Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 AM

273 posts, read 503,224 times

Advertisements

CD,

I have an opportunity to work for Google in Mountain View, CA. I'm enthusiastic about the job offer because it's "GOOGLE". However, the position doesn't compare to the responsibilities I have in my current role where I'm considered a highly skilled resource, i.e (CCIE, VMware guru, F5, EMC, BroadCom, 10+ years experience, blah, blah, blah)...

Also, with cost of living in CA compared to what I make in Washington, DC it will probably cancel each other out. I probably won't make as much as I do in bonuses at Google, but no biggie. (I made an extra 40% of my income in bonuses this year; it was a VERY GOOD year).

The number one plus I see out of this is the potential to get promoted within at Google to something that better suits my long-term goals.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I think it comes down to "The number one plus I see out of this is the potential to get promoted within at Google to something that better suits my long-term goals."

Don't think short term. What will be better 2 years down the line? 5 years? 10 years? Have you actually discussed this with google?

Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Can't you negotiate for compensation that's equal or better than your current comp package? After all, it's Google. If you can get the right money, Google will look good on a resume.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 AM

no discussions on long-term goal yet with Google. I have another call with them this week. i interviewed with them last year and they contacted me again recently, (talk about a lag in following up). they are interested in a portion of my career when i was mid-level, back when i was doing a lot of Service Provider routing & switching work.

they sent some interesting video's to me on what life would be like working at the Mountain View campus. it looks like a utopia...

Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 AM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Having Google on your resume will add to your reputation.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Can't you negotiate for compensation that's equal or better than your current comp package? After all, it's Google. If you can get the right money, Google will look good on a resume.
obviously, I'll try my best to make them pay.. my compensation now is pretty good, mostly because I'm an earner. i engineer solutions, bill hours and also close deals; so my compensation is on the higher-end of the industry standard for my qualifications.

the role at Google, would be a IT position that's considered a "cost-center", it's been my experience that these salaries are standard; but it being in CA and being Google I'll see what I can do.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:57 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
As others have mentioned, think five steps out, not the near term. It is not uncommon for people to accept positions with a five year plan in mind.

The current position I am in I did this; the position was less pay than other positions offered at the time (technically I did a lateral transfer, and not a promotion, but got a cost of living hit moving to a new location), but it puts me into a field with a great career track and promotion rate (been promoted three times in two years), even if I have to go outside the company.

Also, is Google a name to have on your resume in your field? Sort of like having one of the Big 4 in accounting is a resume enhancer? If it is, then you should really take it.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:24 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I'm not saying that Google is paradise to work at by any means.

But Google is very hard to get into. So much so there's even complete books on what resume to write to get into it!
The Google Resume: How to Prepare for a Career and Land a Job at Apple, Microsoft, Google, or any Top Tech Company: Gayle Laakmann McDowell: 9780470927625: Amazon.com: Books

I would make the argument that Google would look better on any resume then a degree from any Ivy League institution, regardless of what you do there.

This would be like working for Atari in the early 1980's, Microsoft in the 1990's or Apple when Steve Jobs came back. Even if you are there for a short period of time (say a few years) the connections should last quite some time. I would say that three of the major tech companies these days are Google, Amazon, Apple and Samsung. If you want to lump in others like say IBM sure but these ones really stand out. Even if you leave chances are your chances of finding work in some of these other places improve dramatically.

If offered take it. This could be the opportunity of a lifetime.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 AM

yeah, working for Google would be a major plus for me. It'd be like working for Patek Phillipe if you were a watchmaker or like Deloitte if you were an accountant.

what I like about the opportunity at google is I could eventually go into Data Science/Analytics. in 10 years i really don't want to be super-tech engineer/consulting guy driving a Porsche. Ideally, more like a proper Data Scientist that sits in on panels, and perhaps a PhD; filling in on CNN to discuss some dumbed down topic for the mass public, (driving a Ferrari though.. lmao).

Last edited by Exhibit_B; 12-01-2013 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: *sp

Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Google pays very well here in the valley. At worst, their payrange is very broad.
Don't be suckered into thinking there is a standard to IT salaries when working in datacenters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment