Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 11:25 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times

Advertisements

Is anyone currently a web designer?

I need a career change and I think this might suit me (enjoy computers, need to generally work from home, good eye for logic/functionality/usability), part-time work is fine.

Does this seem like an okay program to take?
BCIT : : Web Technologies: Part-time/Distance & Online Learning, Certificate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 07:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Do you live in Canada?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:41 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
It seems like it'd becoming a web programmer might be a better fit. Learning how to code is one thing; learning design itself is another.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
It seems like it'd becoming a web programmer might be a better fit. Learning how to code is one thing; learning design itself is another.
This. Design focuses a lot on psychology, anthropology, perception, and behavioral science. Depending on your focus, it could include visual design or ux design related studies. Web programming is the implementation of designs.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
It's a shame the same word "design" is used for two completely different things. In Course MDIA 4303, the word "design" is really just talking about nuances of (i.e., UX, accessibility, etc.) "software development implementation on the web". There is another discipline within software development, also sometimes referred to by the word "design", which is perhaps better referred-to as "software architecture" although that's just bastardizing a word from another milieu entirely which is, while safer, still a little dodgy.

As to the OP's question - it depends on what you are asking? If you're asking whether that specific program is a good one for learning software development implementation on the web, I don't know, but you should also want to understand the general order of the discipline and its prospects for the future. The discipline is moving abroard at a rapid pace. The high-level work is still generally done in the US but increasingly companies are having more and more software implemented where they can pay people pennies on the dollar as compared to North American or European salaries. Beyond that, frameworks and workbenches are making the job of software implementation less tedious and time-consuming, meaning that future projects will require a much thinner stack of human labor, in the same way that automation has thinned out the ranks of assembly lines for manufactured products. I'm of the firm conviction that despite the apparent progression of expansion of software products in the years to come, the discipline will continue to require fewer and fewer people performing software implementation.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Do you live in Canada?
Yes. I live across the country right now but I used to live near BCIT and that's why I was interested, because I know it's a quality school.

bUU thanks for that. I'm just looking to work part-time from home, doing smaller contracts (ie. local restaurant needs a website or whatever). I have a disabled child and need to find a job that offers flexibility in hours, such as doing the majority of work from 6-11am and then 6-11pm or whatever. Not looking to break the bank, even $1k per month (give or take, I know contract work is dodgy) is good enough.

I admit, I don't know much about design and programming right now. I used to, but I'm afraid that was in the dinosaur age when Pascal was being taught in school. I guess I need to bring myself up to speed before a decision.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:25 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I need a career change and I think this might suit me (enjoy computers, need to generally work from home, good eye for logic/functionality/usability), part-time work is fine.
You can find various free website systems to work with. Just do a search for "free website". You can then start building websites. Give everyone you know the URLs to the sites you create. If people say they are great then you're in. If people say they suck. Then well...

Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
OP - create a few working prototypes that you can show in your portfolio. Then try freelancer.com.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I thought that field was on the decline due to systems that build sites for very cheap, as well as the amount of people who can do that type of work

Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,345 times
Web design is a great place to start. Little web systems that build static pages are not going to make this job obsolete. Every business has a different need, and set of requirements, that a real design/developer can do. Start with non profits, and build contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment