Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,907,135 times

Advertisements

He was given a direct order by upper management, he refused, and action was taken. In jobs like that you can be replaced on a whim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 10:17 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,709,549 times
first off, pizza sl-ut is terribad.

secondly, this should have been taken care of behind closed doors, but it was bad policy by a bad franchise owner. these people have low wage jobs that they are probably not very proud of, at least give them some dignity and let them enjoy a nice holiday with their families...

Old 11-28-2013, 10:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,904,566 times
I worked retail and in the restaurant industry for years. I always worked holidays--especially Thanksgiving when I worked restaurant work. I expected it. I truly don't get this manager's mentality. I got tired of it, so I changed industries. Boom.

I still have family members that are nurses/police officers or work in retail or restaurant. We work around their schedules. No big deal.

Heck, I work in the tax industry and can't tell you the last time I had Easter off.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:55 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,429,071 times
I respect the guy for taking action based on his morals. Unfortunately, the only religion or value system in America that matters is $. That's why he was let go.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM

533 posts, read 1,110,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
first off, pizza sl-ut is terribad.

secondly, this should have been taken care of behind closed doors, but it was bad policy by a bad franchise owner. these people have low wage jobs that they are probably not very proud of, at least give them some dignity and let them enjoy a nice holiday with their families...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I worked retail and in the restaurant industry for years. I always worked holidays--especially Thanksgiving when I worked restaurant work. I expected it. I truly don't get this manager's mentality. I got tired of it, so I changed industries. Boom.

I still have family members that are nurses/police officers or work in retail or restaurant. We work around their schedules. No big deal.

Heck, I work in the tax industry and can't tell you the last time I had Easter off.
The thing is though, with being a nurse or a police officer you're still labeled a professional, and people ultimately respect you/your profession. When I was working in retail throughout high school and college, working on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve just made me feel like a loser. I'm not saying everyone in retail feels that way, or that people SHOULD feel that way, I'm just saying that being forced to work on those days made me just feel like sh*t. ESPECIALLY when customers would start copping attitudes with you at 3am.

Customers don't suddenly turn kind on holidays. Ughhhh thinking about my 6 years of working in retail makes me shudder... to this day I won't shop at the stores I worked for and whenever I go into any stores I always make sure to be super polite and patient with everyone.

Also, I do agree with what you said about people changing industries, HOWEVER, young people (in high school/college) don't have a lot of options... This year is my first year being home for Thanksgiving since 2009. I couldn't just "change industries" while I was a full time student. This will also be my first year home for Christmas, because in retail, employees usually have to work Christmas Eve and the day after; my new job gives everyone a full week off (paid) for Christmas, I haven't been so excited for a freakin holiday in years.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:14 AM
MJ7

yup, when i was checking out last night i asked the bagger and clerk if they had today off, they replied "yes, thank god! we can actually have a nice meal with the family this year", it brought a smile to all of our faces.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:15 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,963,689 times
Probably gonna get bashed for this, but don't care. You can take that almighty $ and shove it sideways up your a$$, is it seriously too much to ask for retail workers to have 3 days a year off? Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Quite frankly if these 3 days are going to make or break your business, you're doin it wrong.

Or another idea which will get bashed I'm sure, how about these people in high up places work those holidays too. In the stores. Next to their employees.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,459,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Thank goodness. As someone who has no family, and have lived in a place where I have no family for the past few years, Thanksgiving Pizza Hut has saved my life.
Yep. I'm single and I've purchased take out food on Thanksgiving before.

As to the manager, could he have asked the staff to volunteer to work? Many employees would have come in voluntarily. I'm sure there are also other managers who could have filled in for him.

His "stand" was unnecessary.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:17 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Probably gonna get bashed for this, but don't care. You can take that almighty $ and shove it sideways up your a$$, is it seriously too much to ask for retail workers to have 3 days a year off? Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Quite frankly if these 3 days are going to make or break your business, you're doin it wrong.

Or another idea which will get bashed I'm sure, how about these people in high up places work those holidays too. In the stores. Next to their employees.
na, you wont get bashed...i agree. look at companies that treat their employees right...COSTCO. their employees get paid holidays off, 401k, insurance, and a decent hourly wage. only if the rest of the companies did this for retail positions. in this case we can use our consumer power and avoid stores that operate differently and make their employees slave through it all.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:19 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

thats great...unfortunately pizza hut isnt the tax industry, nor is it a medical field job nor a police officer job. i cant believe you compared a pizza hut job to the above. in this instance you have grown to accept your hours/work days. some people choose differently based on their professions. i say give them a day off, hell give them a paid day off at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment