Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times

Advertisements

I would really appreciate some advice on how a person should cope or deal with a very stinky smelly coworker.

I have to work with this smelly coworker several days out of the week (he is not there every day) and when he is there, the sour stench makes me feel very nauseous. I try my best to avoid being around him, but sometimes even if I walk through an area where he has recently been, the smell is still lingering there and it makes me gag. When I must stand near him, I hold my breath as long as I can and I keep my mouth closed, but it is still awful.

I am a "newbie", I just recently began working with this organization, so I am unsure as to whether it would be appropriate to speak to my boss or another coworker about the problem. As the newest employee I don't want to make some kind of impression like I am a squeaky wheel who complains a lot.

Any advice or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 11:11 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Gently find a co-worker who would bring the issue to a decision maker.
Is it their clothes, their diet, their medication, or their own body?

Can you imagine the smell when pot/honeyoil goes legal?
It's not sativa anymore
I'm outside and it's overwhelming in, literally, a "high" wind

Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,740 times
This may be a situation that you let HR take care of... we have a Team Member Handbook that points out that everyone must be presentable as far as how we dressed and personal hygiene.

Avoid saying something to them yourself as that never ends well... So get HR involved and if you really don't have an HR team then let your supervisor know. We had dealt with a similar situation here and HR got involved with that individual and they've since cleaned up their appearance and their stink.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
deal with a very stinky smelly coworker ... Any advice or suggestions?
Leave an almost-empty can of deodorant, wiped clean of fingerprints, on his desk!
Do it on a day that he's not there, so everyone can see it. Improves morale!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Leave a bag with soap and deodorant addressed to him at his desk or work area with a note "Please do your coworkers a favor and use these."

Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,590 times
Find a way to bring it to HR's attention and let them handle it. It will take the heat off of you and your co-workers.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:02 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
I agree with the HR bit.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
It's the responsibility of the supervisor/manager to create and maintain a productive, safe and pleasant work environment. Whether it's an objectionable perfume/cologne or someone with bad BO they should deal with it. You should bring it to the attention of your superiors. I had to deal with that once with multiple complaints about a woman and it was one of the more difficult things I ever had to do, worse than firing people, but I got through it and eventually resolved the problem.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:15 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's the responsibility of the supervisor/manager to create and maintain a productive, safe and pleasant work environment. Whether it's an objectionable perfume/cologne or someone with bad BO they should deal with it. You should bring it to the attention of your superiors. I had to deal with that once with multiple complaints about a woman and it was one of the more difficult things I ever had to do, worse than firing people, but I got through it and eventually resolved the problem.
I am sure the supervisor and coworkers are aware of the problem. Would it be wise for the new person to create a problem?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:28 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Also agree with the HR advice, thats what theyre there for. Is it their BO or something else? I had an old coworker who was a functional alcoholic, he always stunk like he was sweating out the toxins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment