Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:14 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to go about asking for career advice from someone who you don't know personally, but whose career you've followed and you highly admire?

I want to make a slight career change. I say "slight" because I'm currently in the arts (graphic design) and want to enter a different, but still artistic field (production design for film). I don't personally know anyone who is in this field, and am thinking of reaching out to one of my idols (hate that word) in the industry who is well established and might be able to give a newbie some pointers on what skills to learn, how to build connections, etc. He's worked on some big films, but as he's far behind the camera, he's not a celebrity or anything, I doubt the average person even knows his name.

I'm worried about a) looking like some "omg omg I love your work" fan, and b) making sure that it doesn't sound like I'm asking him to give me a job, which I'm not.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Not necessarily in this field, but in any--reaching out to someone you don't know personally, who really has no incentive to help you but could potentially give you some great advice and point you in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
I'm about to do the same thing. I'm going to contact the person, explain my situation and ask for a little advice. I think the key is to make what you want very clear and to not ask for too much.

Most people are generally nice and will want to help you. Be prepared if you run into someone who isn't nice. Brush it off and find someone else.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm about to do the same thing. I'm going to contact the person, explain my situation and ask for a little advice. I think the key is to make what you want very clear and to not ask for too much.

Most people are generally nice and will want to help you. Be prepared if you run into someone who isn't nice. Brush it off and find someone else.
Thank you! I guess I'll just go for it and be as clear as possible. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:48 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
im one of those people who isn't nice when it comes to career advice. i used to be nice and giving but when i found those who have asked do not respect me i stopped giving advice and let them fend for themselves. even if i like somebody personally and have known them for awhile i will offer a letter of rec to them but little to nothing else because their ambitions are usually grandiose and silly and i just can't relate to it. work and careers are also a way to support yourself and pay the bills etc etc and lots of young people don't like to hear that part of it and then it becomes my problem...

so don't ask me!!!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
That's the purpose of this board.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:26 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Do you think your idol is going to take the time to give you a personal, meaningful reply?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
such questions can also make the person feel threatened because you may be making inquiries about things they don't know about (and some of these inquiriers have a way of making you feel like you should know) or maybe wanted to pursue but didnt for whatever reason and they may not want to you to know why

the longer you have known the person and the more secure they are within themselves the better your chances for success

Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
It's called an informational interview and I've had a bunch of them over the years.

In my experience, a high level person who doesn't know you will usually say no (in a nice way hopefully). Or perhaps just not reply. If that happens don't take it personally, they don't know you so it isn't personal.

The best way to get an informational interview with someone who doesn't know you however is to know someone that knows them. That's one of my strategies, I make it a point to try my best to get to know the administrative assistants within my organization and cultivate those relationships. If they like me, I'm in (most of the time). Once I'm in with two or three, I'm in with more and so it goes.

If you get the informational interview, don't seem like a complete newb. Have confidence for your abilities but respect for their knowledge. Otherwise, they'll think of you too much as a newb and that rep will stick in their minds for a while (even after you gained experience). You want to project knowledge and confidence but also gather information and make a contact (and you don't want that contact to think you are clueless), it's a balance.

Best of luck

Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
If you try to approach someone who doesn't know you, there are very good chances you might be turned down or not hear back at all. Try to see if you have a common connection or even better, go meet someone who you know he knows well. I have done that in the past - someone was out of my reach (person "X") so I met someone who I know she knew very well (person "Y") and was within my reach. Got mentored by "Y" and asked him who else do you think I should talk to and he suggested a few names including name of "X"! I approached "X" and told her "Y" suggested I speak to her and she readily agreed; not because she knew me but because of "Y's" recommendation.

Most mentors are more than willing to take 30 minutes if you give them enough notice. Be open to meet them at a place and time of their choice even though it may be inconvenient to you. As one of my mentors told me, they feel pride in being able to mentor someone; it is a matter of esteem for them that they are approached for guidance. Not most people think on those lines but gives a general idea of what most decent folks would think.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I've done information interviews from both sides. Here's my tips if you happen to get one:

1) Always, always be respectful of time. If you ask for 15 minutes, be done in 15 minutes. Even if the person doesn't say anything. You can say something like, "I promised this would only take 15 minutes and it's been 15, etc"

2) Always ask specific questions. Show you've done your research. General questions are a waste of everyone's time.

3) Always, always, follow up afterwards with a thank you.

4) I think it's perfectly okay to unobtrusively take notes or ask for business cards. There's been times I've thought of someone who would be a great contact for the interviewee and I"m always amazed when I"m not asked for a business card or at least contact info.

Just for fun, I also say something like, "is there a question I haven't asked, that you'd like to answer". I've gotten some great stuff from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment