Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the rate of change aka turnover in private is 7 times that of government. government is heavy union.
do we need to even discuss this from the viewpoint of stability? what good does it do to make $50 an hour if u get laid off every 6 months?
Of course the turnover rate is more in the private sector; the gov does not have retail and fast food workers. Take those out, the turnover rates are much closer to being equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,841,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Some will absolutely lose their minds dealing with the bureaucracy of a government agency.
This. I worked for the State of Texas for several months and the amount of nonsense you had to put up with was unreal. There were very rigid policies and procedures for everything imaginable, and it made the job take three times longer than it needed to. You had to write all sorts of reports, you had to document everything exactly a certain way, and your work was nitpicked. The boss was more concerned with the minutia than the overall picture. If you hate being micromanaged, you will not like working a government job at all.

Also, most of my co-workers had an "I don't give a crap" attitude. There was rampant laziness and incompetence with no real consequences. Overall, it was a very stagnant environment with no reward for effort.

As far as pensions go, if you invest money in index funds/ETFs religiously starting in your 20s, you should be able to retire in your 50s. Pensions have their funds invested somewhere. What makes their ability to invest any better than yours? Personally, I'd take the larger paycheck in the private sector and invest the difference myself. I bet I could do a much better job of investing my money than a government-run pension fund. Also, what if you get close to retirement age and the pension goes **** up and benefits are slashed? They were talking about making all sorts of scary changes to the pension system in Texas around the time I left, and our state's pension was one of the healthier ones.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:19 PM

23,507 posts, read 23,980,674 times
I have only worked in high technology companies (private) where you are promoted and rewarded based on performance and can be terminated based on lack of performance. You really must show initiative and have good performance. I don't think government jobs are like that.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Of course the turnover rate is more in the private sector; the gov does not have retail and fast food workers. Take those out, the turnover rates are much closer to being equal.
That is true. If you enjoy changing jobs often, civil service is not for you.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,463 times
Just because it's the government doesn't mean it's good or better than the private sector. So just do your research on the computer/orgranization.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,859 times
Raises every SIX months and a job you basically can't get fired from? LoL!! And you wonder why government workers are so useless, inefficient, and ineffective.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,841,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Raises every SIX months and a job you basically can't get fired from?
Raises every six months? That wasn't my experience. As far as it being impossible to get fired, that depends on the agency and whether the workers are protected by a union.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Raises every SIX months and a job you basically can't get fired from? LoL!! And you wonder why government workers are so useless, inefficient, and ineffective.
Where you get there are raises every six months, and cannot get fired?

You obviously know nothing about gov employment.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:47 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So, I've been comparing jobs and opportunities lately. I found an interesting government job working for the navy. Basically, I'd be in a ship yard all day making replacement items for the Navy. The pay kinda sucks... $15/hr, raises every 6 months and required training to earn certs. I think they start at $20-something after completion. But you also get a pension, decent bennies, retire at 55 (56 in my case) etc. Several of my friends work for the government and they seem to like it. They didn't start at much more and they have college degrees, so I guess you gotta start on the bottom.

Oh, and this is in Virginia. Money goes much further out there, so I guess it ain't that bad. Is it worth it to work for the government? Private sector today is a real slave driver. If you're making good money, they really find out how far they can push you... And then push just a little bit harder

I also love the fact how these government worker defenders don't deny being useless, ineffective, and inefficient. Only that they do not receive raises every six months, lol! This is why the US is over $16,000,000,000,000 in debt and counting!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:07 PM

29,792 posts, read 24,876,501 times
Quote:

I also love the fact how these government worker defenders don't deny being useless, ineffective, and inefficient. Only that they do not receive raises every six months, lol! This is why the US is over $16,000,000,000,000 in debt and counting!
I really wasn't intending to discuss the issues plaguing this country, or the work ethic exhibited by the average government worker. That's another matter entirely. I do wonder though... What exactly is your beef with people getting raises every 6 months? That was extremely common up until about 5 years ago. The plight of the working class is pretty real these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment