'm a team player, etc.

I've already enacted changes at the organization to assist in running smoother, etc.

However, I am not going to remain in a position where my subordinates are going to wind up earning more than I do. If they won't budge, it's their loss.
Good approach until the last line, but that's just my opinion. Don't focus on comparatives to other employees - only your own.

Ask for a post-probation review, should nicely coincide with an end of year review as well. Call it a 2014 strategy session.

Your calculations show you're investing a significantly larger amount of time and you're seeking compensation for that additional investment. Will you get the full 8K? Probably not, but I'd baseline on 6, assuming that's not greater than 15%.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
That's what happens when you take salary. I had a salary position once, and I was working 12 hour days and it was expected.

I would wait till the month is up (and are officially told you are off probation) before bringing up anything about pay.

I'd also start looking TBH.

Though right now I'm an employee who makes less than temps, BUT I also have benefits, retirement, employee stock, and so on.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
You are stuck. If you complain about the hours/ comp/ workload (however you want to frame it) right after your probation is over, you will come off as a complainer. If you change jobs so soon, you will look like a job hopper. Take the one hour lunch and read a book. Tell someone who reports to you to cover while you take lunch.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:57 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You are stuck. If you complain about the hours/ comp/ workload (however you want to frame it) right after your probation is over, you will come off as a complainer. If you change jobs so soon, you will look like a job hopper. Take the one hour lunch and read a book. Tell someone who reports to you to cover while you take lunch.
I agree with this. I would also consider whether I had the means to get something better or whether I was really looking for a dream job/scenario that likely didn't exist.

But, even if it turns out this job was a mistake, and/or they changed the deal on you after the fact, don't turn a level 2 mistake (taking the job) into a level 8 mistake (bailing too soon.) That will have implications far down the line on your resume and every other job you want to apply for going forward. I was in a situation similar to yours about 10 years ago. It was not only long hours, but a bad commute too. And yet, if you bail too soon, that looks REALLY bad in most fields--and often dissuades people from hiring you further down the line. I stuck it out for 2 years and then found something else.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 AM

440 posts, read 867,216 times
Just curious are you getting benefits as well like health care/paid vacation/optional 401k etc any other benefits....when you calculate hourly rates you also have to take into account any benefits you get offered that often hourly employees don't get.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:11 AM

384 posts, read 596,120 times
Just because you are afraid to stand up for yourself doesn't mean others are like that.

Some people still believe in principals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You should probably just be glad to have a job.

One more hour a day won't kill you. It's not like they're cutting your salary. If you could live on what you were making with less hours, you can still live on that money.

If they pull another stunt, it might be time to question them. But with such a short time under your belt, suck it up and be thankful.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:35 AM

293 posts, read 782,284 times
You guys know you don't have to list every job on your resume, right? Why would you stay in a job for two years just for the resume boost if it sucks, that's ludicrous! Get something else and don't even list your short time on that job, you were unemployed and looking for work.

Also, I am not receiving any benefits.

I talked to some of my buddies last night and mentioned the situation. They stated since I was told in the interview, before I was hired, that the position was salary, I can't complain about that aspect now (since I knew before I accepted that it had changed)

They said instead of bringing up the "true hourly rate" I'm earning with my boss (which they feel would make me look like a petty whiner) I should shine light on my accomplishments through the probationary period, and discuss what can be done to bring my pay more in line with those accomplishments.

I also feel I should discuss how my boss sees the future of my job, how it will expand, how the compensation will be based/adjusted/reviewed as we move forward.

So I'll wait for the probationary period to end and see how things play out, but will keep my eyes out as well.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 AM

154 posts, read 624,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You should probably just be glad to have a job...suck it up and be thankful.
That is exactly the reasoning behind so many companies taking advantage of employees nowadays. At what point do you draw the line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment