Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times

Advertisements

So, Fast food workers planning another strike, expecting $15.00 an hour. Does anyone truly
think this will ever fly?

Old 12-04-2013, 01:51 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
So, Fast food workers planning another strike, expecting $15.00 an hour. Does anyone truly
think this will ever fly?
McDonalds pays $20 an hour in......drum roll.............................................. ...........France.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:10 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I find it amusing that there are fast food workers who think they should be getting paid $15 an hour when a lot of college grads are making less than that. Don't try to make me pay for all of your mistakes in life that lead to McD's/fast food being your only long term career option.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Please companies are asking for science grads to work in their labs for less than $15 an hour.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
$15 maybe a stretch, but I think $12 is OK. I've worked in restaurants and fast food and it's not easy work. Cooks are on their feet for the entire shift, balancing tickets and servers who screw up orders and constantly need things. Servers and counter people have to deal with rude and indecisive customers. When the restaurant closes there is a lot of side work to be done, cleaning, taking out the trash etc. On top of this these types of jobs require night, weekend and holiday availability, when most would like to be home with their families. I think this work deserves more than $7.75 an hour without benefits.

I don't think people dream of these jobs, but not everyone is cut out for college or office work. Plus, someone has to do these jobs. I doubt there are enough HS and college kids to work all of the retail/service jobs that are out there. I think there is nothing wrong with someone making a career out of working at McDonald's. There are lawyers, there are accountants and there are fast food workers. It might not be glamorous but it's an honest job and you can't be brain dead to do it, it requires multitasking, dealing well under pressure, dealing with annoying clientele and co-workers etc.

I think it would be reasonable to hire someone for say $8 an hour into this type of position and then re-evaluate every 90 days or so for a year. If they are a good fit, going above and beyond etc, then they should get a raise, and not $0.50/hr but a decent raise and access to benefits.

We all don't need to go to college, drive BMWs and own McMansions. What's wrong with someone working at McDonald's, for a decent wage, being able to afford reasonable rent, reasonable car and healthcare?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
$15 maybe a stretch, but I think $12 is OK. I've worked in restaurants and fast food and it's not easy work. Cooks are on their feet for the entire shift, balancing tickets and servers who screw up orders and constantly need things. Servers and counter people have to deal with rude and indecisive customers. When the restaurant closes there is a lot of side work to be done, cleaning, taking out the trash etc. On top of this these types of jobs require night, weekend and holiday availability, when most would like to be home with their families. I think this work deserves more than $7.75 an hour without benefits.

I don't think people dream of these jobs, but not everyone is cut out for college or office work. Plus, someone has to do these jobs. I doubt there are enough HS and college kids to work all of the retail/service jobs that are out there. I think there is nothing wrong with someone making a career out of working at McDonald's. There are lawyers, there are accountants and there are fast food workers. It might not be glamorous but it's an honest job and you can't be brain dead to do it, it requires multitasking, dealing well under pressure, dealing with annoying clientele and co-workers etc.

I think it would be reasonable to hire someone for say $8 an hour into this type of position and then re-evaluate every 90 days or so for a year. If they are a good fit, going above and beyond etc, then they should get a raise, and not $0.50/hr but a decent raise and access to benefits.

We all don't need to go to college, drive BMWs and own McMansions. What's wrong with someone working at McDonald's, for a decent wage, being able to afford reasonable rent, reasonable car and healthcare?
I agree with this and your whole post in general. There is little more stressful then a person working hard and still having to struggle, Often living in poor condition rented rooms in bad areas when single or struggling to support themselves and their family if they have one at home. And fast food is an honest job that indeed is hard work mentally and physically. Kudos to your post.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:57 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Our local Ford stamping plant is expanding, and the starting wage there is $15 and change. I cannot see the Subway across the street paying anywhere near that much...

Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
working @ mcdonalds was never designed to be a career

employment there or any fast food is part time work

if you work there for a long time you need to try to get into mgmt

Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
A small suburb of Seattle called SeaTac (where our major airport is) just passed a $15/hr minimum wage that will take effect in Jan 2014. The group that did it says that they plan to try the same thing in the city of Seattle. I expect it will probably happen. Seattle is overwhelmingly left-wing, and just elected a self-proclaimed Marxist to the city council over a 16-yr incumbent moderate liberal democrat.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
When i do get fast food(which isn't that often) 2 things usually happen. The person taking my order can barely speak English, and they get my order wrong. 15 an hour, nah...i don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment