Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:54 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,220,695 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know violent crime is not a symptom. My child has ASD and I spend hours weekly with psychologists/therapists about the issue.

My point is that having ASD does not exclude a person from violent behaviour. Just as there are regular people who commit violent acts, there are ASD people who do the same. Most don't. But some do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 05:47 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,404,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A parent worrying about their son committing mass murder because he has ASD, especially when he has no history of violence is just wrong.[/url]
When a person tells me if they had a gun, they'd blow my head off, I most certainly will think that person could possibly commit a horrible act. I won't even go into the other threats he made because they were even worse. But hey, if you can laugh off such things, then good for you. As for me, I'd never take them lightly.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:48 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Yes, I know violent crime is not a symptom. My child has ASD and I spend hours weekly with psychologists/therapists about the issue.

My point is that having ASD does not exclude a person from violent behaviour. Just as there are regular people who commit violent acts, there are ASD people who do the same. Most don't. But some do.
Exactly.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,999,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Lighten up. Your comments in this thread border on cruel.
OK, but I think a parent worrying that a son who has no history of violence, is going to suddenly go on a killing spree is bordering on cruel. How would you like to grow up with your parents thinking of you as a mass-murderer?

As I said, as someone who is autistic, I'm personally offended by anyone who attempts to link ASD with violent crimes, based on no facts whats so ever.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:39 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,761,374 times
This thread is swerving off-track fast. Now back to topic at hand. For someone with Aspergers, I tend to think of some job that is computer-related as already mentioned. Some computer jobs require a lot of interaction with other people, so it really just depends. Ideas for jobs in working relative solitude probably are good choices as well.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,212,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
When a person tells me if they had a gun, they'd blow my head off, I most certainly will think that person could possibly commit a horrible act. I won't even go into the other threats he made because they were even worse. But hey, if you can laugh off such things, then good for you. As for me, I'd never take them lightly.
Maybe he sensed you didn't accept him for who he was. That could make kids turn on their parents. Don't feel i'm trying to attack you, this is from a different perspective. My mother rejected me for being really shy. She thought it reflected badly on her, and I could tell she didn't like me, so I didn't really work on our relationship and distanced myself. I just wanted to be accepted in spite of my limitations, not changed to be something I could never be.

As far as occupations, there is an aspie in our family who is an engineering student.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'm personally offended by anyone who attempts to link ASD with violent crimes, based on no facts whats so ever.
I'm personally offended by anyone that threatens to blow my head off. That's a fact.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Maybe he sensed you didn't accept him for who he was.
That couldn't be further from the truth.

I didn't come on this thread to ask for advice about my son. No one here knows my son so no one is qualified to judge my relationship, or lack of a relationship, with him. I came here to give my input as to a good job choice for a person with Asperger's. Back on topic everyone...

Last edited by GPC; 11-27-2013 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,802,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I apologize for the misinformation about Sandy Hook, but I still don't see why you are saying someone with autism couldn't do such a thing. Autism does not mean one cannot exhibit violence or extreme violence. They can, just like any other person, it doesn't make them immune to (ab)normal human extremes.
Its rare , theres only a few documented cases of an Autistic shooting or going on a killing spree....and these people often have other disorders. The Autism itself is often not the cause of the violence or the mood swings , other factors include the way the person is raised and treated in Society...

Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,893,391 times
My son has Aspergers and some jobs I have thought about for his future are electrical lineman and park ranger. While both of these jobs do have some coworker interaction, which he can tolerate in small doses, they can be pretty solitary, especially the park rangers here in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment