Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

I would be flexible with some requirements for an internal candidate. The big difference is I have very little time and information to go on in hiring an external candidate so the requirements help with the process. But if I can actually review the candidates work and talk to people he currently works with I'll take that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 11:36 AM

431 posts, read 599,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

i applied to a senior level position (i was 25 at the time) and although i had the education and some experience, they couldnt get passed my age.
It's more likely they couldn't get PAST your use of the English language.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:15 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Depends on all the policies of the company.

A point not mentioned that can be significant is that an internal represents money the company is already committed to spending. Your salary is already figured in, so if the company can actually afford to trade a you from your current position to the new position without a back fill, that's money saved.

As well, "years of experience" requirements are flexible. An external may show "five years of experience" in his resume, but the company doesn't necessarily know how solid those years were or how relevant that experience was to what your company is actually doing.

The company can know for sure how relevant your internal experience is. In most cases, an intra-company transfer will require the recommendation of your management, and they will know how to judge how relevant your experience really is.

From what I've seen, at least in larger companies, the internal has a leg up on the external for those two reasons.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:06 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So what about every other requirement you post? Internal canidates would never get jobs because it's rare to find someone who meets every requirement posted.
I disagree. A candidate must at least meet our minimum requirements. If they do not, they are automatically out of the running. Most of our promotions are internal but not all of them are. We are not going to reduce our expectations or violate our hiring process just to hire an internal candidate.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:56 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,767 times
I am in this predicament at work at the moment. I am currently a food service worker. My Bachelors degree is in Dietetics. I have applied for a Diet Tech position. This would really help me advance in my field.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
I find listed requirements to be much more of a guideline. I agree that internal candidates tend to have much more flexibility.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So what about every other requirement you post? Internal canidates would never get jobs because it's rare to find someone who meets every requirement posted.
That's not true. If we require 3 years experience for entry level, and 5 for a higher level position, a person can be promoted in 2 years if they able to beat out any external candidates. The problem is that internal candidates think they have an advantage since they are allowed to apply even when short on the experience, but lately there always seem to be plenty of outside applicants that fully meet of exceed the requirements.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
It depends on the politics. If they know who they want for the spot, it doesn't matter unless you are the one they are promoting because you won't get it at all. If they don't, mileage will vary depending on company culture and the individuals in the hiring selection committee.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:31 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's not true. If we require 3 years experience for entry level, and 5 for a higher level position, a person can be promoted in 2 years if they able to beat out any external candidates. The problem is that internal candidates think they have an advantage since they are allowed to apply even when short on the experience, but lately there always seem to be plenty of outside applicants that fully meet of exceed the requirements.
Now why wouldn't the internal candidates have the leg-up on external ones? Baring the fact that they could be screw ups who are good enough to keep the entry-level job but not enough to get promoted.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Now why wouldn't the internal candidates have the leg-up on external ones? Baring the fact that they could be screw ups who are good enough to keep the entry-level job but not enough to get promoted.
If I understand Hemlock correctly...

A job may be advertised as requiring 5 years of experience. All external applicants must have this, or they will not get to the interview stage. Internal applicants will be interviewed even if they don't have this experience.

This means that an internal applicant has an advantage in getting an interview, but it is likely that the interview will be a mere formality, as the internal person simply will be outclassed by all the external applicants with better qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment