Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraA233 View Post
5 years ago I worked with an evil group of women, aged, 22 to mid 50's. They all gossiped and had a gang like mentality. I was there to do my work not bull**** and gossip. This made me an instant target.

Women can be very cruel.
Yes they damn well can, but they try to be all angelic and non-threatening.

The only problems I've ever had at work with anyone (not counting my days working part-time in retail) have been with women. I work in teaching, so it's a female dominated field. I find that women are catty, two-faced, and passive-aggressive -- hormonal, basically. And before you all blast me as sexist, I've been pretty much a low-key observer. It's other women who come to me and vent about how they can't stand working in an office full of other women, so put your chauvinist cards away.

I'll say, the majority of women I've worked with have been bona fide good people. I've worked with a fair number of male corkpullers; it's just that men tend to be upfront about who they are more, and tend to avoid manipulative office politics the way that women do.

There's this one dingbat in our 'school' who tried to tarnish me at a meeting in front of my colleagues. At first, my boss (who is female) sided with her. Problem is, this buttkisser of an employee is narcissistic and thinks she's always entitled to extra sick days, days off, and absences for God only knows what reasons. Gradually, I think I've restored my standing by simply being present and doing my job -- at her expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

The only problems I've ever had at work with anyone (not counting my days working part-time in retail) have been with women. I work in teaching, so it's a female dominated field. I find that women are catty, two-faced, and passive-aggressive -- hormonal, basically.

it's just that men tend to be upfront about who they are more, and tend to avoid manipulative office politics the way that women do.
I think the passive/aggressive thing is the worst, but it can be male/female, although females do more of it. I don't think hormones have anything to do w/ it! It's early training, home, society all of that crap--teaching woman not to just ask for what they want or figure things out themselves or just to do it. I've seen passive/aggressive men, too.
I like the upfront supervisors--it saves time and the energy drain of game playing. Last supervisor, she was nutty really, but very direct. Would curse, swear (in a health care setting, too), act bizarre, but no games.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
The worst kind of back stabber is the older **** at work that has had plenty of flings over the years and believes she has the power to influence others at work because of this.

Younger female employees that are more attractive or better workers are seen as a threat and so are new male employees that ignore her BS.

This is usually the person that makes it much harder on her coworkers as she's got by over the years by putting out instead of actual work performance.
Agreed -- this is a particularly nasty co-worker.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If you do your work, and have no errors, you don't need to worry about backstabbers.

It will just frustrate these people. As there is no ammunition for their sickness.

Conversely, if you are not doing your job, and someone reports that, how is that person a backstabber? That person is just doing CYA, so your lack of work ethic is not going to affect them.

If I report a co worker who lazes around, does just enough to keep a low profile, but a majority of their work falls on me....fine, I am a backstabber....but if this person had actually done their work....I would have had no reason to report it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
This is only true in the idealized world. Read this thread. I for one see plenty of evidence that you are wrong, but then again.... all of these people might be lying.

They are not lying I have had similar experiences at jobs. What Jasper12 said sounds good on paper but it doesn't transfer well to the real world. I've had people conspire against me at a number of places. From what I have gathered it's usually due to some sort of fear, selfishness, or jealousy. The old fat manager woman has it out for the younger cute new girl...the idiotic middle manager resents the new guy that's a shining star and is smarter than him, etc., etc. Temps trying to smear other temps for leverage for full time positions. Ahh I could go on and on. It's amazing how all these companies and their pathetic HR have time to plan parties, give stupid psyche tests, and monitor people dropping swear words - but then the biggest problem in the workplace right now...non-sexual harassment and bullying. They totally ignore it and let it go on along with the educated idiot managers with a business degree.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Actually, based on personal experience, doing your job well and not focusing on BS will make you a larger target for backstabbers. It doesn't matter that they are worthless liars - management will believe them because while you're busy working, they are busy sucking up. Then, when the layoffs hit, the workers are shown the door and the sociopath suck-ups keep their jobs.
Oh absolutely TRUE!!!

I've seen that happen at every job I've had over the last 25 years! It has also been my candid observation over that time that managers tend to identify with the slackers and protect them, while abusing and tormenting the hard workers. Anyone with a solid work ethic becomes a target for overworking and bullying, not least because they are a threat to the managers, who fear for their positions, and also because they hate anyone with a work ethic in the first place because those people make them look bad.

Over and over again I have seen the hard workers harassed into quitting, while the slackers and their protecting supervisors snickered at them behind their backs the whole time.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Actually, based on personal experience, doing your job well and not focusing on BS will make you a larger target for backstabbers. It doesn't matter that they are worthless liars - management will believe them because while you're busy working, they are busy sucking up. Then, when the layoffs hit, the workers are shown the door and the sociopath suck-ups keep their jobs.
Yeah I totally agree this is what I have seen as well and I have many friends that say the same thing. If you just work and mind your own business this is very threatening to certain people. I saw one woman who was a master at smearing other chicks just because she didn't like how they looked or because they were skinnier and prettier than her. She was also trying to move up in the company I believe and trying to gain overall social leverage within the company. She had a lot of contact with management so she used this to her advantage. This woman was a work friend and didn't really have any beef with me so I sort of got to see it all behind the scenes.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:09 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Oh absolutely TRUE!!!

I've seen that happen at every job I've had over the last 25 years! It has also been my candid observation over that time that managers tend to identify with the slackers and protect them, while abusing and tormenting the hard workers. Anyone with a solid work ethic becomes a target for overworking and bullying, not least because they are a threat to the managers, who fear for their positions, and also because they hate anyone with a work ethic in the first place because those people make them look bad.

Over and over again I have seen the hard workers harassed into quitting, while the slackers and their protecting supervisors snickered at them behind their backs the whole time.
I've seen it, too. A good worker who knows their stuff is threatening to managers. They'll throw them under the bus and protect the slacker. Crazy, dysfunctional stuff.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I've seen it, too. A good worker who knows their stuff is threatening to managers. They'll throw them under the bus and protect the slacker. Crazy, dysfunctional stuff.
Yeah what's frustrating is you have the baby boomer bootstrappers and wealthy top 1 percent business owners out there that don't understand any of this stuff. They say all you have to do is work hard and at the end of the rainbow is a pot of gold.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,209,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Oh absolutely TRUE!!!

There is a difference between working hard and smart. If you put in tons of extra time it could be a sign that your time management needs help or that there is too much work for 1 person to do. If you do the math on all the extra hours, you could find that you are actually making less money.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,722 times
There was a very emotionally-unstable man at my last office that I worked at. He was always talking about other co-workers behind their backs. I strategically made an alliance with him in hopes that he would only speak highly of me. I was very friendly to him and always offered to help him out when I wasn't busy. I think it actually might have worked out alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment