Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
Good post. This is why, as a member of Gen X, I often side more with the Millenials. I am not blaming the Boomers, they had their issues too, like social and racial upheaval, Viet Nam and their own recessions. But on other threads on this subject they are very condescending to the Millenials. It comes off as callous.They make it seem like they had it the worst,and these "kids" should stop crying. However, I maintain that their parents,(and my grand parents)The Greatest Generation, had it far worse when they were growing up. But many don't want to hear that. Not all Boomers are like that,but far too many.
In 1969 I was approaching the end of my one year tour in Vietnam and remember how we celebrated when the weekly count KIA's on our side dropped below 100. At the highest I think it got to around 400 weekly during my term. That is not wounded either, it was dead.

Oh, and I didn't join the military either... was not my idea to go.

Imagine if we were losing 400 weekly in Afghanistan.

In the 60's and 70's the job market in computers wasn't anything like it is today because we didn't have computers.

It does appear we earned more money based on inflation but some things, like telephone calls from a phone booth, cost a lot of money.

I think the idea we earned more money is an illusion of sorts. Can a 22 year old single make it on his own earning $12/hr with a full time job today? I think so if you go back and live like we did in 1967 when we didn't have computers, computer games, cell phones, CD music players, play stations or cable televisions. How much a month do you spend on cable television, internet connection and cell phones? In a course of one year how much could you save if you didn't have any of these things?

We didn't have debt in 1967 because credit cards weren't readily in use yet. Credit cards were for the really well off and when you got your Shell or AMEX card you were absolutely expected to pay it off in full or lose it. The only people to have "revolving credit cards" was Sears and Penny's. It was different, it was a time when if you couldn't pay cash for it you didn't get it with maybe the exception of a house or car.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, bought new cars. When I was growing up we always had a new used car to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

3) I am dang sick of the "nobody handed me anything!" attitude problem among older "bootstrappers." Unless you foraged for your own food when an infant and taught yourself in school, guess what - people DID hand you something. I sick of this "self-made man" nonsense.
I hate when people act like nobody gave them anything, because at some point in your life, someone took a chance and gave you something (like a job).

I got a job when I was 16, my boss didn't have to hire me, I had no previous experience - he took a chance. I'm still thankful for him for doing that. I don't walk around and act like I did it all myself.

I went to college with like no debt because, luckily, I received a 100% academic scholarship. Someone GAVE me that. Yes, I got good grades in high school and yes I had very high ACT/SAT scores, but let's not act like high school is super difficult for the average American person. So, yes, I did work to get the grades to make me "qualified" for the academic scholarship, but at the end of the day someone somewhere saw my application and said that they'd take a chance and GIVE me that scholarship. For all they knew, I could've failed out of college and the scholarship would've been a total waste of their resources.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Moderator cut: snip

I AM a millenial. I'm not whining about myself. I'm happy with every situation ive provided for myself. I'm 25 years old and I'm annoyed by the crap attitudes of MY generation.

I even spent 3 years from 17-20 working as a CNA in nursing homes. 5 years ago... making about $14/hr. That wasnt too terrible.

CNA's are always in demand. How many of these self entitled kids my age would EVER. Consider going to work and changing 20 diapers for 90 year old residents? Giving them baths? Working in Alzheimer units? I have because it paid and I actually loved the residents.

Most people my age would rather sit at home and latch onto the parental teet and do nothing as opposed to that work.

I had many more physical jobs after that to get to where I am today. My situation has come from HARD work. Not luck. Work that 90% of my peers my age would never consider.. who wants to lay on a piece of steel and weld on the ground some weeks for 60 hrs in 110 degree July Texas heat? Not many. Yeah I have a good office job for the most part now, but I'm here because I took a path others could not handle.

I'll respond to more posts individually tomorrow. Going to bed. Meeting at 6 a.m.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-06-2013 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Orphaned portion removed (quoted post deleted)

Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I AM a millenial. I'm not whining about myself. I'm happy with every situation ive provided for myself. I'm 25 years old and I'm annoyed by the crap attitudes of MY generation.

I even spent 3 years from 17-20 working as a CNA in nursing homes. 5 years ago... making about $14/hr. That wasnt too terrible.

CNA's are always in demand. How many of these self entitled kids my age would EVER. Consider going to work and changing 20 diapers for 90 year old residents? Giving them baths? Working in Alzheimer units? I have because it paid and I actually loved the residents.

Most people my age would rather sit at home and latch onto the parental teet and do nothing as opposed to that work.

I had many more physical jobs after that to get to where I am today. My situation has come from HARD work. Not luck. Work that 90% of my peers my age would never consider.. who wants to lay on a piece of steel and weld on the ground some weeks for 60 hrs in 110 degree July Texas heat? Not many. Yeah I have a good office job for the most part now, but I'm here because I took a path others could not handle.

I'll respond to more posts individually tomorrow. Going to bed. Meeting at 6 a.m.

Correction. You're annoyed by a small portion of your generation. Clearly, you're hanging out with the wrong crowds. The majority of Millennials I know are all extremely hard working and independently successful. Of course, that picture tends to be different when I'm hanging out with my non-professional friends back in Detroit as opposed to my professional friends back in Denver. Get some new friends, I bet your perspective will change.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 PM

18 posts, read 232,297 times
Quote:
You sound like a very unfulfilled person whose position is of little consequence outside of your own mind.

And? Is this a thinly veiled attempt gaining credibility?

Many of them would. Have you seen nursing school enrollment and the enrollment of it's subsidiaries/related fields? Are you that disconnected from reality- or just too busy being awesome to take notice? Even for a Texan, you're a couple steps behind.

Youth UE 18-25 is what, 35%? So... 35%<51%, or if we use some deductive reasoning here, 35% is below a majority or in your use, "most." Busted argument.

I had many more physical jobs after that to get to where I am today. My situation has come from HARD work. Not luck. Work that 90% of my peers my age would never consider..
who wants to lay on a piece of steel and weld on the ground some weeks for 60 hrs in 110 degree July Texas heat? Not many. Yeah I have a good office job for the most part now, but I'm here because I took a path others could not handle.
Go into any agricultural community here in CA like where I'm based, Salinas. There's kids here that'd do it no problem for half the pay. Maybe in Texas it's impressive to weld all day- here it's a coveted position because it's easy. Point and shoot. Being an irrigator or berry picker or artichoke harvester is twice as hard. IMO, irrigators have the hardest job around. Running from 9pm to 6am slogging through mud and sprinklers in the dark. It's cold, clammy and you're trying not to get mugged or shot in a field where no one will notice til day break. Welding? Heh.

6a.m.? Another credibility bait? We'll be up and having meetings on the hoods of trucks at 4:30am. See how this works?

You make a lot of assumptions and believe it's honestly rooted in an artificially inflated belief in yourself.

For every millenial you complain about I can name one that's succeeding beyond you and I put together. It's all relative.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 232,297 times
Also, your hard word got you where you are, not luck?

Lol. Go grab a shovel and start digging a hole for 18 hours a day for 10 years. That's hard work but it will get you nowhere. Luck is always in play.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaAg View Post
You make a lot of assumptions and believe it's honestly rooted in an artificially inflated belief in yourself.

For every millenial you complain about I can name one that's succeeding beyond you and I put together. It's all relative.
Really? Weld for half that amount?

Welding is a skilled labor. Is berry picking? Thats what we used to have slaves for years ago. That's hardly a skilled position. If welding is point and shoot then why dont they go do it? We can't find qualified pipe welders for thr life of us to fill these 80k-100k/year positions. Everyone complains about work, then why did my former company fly in 200 Mexicans from Mexico and pay for their Visas in 6 month intervals because we can't find americans to take these jobs? I find it amusing people complain about their $13hr retail job when we cant find craft employees to pay triple that. Oh yeah, there seems to be a gap. The smart people don't want to do physical work, and many people who will do thr physical work aren't quite skilled or smart enough to do the skilled work.

Hard work is regarding makibg smart decisions and calculated risks. Not digging a hole or picking berries. If that's your idea of hard work to move up in life that takes a lot.

Would you say the same about MD's or Lawyers? They just got lucky? Or was it hard work. With your argument every successful person is lucky. Ha...

Old 12-06-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Correction. You're annoyed by a small portion of your generation. Clearly, you're hanging out with the wrong crowds. The majority of Millennials I know are all extremely hard working and independently successful. Of course, that picture tends to be different when I'm hanging out with my non-professional friends back in Detroit as opposed to my professional friends back in Denver. Get some new friends, I bet your perspective will change.
Actually, the complaining I see is mostly on this forum or occasionally through acquaintances on facebook. All of my personal friends and family are pretty accomplished and successful.

I haven't been to Detroit but one of my best friends lives there. I have friends in Denver and recently spent a week there. Great city.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:35 AM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: snip

Oho he has a meeting, folks!
$14/hour as a CNA? Dream on.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
Oho he has a meeting, folks!
$14/hour as a CNA? Dream on.
To be exact is was $13.85. I never made less than $11/hr as a CNA and worked 3 different jobs..

Now I take home over 5x what I took home working full time as a CNA.. I'm salary though and also get vacation and full insurance.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment