Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:22 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of understandable anger in this thread. Here is a list of people to blame. First blame the politicians who signed on to free trade agreements. These people who are in the pockets of corporate America knew what this would do to our job market, but the thought of all that added profit was too much to resist. Since most of these agreements were signed back in the 90s, the folks responsible for it who were in their 50s and 60s back then are enjoying comfortable retirements now at all our expenses. They knew it would destroy Americas economy for future generations but they did not care. They are on a beach somewhere sipping on margaritas. Ross Perot warned us about all this back then, but he was labeled a nutcase and ignored. 2. Blame the baby boom generation for its greed, they enjoyed the good life, reaped all the benefits of the post war boom and thought nothing of what would happen in the future. They failed to stop the politicians who passed free trade (it wouldn't effect them so they didn't care), also these boomers are often still sitting in good jobs at 68-70 yrs old because they love money so much they will not retire. I guess it doesn't matter because when they are replaced it will be with temps, unpaid interns or if its manufacturing the job will be outsourced to China. 3. Blame Unions, they drove up wages and benefits to a point many companies could not be successful. Think General motors here. Greedy baby boomers are behind this one as well. 4. Blame government and liberal politics, this one will make some folks upset, but its a fact we have regulated and taxed business right out of this country. At the same time we gave companies the option to go to china to build everything, we have taxed and regulated them to death here as well. Its no surprise that they choose to leave. We need to quit spending so much money on social programs, stupid government studies, foreign aid, and useless military adventures. (Libya for example) Its not our job to save the world, and we should not rebuild our enemies, Iraq and Afghanistan should have been defeated, the threat neutralized and then left alone. Not our job to fix them. Because of these things I listed we are 17 trillion dollars in debt. So we tax our job creators to death. Real smart. 5. Blame all Americans for tolerating this nonsense, we need to demand change, not ask for it. (Obama is NOT the change we needed) What we need is a third party who really stands for regular Americans, who believes in capitalism and believes in protecting our economy. Remember I mentioned Ross Perot, we need a modern version of him.
If we don't do something our standard of living will erode for a few more years, but eventually the whole economy will collapse and we will lose everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 02:45 PM

189 posts, read 239,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There is a lot of understandable anger in this thread. Here is a list of people to blame. First blame the politicians who signed on to free trade agreements. These people who are in the pockets of corporate America knew what this would do to our job market, but the thought of all that added profit was too much to resist. Since most of these agreements were signed back in the 90s, the folks responsible for it who were in their 50s and 60s back then are enjoying comfortable retirements now at all our expenses. They knew it would destroy Americas economy for future generations but they did not care. They are on a beach somewhere sipping on margaritas. Ross Perot warned us about all this back then, but he was labeled a nutcase and ignored. 2. Blame the baby boom generation for its greed, they enjoyed the good life, reaped all the benefits of the post war boom and thought nothing of what would happen in the future. They failed to stop the politicians who passed free trade (it wouldn't effect them so they didn't care), also these boomers are often still sitting in good jobs at 68-70 yrs old because they love money so much they will not retire. I guess it doesn't matter because when they are replaced it will be with temps, unpaid interns or if its manufacturing the job will be outsourced to China. 3. Blame Unions, they drove up wages and benefits to a point many companies could not be successful. Think General motors here. Greedy baby boomers are behind this one as well. 4. Blame government and liberal politics, this one will make some folks upset, but its a fact we have regulated and taxed business right out of this country. At the same time we gave companies the option to go to china to build everything, we have taxed and regulated them to death here as well. Its no surprise that they choose to leave. We need to quit spending so much money on social programs, stupid government studies, foreign aid, and useless military adventures. (Libya for example) Its not our job to save the world, and we should not rebuild our enemies, Iraq and Afghanistan should have been defeated, the threat neutralized and then left alone. Not our job to fix them. Because of these things I listed we are 17 trillion dollars in debt. So we tax our job creators to death. Real smart. 5. Blame all Americans for tolerating this nonsense, we need to demand change, not ask for it. (Obama is NOT the change we needed) What we need is a third party who really stands for regular Americans, who believes in capitalism and believes in protecting our economy. Remember I mentioned Ross Perot, we need a modern version of him.
If we don't do something our standard of living will erode for a few more years, but eventually the whole economy will collapse and we will lose everything.
I agree with you 500%.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Quote:
Because blaming oneself and making changes is not something people should do. Right.......

Half the people that complain in the work section get great advice then do NOTHING then continue to complain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Blame and being pissed off gets you precisely .. nowhere.

If you see someone doing better than you, and you can do what they are doing - then do that yourself.

FYI - you weren't promised jack on this earth, no-one is.

Stop moaning, start doing.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
If you are pissed at your present situation, think about those that don't have a job. If you want to better yourself, retrain or acquire some new skills, work hard and get a new career that pays more. Getting "pissed" will get you nowhere, except higher blood pressure and stress.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Then change careers.
Newsflash:

Changing careers means NOTHING if there aren't any jobs. Nevermind the costs associated with doing so, the lack of experience, which is a killer if you're not well under 30 and fresh out of college, and so on. And even with all that, nothing balances out idiot corporations laying off the workers while keeping connected sociopaths and idiots employed.

I love the crazy notion that "there are so many jobs out there." There aren't unless one really things tens of millions of Americans suddenly decided that they LIKE having little to no income since the Great Recession started. These must be the people who log onto Career Builder and actually believe that the jobs listed are real... during the 2+ years I was out of work, I can safely say most posted jobs are completely fake. You wouldn't know that with a quick glance, but when you see the same job duplicated over and over, jobs lingering for over a year on the website (and you never hear anything from them after applying, despite being qualified), and so on, you realize it's all an illusion. The end result is so many people who actually buy into the "recovery" nonsense and think there are enough jobs out there.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:00 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Because blaming oneself and making changes is not something people should do. Right.......
I think there is some willful ignorance though of the larger macroeconomic factors that lead to a person or group of people being unemployed or underemployed. Outsourcing, offshoring, automation, poor corporate leadership/decision making, etc. It has rotted out the working class so that there is nothing left for them but McJobs in many cases. Sure you can go back to school, go deep into debt for a chance at a better job, but there are no guarantees, as people are so fond of saying out here when they chastise silly college graduates who can't find jobs in their fields to save their lives. So now deeply in debt and still no job, what now? Go work at McDonald's? Go more into debt for some other field? Yes, those are truly the answers. There has to be some version of Stockholm Syndrome going on in here where people are so vehemently protecting the force that is trying to destroy them.

Before you start running off your mouth about STEM being some golden ticket, here is some bedtime reading:

The STEM Crisis Is a Myth - IEEE Spectrum
U.S. pushes for more scientists, but the jobs aren’t there - The Washington Post
Is It Fair to Steer Students into STEM Disciplines Facing a Glut of Workers? - IEEE Spectrum
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/op...glut.html?_r=0

No one is saying an individual shouldn't do what they can, but there has to be some recognition that there is only so much one can do and they are not completely to blame for their situation.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
More mad at myself for opportunities I didn't take advantage of. Hindsight is 20/20. I see so many places in my life that I could have made different choices and I would be doing a whole lot better than I am now. But there's no one to blame but myself.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
There is a lot of understandable anger in this thread. Here is a list of people to blame. First blame the politicians who signed on to free trade agreements. These people who are in the pockets of corporate America knew what this would do to our job market, but the thought of all that added profit was too much to resist. Since most of these agreements were signed back in the 90s, the folks responsible for it who were in their 50s and 60s back then are enjoying comfortable retirements now at all our expenses. They knew it would destroy Americas economy for future generations but they did not care. They are on a beach somewhere sipping on margaritas. Ross Perot warned us about all this back then, but he was labeled a nutcase and ignored.
This is really passing the blame. If you want to blame anyone for the FTA, blame the voting population during that time.
Quote:
2. Blame the baby boom generation for its greed, they enjoyed the good life, reaped all the benefits of the post war boom and thought nothing of what would happen in the future. They failed to stop the politicians who passed free trade (it wouldn't effect them so they didn't care), also these boomers are often still sitting in good jobs at 68-70 yrs old because they love money so much they will not retire. I guess it doesn't matter because when they are replaced it will be with temps, unpaid interns or if its manufacturing the job will be outsourced to China. 3. Blame Unions, they drove up wages and benefits to a point many companies could not be successful. Think General motors here. Greedy baby boomers are behind this one as well.
Most union companies are still around and ticking just fine. Naming one company that screwed up doesn't drive a solid conclusion. Look at Dow Jones. They are doing just fine with their union.
Quote:
4. Blame government and liberal politics, this one will make some folks upset, but its a fact we have regulated and taxed business right out of this country. At the same time we gave companies the option to go to china to build everything, we have taxed and regulated them to death here as well. Its no surprise that they choose to leave. We need to quit spending so much money on social programs, stupid government studies, foreign aid, and useless military adventures. (Libya for example) Its not our job to save the world, and we should not rebuild our enemies, Iraq and Afghanistan should have been defeated, the threat neutralized and then left alone. Not our job to fix them. Because of these things I listed we are 17 trillion dollars in debt. So we tax our job creators to death. Real smart. 5. Blame all Americans for tolerating this nonsense, we need to demand change, not ask for it. (Obama is NOT the change we needed) What we need is a third party who really stands for regular Americans, who believes in capitalism and believes in protecting our economy. Remember I mentioned Ross Perot, we need a modern version of him.
Most of the blame belongs with the people. The formula to be successful in the US is simple. Go to school, get decent grades, attend a top 10 college on scholarship, and work hard.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:30 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
I wonder if some people are pissed off about their financial status at this point in their life?
How about those who went into debt obtaining masters or doctorate degrees or trades only to have a difficult time finding jobs/careers that pay according to the blood, sweat, and tears sacrificed?
Do you start to get pissed when you see people who are not qualified making money or being placed in positions that they don't deserve or in positions they clearly aren't competent to hold? Just wondering......
Please vent
Nope. I like what I do it's a lot of fun.

Still working and plan to work at least 5 more years while my wife and I collect an extra $3,500/month in social security benefits for spending cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment