Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times

Advertisements

I find it absolutely ridiculous employers use this statement. I'm a stay at home mom and was looking for a little extra cash on the side. I live in south Florida so it's season right now. I applied before season started at probably 20+ places just for part time half didn't call back or just said or was taken and the other half said I need to be available full time if applying for part time. If I was available full time I'd apply for full time . I have a culinary degree which is very helpful in a place riddled with hotels, country clubs etc but they all said the same thing. I guess there's no such thing as a "mommy job" anymore. ( I even applied at places like Joann's and Whole foods just for anything to get me out of the house for a couple hours and $)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
From my experience in retail (which is going back several years) they want even part-time folks to be available full time this time of year because it's so busy with the holidays. After the holidays business will slow drastically and they'll cut everyone's hours back, big time. You might have better luck after the holidays getting a part time job.

Good luck to you; trying to find a job is brutal!

Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times
I worked at Kohl's during college and they were always so flexible with scheduling. As long as you can work on the weekends they'd probably hire you. Well, idk if it was just the store I was at that was flexible or if they all are. But once I was hired I could adjust my schedule all the time to fit the demands of my classes. Some semesters I only worked 12 hours a week (an 8 hour and a 4 hour shift).

I think a lot of places like you to be available full time because I know when they were training me at Kohl's the first two weeks were almost 40 hours.

The only thing is, is that Kohl's is probably done hiring for the holiday season right now. But they will NEED people for black friday (they tell associates that they're allowed to bring a family member or friend to work in a pair with them on black friday and the family member gets paid time and a half also). If you're interested at all in Kohl's, I would go to the store and ask to speak with a manager (don't do this on a weekend though!!! Try to go on a weekday during slower hours so they'll be able to focus more on you) and just tell them you're looking for some part time work and you're willing to work on Black Friday. They might be able to help you out.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I'm guessing that what they mean by being "available full time" is that they're looking for some flexibility from a part timer in case of scheduling upsets (someone calling in sick at the last minute, etc.). You may have a set schedule to accommodate the hours you're available but they need to know that you can be flexible if necessary. That doesn't help you at all but thought I'd throw it out there as it's particularly true in the restaurant/food business ...

Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm guessing that what they mean by being "available full time" is that they're looking for some flexibility from a part timer in case of scheduling upsets (someone calling in sick at the last minute, etc.). You may have a set schedule to accommodate the hours you're available but they need to know that you can be flexible if necessary. That doesn't help you at all but thought I'd throw it out there as it's particularly true in the restaurant/food business ...
My husband is a 911 dispatcher on 14 hour shifts, nights. I can't be flexible at all he sleeps most of the day and works at night. My only option is the 3 days he doesn't work . .. I won't put my daughter back in daycare, she was at one point and 7 months in I picked her up with a dislocated arm from being yanked when she wouldn't stand (she was 2 at the time). I was never called or told and realized the second I put her in the car something was wrong. For all I know she went 8 hours with her arm dislocated.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I can't be flexible at all ...
As I said, my response was unlikely to be of help to you.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
If you are that limited, then don't apply for jobs where they might need you at times you know you can't work.

For example, you KNOW retail hours include all day, nights and weekends, so if you do not want to work then, don't even consider it.

Back in the day as a SAHM, I got a "mom job" answering phones in a small office. I knew I wanted a job that would be invisible to my kids. My only possible hours would be 9-2 so I could put my youngest on the school bus, head to work, then be home before his bus got home.

I found one on CareerBuilder. The boss wanted me 8-1, so I just asked him to shift the hours to 9-2.

Don't apply for jobs that want you all hours of the day and night. Stick with what you know will work for you.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times
What about babysitting? Do you have any mom friends that have a kid? You could charge them a rate less than what daycare would be?

OR working/volunteering at school or preschool. Now that I think about it, I know a girl who volunteered with various preschools and she eventually got a job at one. Volunteering doesn't pay but it may help you get a foot in the door. When my mom was staying at home after a few of my younger sisters were born, she started volunteering at the elementary school a couple times a week (once they were old enough to be in school).

Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I find it absolutely ridiculous employers use this statement. I'm a stay at home mom and was looking for a little extra cash on the side. I live in south Florida so it's season right now. I applied before season started at probably 20+ places just for part time half didn't call back or just said or was taken and the other half said I need to be available full time if applying for part time. If I was available full time I'd apply for full time . I have a culinary degree which is very helpful in a place riddled with hotels, country clubs etc but they all said the same thing. I guess there's no such thing as a "mommy job" anymore. ( I even applied at places like Joann's and Whole foods just for anything to get me out of the house for a couple hours and $)
what about applying with your local parks and recreation department to do an after school program for kids, maybe?

I know some SAHMs who have been successful at MLM-marketing sales with scentsy/beachbody programs/pure romance/avon/mary kay, etc.... you just have to have the right personality for it, i guess.

If you're a photographer, why not start a small photography business??

Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
What about babysitting? Do you have any mom friends that have a kid? You could charge them a rate less than what daycare would be?

OR working/volunteering at school or preschool. Now that I think about it, I know a girl who volunteered with various preschools and she eventually got a job at one. Volunteering doesn't pay but it may help you get a foot in the door. When my mom was staying at home after a few of my younger sisters were born, she started volunteering at the elementary school a couple times a week (once they were old enough to be in school).
I currently watch my niece 5 days a week but only for $150 a week , my sister doesn't make a lot. I just need something that's "me time" lol. Plus the extra cash doesn't hurt. Volunteering is a good idea also I'll see what's around. Thanks for the ideas u guys! So frustrating lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment