Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM

24 posts, read 38,512 times

Advertisements

I apologize for posting multiple threads on here recently.

As I have said, I'm making a career change, and one of the recent threads about references got me to thinking. I work as an adjunct, and am looking to get out of teaching, for reasons I've explained elsewhere on here. I know that I will need several professional references as I apply for jobs. Since I've taught at several schools, both in person and online, that shouldn't be a big problem.

Edit: I was told this was too lengthy, so I've trimmed it down. Long story short: I had a minor falling out with my department supervisor over an invitation to a party. Since then, my department supervisor has been somewhat curt with me; this, combined with my supervisor's tendency towards unprofessional behavior, leaves me worried about using my supervisor as a professional reference.

I have taught at this school for several years, so I would hate to leave it off my resume, especially since that would create a short unemployment gap on my resume. I could use a coworker as a reference, but how would that look?

Last edited by mkram; 12-03-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 04:02 PM

382 posts, read 664,219 times
Umm from reading that rather lengthy description with information that we really did not need to know. Why not ask a co-worker whether or not you could use them as an reference?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:04 PM

24 posts, read 38,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
Umm from reading that rather lengthy description with information that we really did not need to know. Why not ask a co-worker whether or not you could use them as an reference?
Sorry, I can take some info out. Would employers mind seeing a coworker as a reference, rather than a superior?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:08 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Your reference doesn't have to be your direct manager; can be a coworker or client.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Your reference doesn't have to be your direct manager; can be a coworker or client.
Depends on the job.

My current job required me to provide supervisory references. However, OP, is there anyone else in a supervisory position (someone over you other than your direct supervisor/over your supervisor) that could give you a reference? I actually ended up using a supervisor (who was not my main supervisor but a supervisor within my department nonetheless) and a director (when I had an evil supervisor/manager duo.)

Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
I would try to find another reference who has some sort of important title within the school. If you can't get the dean, maybe the associate dean would work? The academic adviser? It can be anyone who can credibly testify as to your performance on the job. It could even be a colleague, though it would be less impressive than if it were an administrator.

The bad news is, some prospective employers will still want to know who your direct supervisor was, and they will want to communicate with that person.

The good news? In my experience, bad references or references who in some way sabotage you will be able to do so effectively in some instances, but not all. I've gotten several jobs with a reference who refused to recommend me and this was after he had told me I could use him as a reference. I only found out about it later when the person hiring me said 'Well we got three glowing references from these people. We never did hear from X but we like what we've heard so far from all the rest.'

People can be petty a-holes. The good news is, most people who are in hiring positions are experienced enough to know this. They might have even been on the wrong side of this themselves at some point. You may get screwed out of some jobs but not all. Just keep hunting.

Is the damage to this relationship done beyond repair? Maybe you could just agree to have a discussion about what happened. If you offended him and he has legitimate grounds to be offended, own up to it. If you don't feel at fault, you could at least say you're sorry for offending him and didn't know it would make him feel that way. Swallowing a little pride isn't always a bad thing. I'm not saying it's an absolute must in this situation, but it could help.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:35 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
People can be petty a-holes. The good news is, most people who are in hiring positions are experienced enough to know this. They might have even been on the wrong side of this themselves at some point. You may get screwed out of some jobs but not all. Just keep hunting.
Sadly this has not been my experiece. If you get a bad reference they assume it is true or at least your fault to some extent and they pass on you and you can miss out on job after job not knowing why. This happened to a colleague of mine from grad school until she finally found out.

Most inteligent companies and organizations only provide titles and dates of employment. I strongly suggest you hire a firm or have a fried posing as a checker call and confirm what they will say. If they slander you send a cease and desist letter [templates on net] to the individual and their HR department. In most cases that will put a stop to it because who wants to continue to defame you and risk a lawsuit, as there is no benefit to the organization to bad mouth you but huge legal liability.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Sadly this has not been my experiece. If you get a bad reference they assume it is true or at least your fault to some extent and they pass on you and you can miss out on job after job not knowing why. This happened to a colleague of mine from grad school until she finally found out.

Most inteligent companies and organizations only provide titles and dates of employment. I strongly suggest you hire a firm or have a fried posing as a checker call and confirm what they will say. If they slander you send a cease and desist letter [templates on net] to the individual and their HR department. In most cases that will put a stop to it because who wants to continue to defame you and risk a lawsuit, as there is no benefit to the organization to bad mouth you but huge legal liability.
The problem a person runs into with a bad reference is that they're competing against others who might not have any bad references. Then the employer has to make a 'logical' choice. Still, employers are not naive; they know people have fall-outs with supervisors.

I like your suggestion of having a friend or someone you know call and do a mock reference check. There are companies that do this (as you noted).

Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkram View Post
Sorry, I can take some info out. Would employers mind seeing a coworker as a reference, rather than a superior?
I have never used my current superior as a job reference. I use current or former co-workers, especially those in other departments who I work or have worked closely with.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:11 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
If there is someone else that can give you a reference I would put them down. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search